Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2015, 11:11 AM

If anyone's looking for a deal on an everyday drinker, Solo Liquor has the 15 yr Glenlivet on sale for $46, $13 off. Just grabbed 2 bottles for the cabinet, lol.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:16 AM

Smile best scotch

To my mind the best of it tastes like bad wine. Get a bottle of Maker's Mark Bourbon or Lamb's Navy and enjoy a real drink!
Old 06-19-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
To my mind the best of it tastes like bad wine. Get a bottle of Maker's Mark Bourbon or Lamb's Navy and enjoy a real drink!
I'm thinking you may have accidentally stumbled across the wrong thread. The ladies section is further down. 😹

That being said, I do like Forty Creek.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post

I did make one purchase, but not Ardbeg (my supply of that is doing ok). But I did notice this thanks to TC. Looking forward to a cold rainy night to try it out:
Oh you are going to be blown away by that one! If you like Ardbeg, then you may survive the Octomore...it is crazy. How did you like the Supernova, I have a bottle of that stashed, and have never even tried it yet? Saving it for an Occasion.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-19-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Oh you are going to be blown away by that one! If you like Ardbeg, then you may survive the Octomore...it is crazy. How did you like the Supernova, I have a bottle of that stashed, and have never even tried it yet? Saving it for an Occasion.....
Where did you find this Octomore? I'd be interested in checking it out. Will try the local co-op, which has a great selection, but would be interested in knowing.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-19-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Where did you find this Octomore? I'd be interested in checking it out. Will try the local co-op, which has a great selection, but would be interested in knowing.
I picked mine up locally at Vintage Wine & Spirits....my understanding is that only a very limited number made it to AB., something like a dozen cases? Check out your high end local boozerie, you may find some. Chateau is bound to have some, if you have any trouble getting a bottle let me know and I can see about picking one up here for you....TC

Edit: Just called Vintage and they have 21 bottles! so, if you'd like one let me know and I'll grab one for you, we can work out details. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-31-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I picked mine up locally at Vintage Wine & Spirits....my understanding is that only a very limited number made it to AB., something like a dozen cases? Check out your high end local boozerie, you may find some. Chateau is bound to have some, if you have any trouble getting a bottle let me know and I can see about picking one up here for you....TC

Edit: Just called Vintage and they have 21 bottles! so, if you'd like one let me know and I'll grab one for you, we can work out details. TC
Chateau does indeed have the 6.3, along with the 6.1 and another (forget which).

Just stopped by there and grabbed a couple bottles of wine, along with a 21 yr Aberfeldy. Had a sample of the 6.3 and it was a mouthful, phenomenal stuff. Filed it away for another day though. Then went and grabbed a bite to eat, the whole time the Octomore was calling me back, lol. Sooo, back to Chateau I went for the second time in an hour. Poof, there goes my slush fund for the week (month?). Hey, you only live once, right?

Old 01-31-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Chateau does indeed have the 6.3, along with the 6.1 and another (forget which).

Just stopped by there and grabbed a couple bottles of wine, along with a 21 yr Aberfeldy. Had a sample of the 6.3 and it was a mouthful, phenomenal stuff. Filed it away for another day though. Then went and grabbed a bite to eat, the whole time the Octomore was calling me back, lol. Sooo, back to Chateau I went for the second time in an hour. Poof, there goes my slush fund for the week (month?). Hey, you only live once, right?

I opened one of mine a while ago, and have enjoyed a bit of it, and still have another put away. You won't regret having it I'm sure. On another note, a new favorite is the Highland Park Dark Origins. A friend brought it to a tasting we do, and it won the straw poll for the night so I bought one. Well worth the price (sub $100). Sweet and smoky, a great combination. And the color is amazing too, long legs, great long chocolate and spice finish.

http://highlandpark.co.uk/shop/highl...-dark-origins/

Old 06-18-2016, 11:03 AM

Well, we had another fine evening at Vintage Spirits last night at the tasting. It was unusual for me in that virtually everything on the menu was new to me. Some I enjoyed, some I really enjoyed, and a couple were standouts that I would add to my drinking collection at some point. I don't want to review everything, but will mention the two that I particularly liked.

