Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 PM

Default Oldest 17hmr Question

I've read through a lot of the old 17hmr posts and I guess the only reason to ask this again would be the different ballistics of this ammo (and this category is kinda slow today). On a site I was researching it showed some great info on the 17hmr and in particular the V-max vs the CCI 17hmr ,They showed a cross sectioned cut of this case and it shows that the jacket is slightly thicker in the CCI ammo and the hollow point is much smaller
than in the Hornady ammo. The example in the picture was when someone filled a can with water and a roll of TP and shot them @ 25yrds.

Does this ammunition make it more destructive to a coyote or more likely to pass directly through with less damage? or is the 17hmr just punching above its weight?

Thanks look forward to some input

ps apologies if the pic doesn't show its my first attempt at attaching

Last edited by Forest Techer; 07-05-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:12 PM

Default 17

Well you have 2 different styles of bullet with different killing characteristics. The vmax is designed to penetrate less than the TNT bullet, both will kill a coyote, TNt may do more internal damage. FS
Old 11-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned

shot a bunch (over 10 coyotes) with hornady v-max and over half go down on spot with some spinning/biting, others do a 50 yrd runner before piling up...thought i'd smarten up and use the xtp, first four coyotes were found but trailing up to 200 yrds....just poked holes, now have several with tnt but not enough to say its the ideal blend of a bit more toughness than the v-max for coyotes or not as i had such good success with the v-max for a long time...i shoot em all 100-ish yrds or less and in the boiler room, mostly broadside but have shot big males full frontal in chest with v-max with same results too

my vote would be for v-max or tnt, which ever shoots best in your .17 hmr...have fun

those two in my signature i got on a double with rem 597 with v-max, the female stopped at around 80 yrds and the male was shot a couple times on the run and lay 116 yrds from me when it was over, tnt would have worked just as well i'm sure but just need a few more coyotes with that round to say forsure, so far the v-max might have the slightest of edge to speed of recovery but just a bit early to say forsure though
Old 11-13-2009, 03:46 PM

Stinky Coyote,

I apologize for getting off topic, but i noticed you shoot a Rem 597 in 17HMR. Just thought you may like to know, i saw a recall notice in Guns and Ammo this month for Rem 597 17HMRs. I don't recall specifics but it might be worth looking into.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:07 AM
Banned

yeah, haven't had a chance to look into it, i like the gun, gives me 5 shots just a hair over 2" at 200 yrds, not sure i want to part with it, remington can find me with the gun registry and all....
Old 11-15-2009, 09:26 AM

Where's your rifle zeroed for stinky? When i'm zeroed at 100 I'm about a foot low @200. My range i think has a slight rise from 100 - 200 and I guess I'm wondering if thats making it look like its dropping more than it is. This rise could just be an illusion too i suppose, very subtle.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Banned

i zero a little over 1" high at 100 yrds......your drop sounds about right, i had a burris ff2 with bp reticle when i shot that, right now its wearing a red dot but will likely go back to scope at some point, just haven't pulled it out in awhile