Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 11:54 PM
Banned

Default Minor hockey 2018-19

Well, this is my Sons final year. After a bit of debate, he decided to play out his 3rd year of Midget. Evals started tonight. Still the same player he always was. Try hard, plays with heart but belongs on perhaps team 3 of 4. So much fun to watch though. He had a goal and a assist tonight. Ref called 2 penalty both were against him followed by a lively discussion about a Refs role in a try out game. LOLOLOL

New to Midget parents in the stands not understand this is how Willy plays the game. Its rough, Its impressive and its fun to watch. Some gasps and grumbling as Willy plays like a bull in a China shop. I still think the only reason he runs over kids is because he can't turn and he can't stop. Everyone hates him... Unless he is on their team. Then, they make him Captain. Here is hopping for a fantastically fun and entertaining final year for him (And me!) Lets keep the suspensions to a minimum and hope we can find a tournament for the boys in some far flung California Arena.

I sure am going to miss this. There is some sadness mixed in with the excellent and Joy I get out of watching him play. Anyone have a 8 year old boy I can adopt for next winter? You can have him back in the spring. ;-)

How is everyone else season started?

Jamie
Old 09-26-2018, 12:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Enjoy the season, let'em play,I use to view from a distance away from the mob...minor hockey parents can get a little crazy

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-26-2018, 12:20 AM

Default hockey

Would have been my boys 1st year of midget
We decide that with discussion with him that hockey would not happen this year.
He is on the smaller size going into midget , politics bs Ive had enough of.
Being always sent to North division year after year and seeing kids drilled from behind I ddint want to him hurt , Touch decision as we miss it as well
Look out coyotes full winter ahead,someone has to pay!!

Pin
Old 09-26-2018, 06:04 AM

Enjoy it, last year was my oldest sons last season. Very emotional as knowing it was his last year. He went out last year and had a good season. I'm lucky I still have one in hockey, but when he is done I don't know what I'm going to do with all my time and money.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Enjoy the season, let'em play,I use to view from a distance away from the mob...minor hockey parents can get a little crazy
After coaching club for years I can agree with this 100%.
Loved coaching the kids with a passion, I don’t even have my own and enjoyed seeing the progress these youngns make both on and off the ice.
HOWEVER. I no longer coach and it is 100% due to the insanity of the hockey parent. I’ve been verbally harassed beyond belief and even physically pushed around by these ignorant, self centred, nut jobs. Have definitely met some awesome parents but after volunteering thousands of hours and getting the constant disrespect I called her quits.
Hopefully one day if I have children of my own I can sit back like yourself and just enjoy the beauty of the game.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:19 AM

Agreed on the crazy parents. My grandfather would come to some games and once commented how he had a buzzsaws quieter than some of the hockey moms.

Buddy of mine ref'd for a few years, said it wasn't worth it one bit. The amount of crap those guys take is ridiculous. I think sometimes people forget refs are people, too.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Agreed on the crazy parents. My grandfather would come to some games and once commented how he had a buzzsaws quieter than some of the hockey moms.

Buddy of mine ref'd for a few years, said it wasn't worth it one bit. The amount of crap those guys take is ridiculous. I think sometimes people forget refs are people, too.
I’ve said it once before but it’s come to the point where there needs to be security in the stands to kick out the out of control parents. 1st offence, one game suspension, 2nd 5 game suspension and on the third offence you are gone from watching games for the season.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:16 AM

My two boys been on ice since 3rd week of August...hockey school to break in new skates. The oldest had Pee Wee AA tryouts Aug. 24-26...had a really good camp but didn't make it. The team is a "Regional Based team" and there was only 1 spot on forward to fill...mostly all DMen needed this year and 1 goalie. My boy was a bit disappointed (not as much as last year) but knew going into camp there was only 1 spot. There was 35-40 boys and girls trying out.