First, the Talisker Port Ruighe. I have always enjoyed the Talisker, the Distiller's Editions were some of my favorites. This ranks up there with them. It's a no age statement release (though I'd guess it in the 8-10 year range, young charicteristics), it has just the right balance between smoke and sweet at about 20 ppm phenols (estimated), 45.8% abv, it is finished in Port casks and has a lovely dark amber color, good legs, and just plain yummy! A bit of brine and mocha, and maybe a bit of orange? I could enjoy a few of these in an evening, a drop of water really opened it up, though it does have a bit of 'bite' to it, not as smooth as the more mature Distiller's Editions as to be expected. Price point is fair at around $110

My evening favorite was a given before we started, as I love the big smoke and peat. We had the Bruichladdich Octomore 7.4 to finish off and at 169 ppm phenols, it has big smoke. This is my favorite of the Octomore range so far, at a cask strength of 61.2! You need to put a BIG drop of water in this one! The nose is very deceiving, you don't get the smoke that the palate does, but it's not a bad thing. The most interesting thing is that even though it is only a 5 yr old, and intensely smokey, it has a lot of complexity and wonderful notes of apricot, honey, cloves, and citrus. Of the Octomores, its is the most 'gentle' on the palate, and the finish is predictably looooong. Really liked this one. Price point at $140 was quite fair imo.

Neither of these came home with me (yet), as the new release of the Laphroaig 'Lore' was on the shelf ($200), and this is one of my favorite distilleries and I had heard rave reviews on it. I did try a healthy dram when I got home, but can't review in fairness as by that point I could have probably been drinking it from a boot and it would have still been lovely! I will get it reviewed in the near future, when I can have a solo sip with it.

Not on the tasting menu, but wanted to also mention, was the newest Glendronach that I got my hooks into (4 bottles worth!). The Glendronach is on the opposite side of the profile universe from where I usually go, but I love them all, they are the dessert of whisky for me. This current lot is a 1995 Single Cask offering (cask #5959 to be precise 692 bottles), 18 years, and finished in Tawny Port pipes. It has a deep amber, almost ruby color, not as much as the 21 year old Sherry, but very nice. Nose is so sweet and light, you get lots of berry notes. On the palate, huge fruit! Raspberry and apple, but also with a bit of a bite of pepper to it. At 53.6% avb, you need to add a good drop of water to this one, and let it breathe and open up a bit. Nose it long! This one is just a delight, with a long sweet finish, and even after the smoke and peat of the Octomore, then the Laphroaig Lore, I still finished off the evening with a small dram of the Glendronach (I had a friend over and we were having an extended tasting)....and it was the perfect finish of sweet. If you can find it, grab it!

Maybe Sunday I'll give the Lore a proper review. Right now, I need to go drink a litre of water. Cheers!

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 06-18-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:17 AM

Seems to be a few fairly knowledgeable scotch drinkers here. Any of you know of one that is similar to the BenRaich 16? Or to the Glenfiddtch 15 distillers edition? Those have been my favourite ones and looking for similar ones. Just picked up a Dalmore 18 looking forward to trying that. Also have been going through oban and a Hazelburn both are decent. Great thread btw
Old 06-18-2016, 11:50 AM

The only Benraich I'm familiar with is the 21 year Old 'Authenticus' that came out a couple years ago, I came across a couple lonely bottles gathering dust at a local store, and the price seemed really good for a 21 year old anything ($90ish?)....anyway, I gave one to a friend, and drank the other. We were both super impressed, but this was a peated whisky. Reading on the 16 year old, it sounds lovely, and puts me in mind of the Aberlour 12 or 16 year old. Both are Speyside distilleries, and look to have similar notes. The Aberlour is my favorite Speyside and one of my 'Go To' drams, the 10 year old is a ridiculous bargain for how good it is, all toffee and caramel, vanilla and honey. I would say pick one and compare, probably the 12 would be a close comparison?

Old 06-19-2016, 11:51 AM

If you enjoy fruity, glendronach 15 yrs old, and 12yrs old is a great choice. In a blind taste I actually enjoyed the 12yr old more, and it is on sale on the liquor directs website, if you enjoy peaty I would try bruichladdichs port Charlotte. Some good scotch sales on Liquor Directs website right now, including the Talisker Port Ruighe!
Old 06-23-2016, 12:23 AM

Default Auchentoshen

AuchentoshenIs a smooth one that's a good price.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
If you enjoy fruity, glendronach 15 yrs old, and 12yrs old is a great choice. In a blind taste I actually enjoyed the 12yr old more, and it is on sale on the liquor directs website, if you enjoy peaty I would try bruichladdichs port Charlotte. Some good scotch sales on Liquor Directs website right now, including the Talisker Port Ruighe!
Let's revive the thread. Last week I popped into Chateau to see what was what, and walked out with the Port Ruighe. Sitting on the shelf now, just debating if i had too much beer while bbq'ing and too much Zin with supper to truly enjoy a dram right now. May have to wait another night?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Let's revive the thread. Last week I popped into Chateau to see what was what, and walked out with the Port Ruighe. Sitting on the shelf now, just debating if i had too much beer while bbq'ing and too much Zin with supper to truly enjoy a dram right now. May have to wait another night?

