Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 AM

Default doe identification

I've been having a problem. The area I hunt holds lots of white tails and mullies. The problem I am having is that when the doe are looking at me straight on, I am slower than I would like at identifying if it's a whitetail or mullie and hence and slow to shoot prior to them bounding back into the bush. My question for you guys is there any sure method to tell the difference when they are looking straight on? There is the ear size of course, but any other clear identifiers from head on?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ab View Post
I've been having a problem. The area I hunt holds lots of white tails and mullies. The problem I am having is that when the doe are looking at me straight on, I am slower than I would like at identifying if it's a whitetail or mullie and hence and slow to shoot prior to them bounding back into the bush. My question for you guys is there any sure method to tell the difference when they are looking straight on? There is the ear size of course, but any other clear identifiers from head on?
Just keep looking at them and making sure what they are, after you have looked at a few thousand over a couple years the subtle differences in body movement, mannerisms, shape, profiles, color, etc become apparent and jump out at you. Pretty soon you will be able to identify them nearly instantly. I know a few guys who have come from where there are no muleys have problems at first, but after hunting a season or two they can tell pretty quick.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 AM

You should look up some pics and flip through them until you can tell them apart. Mulies have hughe ears that are hard to miss. That is the best way to tell but if your not sure of your target you are better off to pass until you can tell for sure. Better safe then sorry..
Old 11-25-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Threat View Post
You should look up some pics and flip through them until you can tell them apart. Mulies have hughe ears that are hard to miss. That is the best way to tell but if your not sure of your target you are better off to pass until you can tell for sure. Better safe then sorry..
^^^ Great answer. It will come with time and practice. Just don't shoot the wrong type by mistake. Head on can sometimes be hard to tell on does but keep looking you will "get it". Good luck and safe hunting.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 AM

I hear this from my pals that have just taken up hunting all the time. Case in point, its just experience man. Heck i still question it occasionally. Typically i go with ears, colour, and mannerism.

A side note, i habe seen some mule bucks with WT ish antlers andvice versa. My point, dont shoot until you are concrete positive.

Itll come in time.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Gone Hunting

Probably when they take off you know for certain which they are.

So have a "DEER TALK" the deer stopper call handy. Blow the call as soon as the does head out and most often they will stop and come back for a look and give you a second chance.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 11-25-2012, 07:39 PM

Experience is probably the best solution.
It takes time and as said already, looking at lots of deer will make you proficient at id'ing deer.
Don't think you are inferior for asking, and by asking it shows you are an ethical hunter.
For me, especially at this time of year when they have their winter coats, the color is what helps me. Wt's are very ''light brown'' right now.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Experience is probably the best solution.
It takes time and as said already, looking at lots of deer will make you proficient at id'ing deer.
Don't think you are inferior for asking, and by asking it shows you are an ethical hunter.
For me, especially at this time of year when they have their winter coats, the color is what helps me. Wt's are very ''light brown'' right now.
X2

All the best to you !
Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's good to know I'm not unique in asking this question.

Yeah, once they move ID'ing them isn't generally an issue. The deer stopper is a great idea. I'm going to try that next time I'm out. It may just buy me the time I need.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 PM

I can usually tell the difference by ears, but that isn't conclusive enough to pull the trigger. I have to see the rear end.