We then had Pee Wee A camp Sept.7-9 which he was on last year. I am Assistant Coach with his team again with a good friend of ours as Head Coach again. Should be a good year as we have 7 second year Pee Wee A's from last year returning.

My youngest had Atom A rep team tryouts over September Long Weekend. He was on the team last year and will be one of the leaders this year on it.

Just like every hockey parent...busy already with practices - two 7am for me every week. Both boys have 2 Tiering Games per weekend for the month of October with League play starting November 10th. Don't know who and where we play till mid week prior to the weekend. Games set up by League.

Yes I agree some hockey parents are unbelievable...on both sides...great volunteers/love to watch the kids "just play" or the opposite and drive you up the wall !! And its not just the parents, its some young boys as well.

Our Pee Wee A last year was great and this years parent group will be good, the Atom A might be a different story....again.

Its a new season, maybe attitudes have changed...but I doubt it.

Have a great Minor Hockey season everyone !!
Old 09-26-2018, 10:27 AM
Banned

Not doubting your guys experience. But this is mine..
I am going into my 13 year of being involved. So at approx 40 games per year I have seen about 480 games so far. In that time I have seen only 4 incidents that I can honestly say were over the line.
One was in Gleichen, another was a coach from Okotoks, a third was a parent from Saskatchewan and I did see a parent from SW Calgary get the boot from a game.
This stuff hardly bears mentioning to be honest. Everyone (and not just here) but the media as well, loves to throw parents and coaches under the busses. Why don't we say way more good things about the passion and dedication of those involved.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Enjoy it, last year was my oldest sons last season. Very emotional as knowing it was his last year. He went out last year and had a good season. I'm lucky I still have one in hockey, but when he is done I don't know what I'm going to do with all my time and money.
When you have more "FREE" time and you enjoy minor hockey, be a coach/assistant coach/manager. These positions and especially for you being around the minor hockey scene for so long and then later having no child playing anymore, I think you would be a great asset to that Minor Hockey Association and other children playing the game !!
Old 09-26-2018, 11:17 AM

My son is 1st year novice just got cut from tier 1 but will be really good in tier 2. What people need to understand is that coaches and support staff do there best, and take alot of their free time coach, evaluate collect money set up tournaments and so on. Everyone needs to settle down. If your kids making the NHL they will make it. Parents are always the problem its never the kids.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:29 AM

My son is 8 and he really wanted to play hockey this year.
He is in Atom, being his first year he is a bit behind but is a decent skater.

I have only been to 1 "meeting" and a couple of practices but this is crazy already. He has a practice Thursday, Friday, Saturday and a bottle drive Sunday.

Did I mention he is 8 years old??

He is liking it so far but not sure if it is going to be worth it to him missing going to the lake, snowmobiling, ice fishing, shooting, skating, quadding etc. It's only week 2 and he already asked "can we go to the lake this weekend" LOL

We shall see how it goes. I liked going to the lake too

I should sell his snowmobile
Old 09-26-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post

I have only been to 1 "meeting" and a couple of practices but this is crazy already. He has a practice Thursday, Friday, Saturday and a bottle drive Sunday.

He is liking it so far but not sure if it is going to be worth it to him missing going to the lake, snowmobiling, ice fishing, shooting, skating, quadding etc. It's only week 2 and he already asked "can we go to the lake this weekend" LOL

CRAZY when some parents fund raise the hell out of that age group for lots of $$$ in the team account...for what? Then you have a huge leftover surplus and some parents expect that the left over $$$ should go into their pockets. Then you wonder why in smaller communities the local businesses get upset when asked for "DONATIONS" from this group, and that group then 3-5 minor hockey groups weekend after weekend.

I support my 2 boys teams with donations this year. Last year I didn't do any to teach a lesson to some parents that they need to come up with money for "CASH CALLS" out of their own pocket, not the community. You don't need new/ different warm up gear from the last year, have new track suits, etc., just because its a new season.