That's a gooder Racks, had that at a tasting a month ago and really liked it (I'm a Talisker fan anyway)....I'd say go ahead and have a short taster. Actually have a mini review on it up there on post #189....Yummy!

Old 09-18-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
That's a gooder Racks, had that at a tasting a month ago and really liked it (I'm a Talisker fan anyway)....I'd say go ahead and have a short taster. Actually have a mini review on it up there on post #189....Yummy!
The Port Ruighe is definitely a keeper. Could easily become my go to on the shelf, if I could just manage to keep it ON the shelf, lol.

Stopped by Sherbrooke and Chateau Louis this afternoon to have a look see. Didn't replenish my Tallisker though unfortunately, as my eyes were drawn elsewhere. Came home with these instead. Sherbrooke also had the 02 Release of the Two Brewers, but had to be satisfied with the peated 03. Dearly wanted both, but also want to sleep in my own bed tonight so didn't push it. I'll be back...

Old 11-14-2016, 08:20 PM

This thread has been gone for too long! I'm just sitting here sipping on a Glemnorangie Signet, (a blend, so proof I'm not a snob....sort of!), and thinking of all the bottles that could still be discussed. I recently picked up, but haven't opened, the 2016 Lagavullin Distiller's Edition, as well as the Ardbeg Dark Cove....and I never did get around to reviewing the Laphroaig Lore even though I have enjoyed it halfway down already....That one is a gem by the way, worth the time to enjoy for sure. I also have a 21 yr old Balvenie Portwood that is awaiting discovery some chilly winter evening, looking forward to that.

So, what has everyone been enjoying lately?

Old 11-14-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordr69 View Post
I'd give a Macallan a try.
Agreed, the wife bought me a bottle but can't remember witch one it was, that's how good it was lol. She said it was around $80.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:26 PM

Well, I went to a tasting again tonight, it was a 'best of' from the last many years tasting. All very nice offerings, and readily available....except one. Somehow, they had sourced a 1990 Balblair limited casking (second release, was originally released without the extra time in sherry butts). It's a 23 year old whisky, which spent the first 20 years in first fill ex-bourbon white oak casks, and another three years in fine sherry butts. I had tried it a few years back at another tasting and was very impressed, but didn't buy any. And then it didn't exist anymore. So tonight, when it showed up I was very surprised and pleased. After the tasting, a vote was taken, and the Balblair took 14 of 22 votes for the favorite of the evening, and that was against some really good offerings from Talisker (Storm), Highland Park (Dark Origins), Glenmorangie (Signet), Jura (Prophecy), Auchentoshan Three Wood, Ardbeg (Uigeadail), Aberlour (A'Bunadh)....
It was a bronze metal winner at the 2014 World Whisky awards. Well deserved.

So I bought as many as they would let me have, it was in demand. I got to take four home. Happy happy day! A very refined, smooth whisky, you really get the oak but in the best of ways. I will have to sit down and enjoy more than a small shot of it some evening, and do a proper review. It may take a couple drams.

http://www.balblair.com/collection/158_1990

http://www.whiskynotes.be/2016/balbl...air-1990-2014/

Old 11-17-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Sub the navy for a bottle of the old green hunt master and im good to go. Tried an adelphi dancy man scotch and it just wasnt smooth enough. I know 40 is cheap for scotch but for bourban and canadian and some irish you can get some decently smooth stuff. Although i dont think id ever say no to a taste if im not paying
Old 11-17-2016, 10:01 PM
Banned

I'll have to look for that Talisker, Twisted Canuck. I've been enjoying Edradour scotch lately. Nothing like fine hooch from the worlds smallest distillery. I usually get mine at Chateau Louis.

If you don't like scotch, stay out of the thread!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:20 PM

Well, I cracked that Balvenie 21 tonight, and decided this thread had been gone too long. A very lovely dram. It is not a cask strength, bottled at 40% but I put just a tiny drop of water in it anyway just to open it up. It was very nice initially, no surprises, just what you would expect from a Balvenie. A subtle but lovely nose. Smooth, very nice on the front palate, with just a bit of a bite. Lots of chewy toffee and other good sweets in there, hint of vanilla and beeswax. But on the first go I was a little underwhelmed, I guess I was expecting more from a 21 year old Balvenie. It was very smooth, nice long (if slightly dry) finish, but not any real complexity for a portwood finished dram. So, I let it sit and breathe for about 10 minutes, and then sipped it as I watched the Flames win, and I must say it really was a good exercise in patience, with a fine reward. It just seemed to get deeper and richer with each sip, rolling it on the tongue and started getting some interesting 'background' on the palate. It grew on me to say the least! Definitely a fine offering.

