Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow
Default Tag soup for you guys?

So who else is getting overly anxious seeing all these awesome bucks on here and still has a tag burning a whole their pocket?
Old 11-22-2012, 11:37 AM

My thoughts exactly! Awesome year for heavy antlered bucks!

Me...but going North eaqrly next week for an Elk and Whitetail buck....feeling confident. Nice and cold....just the way it should be. Hope to see some action. had a couple chances but....well, never capitalized. Trading in the bow for the gun.

Default Me

Getting out Sunday morning for my last trip.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Tag soup for me in Alberta...heading to Sask on Saturday however for the next week to hunt
Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 AM

I'm starting to feel the pressure. I still have two good ones coming to my cam site but I never seem to be around when they show up. I'm hoping this weekend is my time! I need a good deer to go along with the 12lb walleye I caught last month to make my fall complete.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:48 AM

Still waiting for mr big to come by not to anxious yet I feel this weekend it will happen or I will take a couple days off next week.
Of course already harvesting an elk and moose means the freezer is full but I do have a perfect spot on the wall for the right whitetail.....I will probably shoot a deer either way on the last day to get some jerky made.

I have rattled almost every time I have hunted since November 1st and have yet to have a single deer come check it out ....can't belive it never had that happen before.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:58 AM
sheephunter

I'll likely eat my tag again this year but still have 5 more days to fill it so you never know. Been seeing a few good bucks but nothing outstanding yet. I'm getting used to the flavour of tag soup anyhow.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:01 PM

I'm cool with skiers, but when they step on my board in the lift line...
Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread, just reminded me of something.
Years ago when I first went skiing, I was on the T bar with a little guy, maybe 6 or 7 years old. We were half way up and he says, "first time sking mister". I said yes, just learning. He proceeded to put his ski under mine sending me off the T bar. He was laughing his little head off. I tried catching the little bugger all day, never did. I saw him at the end of the day and he waved at me. I waved back and we were both laughing,what a kid.
PG
Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 PM

It's killing me seeing all these monster bucks on here. I hunted a bunch in October but have been grounded so far for the whole month of November. My wife is a week past due on our third child and I was told to stay home until the baby comes. I sure hope that I can get out and fill a tag before the end of the season or I'll miss my venison steaks this winter.

It sure is great to see some of the busters taken this year and read the stories here on this forum that I stumbled upon only a couple of months ago.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:10 PM

Guess that's why they call it hunting and not shopping. If it was guaranteed it wouldn't be hunting. I'm learning hunting on crown land is much different than hunting farmer fields. And getting out there is what hunting is about. As for tag soup... can say I don't care for it much.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:11 PM

My dads feeling the pressure on his moose draw but we never sweat over whitetail tag soup.

ive seen over 50 deer inside of a 100 yards this november with two of those bucks 150-155"...zero shots fired.....i have no issue hanging my whitetail tag on the tree if the right buck doesnt show himself.

one of the young steers out back might take one for the team if we dont find that moose though
Old 11-22-2012, 12:13 PM

Meh !

Its early yet
Old 11-22-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
So who else is getting overly anxious seeing all these awesome bucks on here and still has a tag burning a whole their pocket?
I don't make soup but I hang mine on the wall. Stick thim on since they changed the system. Call it the wall of shame, darn shame I didn't fill it. Oh well maybe next year.
PG
Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a little redneck View Post
Guess that's why they call it hunting and not shopping. If it was guaranteed it wouldn't be hunting. I'm learning hunting on crown land is much different than hunting farmer fields. And getting out there is what hunting is about. As for tag soup... can say I don't care for it much.
You are very right...I only hunt crown land here and its a tough slug since its all bush. I did have chances one some smaller bucks but I dont need to shoot a deer just for the sake of it. I would rather let them grow for another year. I am use to tag soup as well...I have an entire year to get the bad taste out of my mouth before the next season.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:15 PM

There have been a ton of incredible deer posted here this year. Still have my buck tag and the rest of the month to hunt

Hoping to be able to brag on here in early December!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

x2 on the crown land. All bush. A absolute @@@@ to hunt.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:18 PM

Default tag soup

its seems to be a elk hunters old reciepeme thinks theres more tags then young legal bulls or what
Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 PM

Haven't filled a tag yet! Even bought supplemental doe tags. Gonna have a lot of Christmas tree ornaments!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moline View Post
Haven't filled a tag yet! Even bought supplemental doe tags. Gonna have a lot of Christmas tree ornaments!
Same here!

Incredigirl gave me the nod to take the weekend to chase 'em one last time... We shall see. I have had a few in the crosshairs but didn't pull the trigger - I'm getting sappy in my old age, I guess...
Old 11-22-2012, 12:45 PM

Got the next 4 days to try and thicken the soup...
Old 11-22-2012, 12:52 PM

I got me a nice whitetail buck down last weekend. took all next week off to get my muley buck and late season cow elk tag filled!!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:56 PM

My husband is trying his damnedest to find a buck bigger than mine....

Hunting 2012 (Hubby & I)
2 - Antlerless Mule Deer
1 - Antlered Whitetail
Old 11-22-2012, 12:57 PM

No tag soup - looks more like XMAS tree oranaments again...my wife just put the tree up yesterday afternoon MUCH to the delight of my youngest boy...his older bro too when he got home from school.

I will see how it goes....I will slip away from work for the afternoon tomorrow and hunt sunday and probably monday afternoon, tuesday afternoon and maybe part of wednesday then I'm hooped!!

Predator hunting I come as of december!
Old 11-22-2012, 12:58 PM

Pretty sure the Bear tag is going in the pot... got a couple more days to try use the Elk and/or Mule Deer tags. But I am having venison and barley soup for lunch compliments of a White Tailed doe. Could be worse.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 PM

Looks like I'll be having a large pot of tag soup. I still have three WT tags to fill and 3 days to do it in. I wonder what kind of seasoning goes good with tag adhesive
Old 11-22-2012, 01:51 PM

i figured i was gonna be eating my tag this year after the beast of a whitetail i had been chasing stopped showing up in my area. found the buck in a feild with about 30 other deer on a familys land that doesnt allow hunting and thats where he stayed.
my last night out for hunting was last saturday. popped a small 5x5 so i'd have some meat for the freezer. hope i find big boy again next year.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:29 PM

My 15 yr old son took a smaller 4x5 WT in mid Oct, and the wife took a 3x3 last week, her first.
Me, well.. ha, still waiting, has not even been a case of waiting for someting bigger, seen a 2 pt, and the wifes 3 pt, and a ton of doe, and about 25 days in the field too.

TBark
Old 11-22-2012, 02:44 PM

Settled for a 125 class buck on Sunday but I fear there will be bull moose tag soup in my future.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:51 PM

No soup yet. Heading out tomorrow to find a deer. At the very least ill get a doe for some burgers and jerky