BTW, your boy may enjoy his hockey but I bet he misses the chances to go outdoors and do the events you listed with his Dad.

I told my 2 boys, when you stop having fun in hockey (especially playing REP hockey), let me know and we will buy the snowmobiles (mines been basically sitting in the garage for 9 years) and go to the mountains to sled and winter camp and ice fish, etc. STUFF I use to do a lot of. I miss it but I love watching and coaching my boys and other children (the kids and parents that listen and committed) hockey. There are some parents that treat minor hockey and probably other minor sports as a baby sitting service.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
CRAZY when some parents fund raise the hell out of that age group for lots of $$$ in the team account...for what? Then you have a huge leftover surplus and some parents expect that the left over $$$ should go into their pockets. Then you wonder why in smaller communities the local businesses get upset when asked for "DONATIONS" from this group, and that group then 3-5 minor hockey groups weekend after weekend.

I support my 2 boys teams with donations this year. Last year I didn't do any to teach a lesson to some parents that they need to come up with money for "CASH CALLS" out of their own pocket, not the community. You don't need new/ different warm up gear from the last year, have new track suits, etc., just because its a new season.

BTW, your boy may enjoy his hockey but I bet he misses the chances to go outdoors and do the events you listed with his Dad.

I told my 2 boys, when you stop having fun in hockey (especially playing REP hockey), let me know and we will buy the snowmobiles (mines been basically sitting in the garage for 9 years) and go to the mountains to sled and winter camp and ice fish, etc. STUFF I use to do a lot of. I miss it but I love watching and coaching my boys and other children (the kids and parents that listen and committed) hockey. There are some parents that treat minor hockey and probably other minor sports as a baby sitting service.
I was wondering what the fund raising was all about .... thanks for the info.
I certainly hope we do not end up as explained in your first paragraph.
Personally, I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather make a couple hundred dollar donation when required than waste a day on a bottle drive. But it's not my call. We will do as decided by the team / coach.

We are giving him the opportunity to play, the rest will be up to him.

I am really excited to watch him play and it will be great but....

Its tough for us and it effects the whole family. We do not like to be in town on the weekend. We have gone to the lake every weekend summer and winter since he was born. We have for the most part always been able to keep the kids activities on week days. Not complaining but it is a big change for the whole family.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post

It will slow down. He should be seeing the ice about 5 times per 2weeks. Big break from Dec through Jan (3 weeks or so) They jam the kids together tight right now to start building a team and friendships.
However, you may be right about the Snow mobile. OLOLOL
It's a commitment for sure. It pays off though in friendships and being a steller Beer league player. :-)

I used it to teach some lessons to Willy about commitment, sacrifice and finding fun in a tough scenario. Some great life lessons can be found on that rink and the locker room. I am proud of the man he is becoming. I blame it on 2 things... His Mom, and his level of commitment to things.

I am so jealous of you and your Boy. What I wouldn't give to see this start all over again for me and my boy.

Enjoy this year.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
It will slow down. He should be seeing the ice about 5 times per 2weeks. Big break from Dec through Jan (3 weeks or so) They jam the kids together tight right now to start building a team and friendships.
However, you may be right about the Snow mobile. OLOLOL
It's a commitment for sure. It pays off though in friendships and being a steller Beer league player. :-)

I used it to teach some lessons to Willy about commitment, sacrifice and finding fun in a tough scenario. Some great life lessons can be found on that rink and the locker room. I am proud of the man he is becoming. I blame it on 2 things... His Mom, and his level of commitment to things.

I am so jealous of you and your Boy. What I wouldn't give to see this start all over again for me and my boy.

Enjoy this year.
Thanks for the info Jamie.

I am excited for the season.
Lots to learn and experience ... for both of us.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:38 PM

Certainly team sports help kids be better people. Camaraderie, exercise, leaders, followers, winning, losing, sportsmanship, refusal, acceptance, coachability, etc.