I followed it with the 90 Balblair I wrote about a couple posts ago. And frankly, it is superior by every metric. I can't go on enough about how the Balblair has become my all time #1 favorite, supplanting both the 25 year old Laphroaig and 25 year old Highland Park....and I freaking LOVE those two!! I actually sold a S&W 629 to my brother in law, and used the money to buy 6 more bottles of the Balblair, and dammit, I'm thinking of selling one of my fine old Macallan bottles to buy another half dozen. It's just so good. I'm swishing the last fine bit of a dram down as I type this, and all I can say is.....Don't buy any Balblair!! I want to buy it all myself. For a 23 year old that is sub $200, to beat a couple of 25 year olds in the $450-550 range on my Top Ten List is truly remarkable.

Others may not care for it as much as I do, as we all have our own distinct palates and taste profiles that we prefer. For whatever reason, this Balblair hits all the right buttons for me, perfectly. Color, legs, nose, front palate, a stupidly long beautiful delicious finish.....dear Lord. More please!

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-23-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:37 PM

Willow park has a scotch tasting saturday night. 50 bucks. The gf bought us tickets for valentines day. Im gonna find one i like there, hopefully.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1985 View Post
Willow park has a scotch tasting saturday night. 50 bucks. The gf bought us tickets for valentines day. Im gonna find one i like there, hopefully.
I'll bet you can find more than one..... Enjoy it, and let us know what you had and how you liked it.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:39 PM

Hey Canuck I also enjoy the occasional sip of scotch, but if you haven't already tried it, give Connemara Irish whiskey a shot. They claim to be the only peated Irish whiskey, and let me tell you for $65 a bottle, you almost can't beat it IMO!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:30 AM

OK, Scotch fans...

My girlfriend is going to Scotland next week. Are there any that you know of that are good bottles that we don't usually see here?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Hey Canuck I also enjoy the occasional sip of scotch, but if you haven't already tried it, give Connemara Irish whiskey a shot. They claim to be the only peated Irish whiskey, and let me tell you for $65 a bottle, you almost can't beat it IMO!
I will put that on my list, I like an Irish as well. Sad you can't find the 16 year old Bushmills anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
OK, Scotch fans...

My girlfriend is going to Scotland next week. Are there any that you know of that are good bottles that we don't usually see here?
I've never been, but a good friend from Scotland says he is always surprised by how many different bottles he sees here in Canada and in airports, that he never sees back home....found it interesting. Wish I could recommend a good one, but don't know enough to point you in a direction. We get so many good ones here anyway....

Old 03-03-2017, 10:18 PM

just got a bottle of BenRiach Curiositas 10 yr old.
might fine scotch. Anyone else had this scotch before.

It's no Laphroaig but its pretty good.

I looked at ILeach, anyone have a taste of it?
thanks
Old 03-04-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smason View Post
just got a bottle of BenRiach Curiositas 10 yr old.
might fine scotch. Anyone else had this scotch before.

It's no Laphroaig but its pretty good.

I looked at ILeach, anyone have a taste of it?
thanks
I've had a couple different bottles of Ileach, one really good, one not so good. At our tasting we were all of the same mind that it is Lagavullin by a different name, and online searches will confirm that opinion. The one bottle I had, we were picking up distinct sulfur from poor quality casks. Not good. The other bottle was dandy, like a 10 yr old Lagavullin, but half the price. I've stayed away from it since, though I do still have a bottle in the cabinet unopened of the good one (can't remember which offering it is off hand, I will check later). In the meantime, I went and cleaned out my local shop of 1990 Balblair as a birthday present to me. 8 more bottles stashed away!

Old 03-11-2017, 07:31 PM

My wife got me a membership to the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society and they have tastings of rare whiskeys (mostly cask strength) each month. Then if you like you can buy a bottle. Usually only a single cask so if you like it make it last because you wasn't find it again! I find Keg and Cork in Edmonton to have a great selection and a tasting bar as well.

I usually keep a pretty big selection in the cabinet as I like something different pretty regularly.

And my latest find was a whole bunch of Macallan 21...had to grab one and it will sit for a special occasion!