Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 PM

Default ebay Ice Fishing Cameras

Has anybody here tried one of those cheap ice fishing cameras from ebay? I'm thinking of rolling the dice on one as an additional way to keep my kids entertained. Not interested in sinking a lot of cash into one since I prefer my marcum and don't anticipate the camera getting a ton of use.

Professional Fish Finder Underwater Ice Fishing Camera 7 Color HD Monitor
Old 11-20-2017, 05:35 PM

Was curious myself please update if you do go ahead with it.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:11 PM

I bought that one last year was ok until the LED light stopped working
Old 11-20-2017, 08:07 PM

I have never bought one, but I had a guy approach me asking if he could put his camera down my hole and check it out. It looked like the same one as the one in the link, it seem to be fine and clear but I don't know about how long it would last. I was even thinking if getting one.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:47 AM

If you have a GoPro and an iPad/iPhone/tablet you can use them as an underwater live view camera. You just need an antenna cable for the wifi.
Use the search to find out the details.
I bought a dirt cheap IR security camera that I was going to rig up but never got around to it. I have a marcum yet don’t often have the water clarity or daylight enough to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2017, 08:01 AM

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Professional-...-/122369635573
Same one $40 cheaper looks like

Old 11-21-2017, 09:41 AM

If you don't want to spend a ton and just entertain the kids check on kijiji you will most likely find a decent black and white for maybe 100-150 and they work just fine.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:33 PM

Just bought one on amazon looks same $152 all in. Picture in house is crystal clear and color great. Hopefully get out soon and try it at lac ste anne. 14 reviews on amazon were all 5/5 with one exception. If it works price is right.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 PM

I bought one two years ago and have used it for two Winters now.
The picture is great if you are looking directly at the camera. Off to the side even a little and your out of luck.
It folds up nicely into a carrying case.
The battery is sealed so when it dies you can't change it out you must charge it.
The cord to the Camera is very thin so difficult to pan sometimes.
Mine does not have the recording feature but I wish I would have spent the extra money for it.
Overall, it's not even close to being the best but it's great for a guy on a budget, even better for a guy whose wife makes him stick to the budget.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:36 PM

Just back from lac ste anne with my new cheap chinese camera. It worked great!! Its a color one and video was clear and color decent. Great contrast in picture and you could see a long ways. It was outside tent maybe 3 feet from my hole and 8 feet from buddies and I could pick up his jig very clearly and see fish quite aways behind his jig albeit they were just shapes behind his. Within 10 feet very clear. Buddy had a black and white marcum as did another buddy fishing 100 feet away. Both were very impressed with picture quality and at only $152 shipping and tax included can;t lose at this point. Time will tell how it holds up. I contacted factory in china and got a second battery for $35 shipped and tax included. Battery lasted the whole 6 hrs on lake and was still strong.I used a Aqua-view Mopod3 for directional movement and you did have to put an extra loop in the keep it from slipping down as camera cable is thin
Gord
Old 12-04-2017, 07:17 PM

I have one too. Works great. You can get it cheaper on aliexpress. I got mine for 100. Btw, I find that if you use a bucket lid and those dollar store food saver clips, works as a great panned.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:55 PM

Muzzys no-name camera definitely out performed my black and white Marcum for about 1/3 of the price. Hands down.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:09 AM

I have one of those cameras. Don't need it. $50.00
Old 12-08-2017, 11:01 AM

If you can deliver it in Edmonton I'll buy that camera off you.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:49 PM

ive bought two off ebay. first one worked well for 3-4 years then crapped out. bought a second identical looking one but havent used it. didnt pay over $60 for either one.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal.b. View Post
ive bought two off ebay. first one worked well for 3-4 years then crapped out. bought a second identical looking one but havent used it. didnt pay over $60 for either one.

Care to share a link? I’ve seen them all on EBay and at $100 you get a 3.5” screen one. Not calling you a liar, but maybe prices have changed or I’m missing something.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:42 PM

been too long since i bought the last camera. no idea who was the seller now. sorry
Old 12-11-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Care to share a link? I’ve seen them all on EBay and at $100 you get a 3.5” screen one. Not calling you a liar, but maybe prices have changed or I’m missing something.
This is the one I ended up buying. It's currently on a slow boat from china, but I believe it's the same one that muzzy has. $140 CAD, all in. There are a bunch of other brands but they all look pretty much the same. I'm hoping to have it in my hands for the Christmas break.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:08 PM

The boat from China isn’t the problem lately. It’s Canadian customs and Post. Packages get there in a week from China, yet the backlog is around 3 months now.
Canada Post says because of free trade they get nothing for processing Chinese parcels so can’t afford to put resources towards it that match demand.
If you want Chinese stuff in a reasonable amount of time, pay for the shipping if it’s available.
Or wait 3 months or more. I’m getting stuff I ordered in Aug-sept now.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:16 PM

You can get the same unit from Amazon way quicker but $20 more.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:53 AM

You dont wait near that long in Amazon I got my camera delivered in 16 days and I live in rural area to boot No charge on shipping either. I also contacted the chinese company once I had the camera and ordered an additional battery $35 free shipping and it arrived in 20 days. Order was confirmed same day I emailed them very efficient. So far the camera continues to work great clear as all get out.
Gord
Old 12-14-2017, 12:51 AM

I bought like 6 or so 12v batteries of a guy on a Facebook group for $5 each. There the same size as the flasher ones. I was looking to find one of those cheap ones without a battery.
Plus I use a vaporizer and have plenty of 18650 lithium ion cells around. I salvaged a bunch from laptop batteries too. Just need to spot weld tab on them. Made my own with guts from a microwave oven and YouTube.
In fact I ordered a IR security camera off deal extreme for $5-$10 and had plans on making my own ‘ebay fishing camera’ with just parts I have already. 14” screen to boot.
Then I found a Marcum VS380 in a package deal, and shelves to whole plan. I have a couple rear view cameras now also, which I think would be even better with the fisheye type lens, for more viewing angle.
However I honestly never bring the camera. It gets too much, and either too murky to see, or too dark. I figure if it’s light enough to see around then it’s too bright for walleye. The best I’ve gotten is a bite come out of the near blackness of dusk, and a flash of him turning to fight.
Considering all the time I put into getting that shot, it’s just not worth the work to me.
Now, clear lakes for pike, whites, trout and such, there awesome.
I almost always fish alone and even when I’m not, my guest is a tit, so doing everything myself leave me only time to fish.
Long ass story short if your handy, you could rig up one of these for peanuts, nifty case included. Yet setting it all up will cost you a catch or 2, and maybe a couple grey hairs. And if your not in a tent their impossible to see.
Best rig I had was a GoPro and an IPad. Wifi via antenna cable. Great picture. I made a tobacco tub look like a rock, grade 3 style, and the camera on top, and gravel inside. Aquarium weed decor around the antenna and cable. Only issue is a second or two delay from the wifi.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:26 PM

You never catch walleye during day?? We usually limit out on slave all winter between noon and 3pm