I'm also in the camp there's not as many maniacal parents out there as might be assumed with the bad press.

Best of luck to all the players & their parents for the upcoming season!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-27-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeman View Post
My son is 1st year novice just got cut from tier 1 but will be really good in tier 2. What people need to understand is that coaches and support staff do there best, and take alot of their free time coach, evaluate collect money set up tournaments and so on. Everyone needs to settle down. If your kids making the NHL they will make it. Parents are always the problem its never the kids.
I coached for 20 years and pretty much had seen it all from great to bad. New of only one kid that went and played in the NHL but I never really got to teach him or coach him as he was a few years older than the groups I coached but he came out and helped a lot which was a blessing.
We use to have a team meeting with the kids, send them out and then the parents after...told them today is a good day as you get to help pack your child's gear, watch them skate and play a great game but somewhere, someplace right now a parent is preparing, planning for the funeral of thier child so take things as they are, your child is healthy, has a smile on thier face and are having fun...please enjoy the game and the time watching it.....perspective.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:03 AM
Banned

Almost at the end of the Seeding round for Willy and his team.
Big tournament planned down to Seattle the boys are really looking forward to.
Team is doing excellent and currently are sitting in 3/14 with the chance to move up to second tonight with a win.

So much fun watching him play. How is everyones year going?
Old 11-30-2018, 06:30 PM

My sons beyond minor hockey now and I miss the times spent together, even those 6:00 am practises when he was little, but if I were 100% honest, I mostly wish I'd never allowed him to play AAA in bantam and midget. And, I wish I'd just let him be what he was going to be instead of endorsing his willingness to be on the ice 6 nights out of seven, power skate once a week, attend hockey camps and tournaments every summer along with dryland training, and attend a hockey program high school.

Now I just think "for what." Hockey is one thing and he was talented, but missing out on the time he should have spent just being a kid? Wouldn't do it again if I had 6 young sons wanting to play the game. 3 concussions. Sciatic issues. 2 broken fingers. Broken hand. Dislocated shoulder. Deep muscle therapy. Acupuncture. ART.

It's the greatest game on earth but being a kid with no pressure in life is far more valuable. Be the best parent you can be, keep things in perspective, and even if they're willing, take time to recognize that it's all just a game and there's other things in life far more important.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:42 PM

I thought Willy was a goalie ??
Old 11-30-2018, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I thought Willy was a goalie ??
He was. Unfortunately, he took it way to serious and blamed himself for everything. It started giving him panic attacks as he fell asleep. He felt he wasn't doing enough to help his team. So, he quit playing goal after first year Bantam. He has been playing out ever since. He sucks, he plays on the bottom team but he is sleeping at night. He is Captain every year and does well on the score sheet. He thinks he made a mistake by quiting goal and playing on the low teams as all his friends are on the top teams. I am happy for him however, he has had a whole bunch of new experiences and his leadership skills have increased.
Hockey has been tough on him but he has enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Fact is, he should have played football. Thats his calling. he has only played 2 years and both years he was a Defensive MVP. His final game saw him get 6 Tackles with 2 sacks by playing as Defensive tackle. But he just does not love it like he does hockey. He is off to University in Texas in the fall I believe, so this will be the end of it all. So many fantastic memories for all of us. I will miss it.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
He was. Unfortunately, he took it way to serious and blamed himself for everything. It started giving him panic attacks as he fell asleep. He felt he wasn't doing enough to help his team. So, he quit playing goal after first year Bantam. He has been playing out ever since. He sucks, he plays on the bottom team but he is sleeping at night. He is Captain every year and does well on the score sheet. He thinks he made a mistake by quiting goal and playing on the low teams as all his friends are on the top teams. I am happy for him however, he has had a whole bunch of new experiences and his leadership skills have increased.

Fact is, he should have played football. Thats his calling. he has only played 2 years and both years he was a Defensive MVP. His final game saw him get 6 Tackles with 2 sacks by playing as Defensive tackle. But he just does not love it like he does hockey. He is off to University in Texas in the fall I believe, so this will be the end of it all. So many fantastic memories for all of us. I will miss it.

