Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-21-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Im still trying to picture the look of that scope on an old 99. It's a awkward pairing thats obviously very utilitarian!

I picture 99s with glossy 4x Leupolds or era Lyman Alaskans and Noske 2x in adjustable mounts.

Dang it. I need another 99....
LOL - yeah, not what one would expect to see on a 99 lever for sure. I'm pretty sure the 99C had a 4x Bushnell on it when I bought it. I can check, that scope ended up on my Ruger 10/22

It did fit nicely and I used it on the 99C for two years. Then I got some surprise x'mas money and there was this sale on at Cabela's and the Remington 700 I really wanted was $100 off and next thing you know, I'm moving the scope to my Remmy.

If I had the $ for another real good quality scope, like the Swarovski X5, I'd put the Z5 back on my Savage. They were a sweet combination!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-21-2017, 01:45 PM

I shoot a fair bit, upgraded the trigger to a Timney as well. Also had a brake installed on this particular rifle with zeiss conquest HD5 5-25. This set up shoots consistently between .5-.75” groups at 100 yards with 185gr bergers. Same set up with fusion ammo is more like 1.5-2” groupings.

Thanks for the tips though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
Thanks!

I didn't, but should have mentioned, I've never had one of these fragment. Even the one that hit the ball of a moose's shoulder bone. While deformed more so than any other, was one solid piece.

I laughed when I saw this. Shot a deer that was running away one time. When we dressed it, the chest cavity was full of blood. I didn't think much about it until we skinned it out a little later at camp. Could not find the entry/exit wounds. We (one hunting partner and I - he helped skin it out and was with me when I shot it) figure it went in right beside the bunghole and exited out the throat although we never could find entry/exit holes in the hide. I figure the bullet cut the main arteries under the spine as it passed through thus the blood.

No evidence of a bullet anywhere until we ground the trim meat and the grinder stopped up on a .22 bullet some ignorant horses behind had shot the deer with at some point far enough before hunting season that there was no evidence of a wound of any kind anywhere. Suspect the bullet came out of back left hip.

I don't consider myself a sniper by any stretch of the imagination but I spend a lot of time at the range and out in the country shooting at distances up to 600 yards. I have good guns and an excellent scope which matters every bit as much as practicing.

I've had my Swarovski scope on two different rifles since buying it and shot exceptional groups with these rounds. With the Savage 99C sitting on my led sled I put 4 rounds so tight at 100 yards you could cover the holes with a quarter.

I shoot 1" and under groups all the time with both rifles freehand [off of a rest (Savage) or the bipod (Remington 700)] It's probably worth noting I put a Timney trigger on my Remington 700. The trigger makes a big difference. I have it tuned to 3.5 lb's pull and no slack. It's a nice wide shoe for positive contact and it breaks so precisely I never feel it......even when playing with a snap cap just to build the muscle memory in my finger.

I suggest if you're having grouping problems with these rounds try using a led sled or something like it. If you're all over the place it could be something is up with your rifle/scope. If you shoot nice tight groups with the sled, then you know you need to get out and practice a little more often. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the rifle. Not all rounds work as well with one gun as another. I just got lucky when the same ammo works as well in the Remington as it did in the Savage.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
I shoot a fair bit, upgraded the trigger to a Timney as well. Also had a brake installed on this particular rifle with zeiss conquest HD5 5-25. This set up shoots consistently between .5-.75” groups at 100 yards with 185gr bergers. Same set up with fusion ammo is more like 1.5-2” groupings.

Thanks for the tips though.
Sounds like a sweet setup you have!

Chances are it's just a case of that particular ammo doesn't work well with that gun. Like I said, I got lucky with the same stuff working well in both the Savage and the Remmy. You've definitely found the right ammo for your rig though judging by the groupings!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 11-22-2017, 12:29 PM

Federal Fusions are loaded with the factory equivalent of the Speer Deep Curl bullet.
These are bonded bullets, designed for good expansion and high weight retention. Fusion ammo seems to be accurate. In my mind it is about the best bang for the buck if you are looking for an all around load that will be good for deer, elk, bear etc without switching loads. I have seen deer hit with frangible bullets that have gone farther than 50 yards with their lungs shot out. Not sure why we need softball sized exit wounds or would even want that on a deer.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenmil View Post
Federal Fusions are loaded with the factory equivalent of the Speer Deep Curl bullet.
These are bonded bullets, designed for good expansion and high weight retention. Fusion ammo seems to be accurate. In my mind it is about the best bang for the buck if you are looking for an all around load that will be good for deer, elk, bear etc without switching loads. I have seen deer hit with frangible bullets that have gone farther than 50 yards with their lungs shot out. Not sure why we need softball sized exit wounds or would even want that on a deer.
Only difference is the deep curls are a flat base