I was the same way growing up. I was a decent hockey player always on the AA teams (AAA came to our town the year after I was done) and played high school football (didn't have bantam or peewee football until a couple years after I was done high school) and was defensive MVP as a tackle and league all star every year I played, Offensive lineman MVP my 2nd and 3rd year as well. I even had NCAA division 2 schools, Canadian universities, junior teams all sending me letters to come and play for them, but I was never really passionate about football like I was hockey. I could never get as angry or amped up playing football like hockey so after high school I was done with football. Looking back I see not following through playing football after high school as one of my big life mistakes, not a regret but definetely a mistake.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:

As long as they are happy, healthy and are good people than all is well.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
As long as they are happy, healthy and are good people than all is well.
He is doing very well. So proud of that man. I am so excited to see what he can do as he gets older.

I am sure going to miss him if he goes to Texas....
Old 12-04-2018, 10:17 PM

My boys final year of midget as well. Hard to believe I’m saying this, but I’m going to miss it. Just when he can drive himself to practices, and the hockey is getting pretty good, it’s all done.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:48 PM
Banned

Tonight was a first ever for me tonight.

A brief background.
During the seeding round this team finished first and we finished 3rd. We tied these guys in our game and it was really intense. Good hockey game actually.

We run into them (NW Warriors) in a tournament this weekend. First game and our guys throw a stinker of a game. we lose 3-1 but the game was filled with a few fireworks with Willy trying to take on 5 of them at the same time after he was kneed in front of the net.

Fast forward to the Sunday "A" final. What a battle. It was back and forth with our goalie letting in 2 soft goals and our guys scoring 2 that were outrageously fun to watch. The boys are flying and everyone is back checking with some serious effort. It really might have been the best period and half of hockey I have seen in about 2 or 3 years. Amazing to watch and the fans in the stands were rocking.

1/2 way through the second Willy takes a cross check from behind in their corner. Semi dangerous hit but he was close enough to the boards that he jus smashed his face into the glass. Refs arm comes up, our goalie makes his way to the bench and we are now on a delayed penalty and in control of the puck. Willy is in front of the net battling away with 2 guys, getting knocked down, knocking guys down, the ref is yelling at the 3 of them to quit it. shot comes in from the point, turns into a goal mouth scramble, Willy gets 2 maybe 3 shots away, one of which the goalie made a incredible save on. Puck is loose, sticks are flying and then.... Then the guy who xchecked him in the corner comes flying in and absolutely hammers Willy from behind. That causes Willy to go flying into their Goalie. all hell breaks loose and the goalie is left laying there with what looks like a dislocated knee. Our guys win the tournament by forfit. To bad as it was a heck of a hockey game but we see them at least 2-3 more times in our regular season. Handshake was a gong show I am sure the next one is going to be just as rough. Cheap win and not what they wanted but man did they have fun.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:03 PM
Banned

Off to Esso Minor Semi finals tonight. Holy crap it's a late game 9:45 way up by the Airport (We live in South Calgary)

Unfortunately Willy is serving his final game for his suspension. Sometime you just have to clock someone in this game but it does come at a price. I really think he was born 30 years to late for his style of game.

If they can manage a win tonight, he will be back for the final.

Should be fun.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:12 PM
Banned

How did the Flames do tonight
Old 01-15-2019, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
How did the Flames do tonight
Started off great.. Then collectively lost their drive and will and minds.

First period they played great 2-0 after one
Second period the wheels started to fall off. No skating, no effort. 3-2 for the bad guys
3rd period they gave up after 2 bad goals by a Goalie who apparently was sleeping.
Final 6-2
They showed they can play with this team. Now can this group of kids ever figure out how to play as a team???

I think they are a decent team. BUT if you don't try, you suck.