Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2020, 04:41 PM

Default Big Rant!..... so.. if you take someone to a ‘honey hole’

I’ve always operated on the understanding ( though unspoken) .. that if you are taken to an super elk, or pheasant spot... that’s has taken The person great effort to Scout-figure-find and secure.... And these are serious out of the way spots...

That You don’t go there to hunt it by yourself ever. I feel it’s pretty rude to ask to hunt there even. If buddy is ok with you going there... he’d say it.

It’s like you just never ask people where the sheep are.... it’s just not done.

It’s just proper manners.

Needless to say... I’m seriously reconsidering who I share spots with....

Or am I out of line here and wasting a good mad/pout?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-08-2020, 04:43 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

nope....learnt that a long time ago and got burned....so that being said very selective of sharing spots etc with people...I trust only a few and yup they are family.....oh well lessens learnt.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
nope....learnt that a long time ago and got burned....so that being said very selective of sharing spots etc with people...I trust only a few and yup they are family.....oh well lessens learnt.
Completely agree.

(BTW, see 58, we can agree on some things, just not about a spiked board placed under a Trump sign). 😉
Old 10-08-2020, 04:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Completely agree.

(BTW, see 58, we can agree on some things, just not about a spiked board placed under a Trump sign). 😉
you mention Trump one more time....haha..ya I get it...all good.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-08-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
you mention Trump one more time....haha..ya I get it...all good.
😂. Glad to see we can still be internet friends. No hard feelings?
Old 10-08-2020, 05:14 PM
Banned

Default trust very few

Old 10-08-2020, 05:17 PM

Some places are best hunted alone
Old 10-08-2020, 05:29 PM

Never

I hunt with "the boys"

Small group. No newbs. No girlfriends, no wives, nobody

I get asked often. I offer areas that are open to anyone and I even give directions.

But to bring someone to the area I hunt? Chances of that are zero. Less than zero.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:30 PM

I took my sons friend with us on a hunt a few years ago so he could shoot ta deer. This was my property. The next weekend His dad and 4 buddys " Thought they had permission" !! Not a good outcome for them!
Old 10-08-2020, 05:41 PM

Rules amongst the guys I hunt with

1) if you find the spot together you have equal rights but you don’t bring in new people without permission from the other

2) if shown a spot you don’t go there by yourself unless you ask permission. Asking is fine but no is to be respected. All new people need to be cleared but if the original finder says no one it is to be respected

3) If you are told it’s a honey hole you are sworn to secrecy and you don’t dare ask to bring others there

4) If someone says they don’t care about the area you can hunt it whenever with whoever you please

5) If someone shares spots with you return the favor in the future

Anyone who breaks these rules maybe disowned, no longer invited hunting or possibly loose their front teeth
Old 10-08-2020, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Rules amongst the guys I hunt with

1) if you find the spot together you have equal rights but you don’t bring in new people without permission from the other

2) if shown a spot you don’t go there by yourself unless you ask permission. Asking is fine but no is to be respected. All new people need to be cleared but if the original finder says no one it is to be respected

3) If you are told it’s a honey hole you are sworn to secrecy and you don’t dare ask to bring others there

4) If someone says they don’t care about the area you can hunt it whenever with whoever you please

5) If someone shares spots with you return the favor in the future

Anyone who breaks these rules maybe disowned, no longer invited hunting or possibly loose their front teeth
Bingo
Old 10-08-2020, 05:45 PM

Exclamation Rant is justified!

The problem is that some members of the hunting community are really fishermen/fisherfolk at heart. They would sell their first born for a productive honey hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hunting-spot.jpg (34.5 KB, 214 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-08-2020, 05:47 PM

Draw tags - I’ll help if i can. Rather see guys who waited their turn be successful vs more-equals or poachers.

OTC tags - never. I do the work and so can everyone else.

Bad enough to go in there by himself. But if he told anyone or brought friends, he deserves to fall down a steep hill...multiple times.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:26 PM

Apparently you have to let guys know how you feel about your spots but your better off just keeping them to yourself and maybe just share with family and close friends. It doesn’t take long to blowout a sweet elk spot when guys start blabbing or taking all there family and friends in. I think people who’ve never hunted crown land don’t realize the time and effort You put in to find these spots. I’ve been in your shoes a few times and know how stressful it can be.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
The problem is that some members of the hunting community are really fishermen/fisherfolk at heart. They would sell their first born for a productive honey hole.
Not at all.

"Frenchman's Rule" still applies.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:01 PM

The other question is how many times has the ‘other’ person taken you to a hunting spot or area? I have done that with countless people and have never been invited to ‘their’ spots. My rule is, crown land, good to go. Private land, not my business unless buddy moves away.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:05 PM

Made the mistake of doing this once. Never again. Wont hunt with the guilty party ever again either.

Imo it's about as low as it gets.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:09 PM

What spots are you exactly talking about?? with gps coordinates
Old 10-08-2020, 07:13 PM

I was out SE goose hunting. One of the ranchers we knows son had been chasing a good mule buck with a bow. Brought a friend along once. Now the whole country side is chasing him. Be careful who you tell! And of course, bring along.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfman View Post
What spots are you exactly talking about?? with gps coordinates
Oooohhh Too soon

Imma stupid person... she boils down to that
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-08-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Oooohhh Too soon

Imma stupid person... she boils down to that

No Bessie, you're not. You just assumed the other person had the same sense of decency and morals that you do.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:25 PM

I made this mistake once as well. Took a guy out to help him learn to hunt and get his first animal. Shortly after I find him and a whole group of guys hunting my private spot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Made the mistake of doing this once. Never again. Wont hunt with the guilty party ever again either.

Imo it's about as low as it gets.
Same here, same resolve in the end. Never again.

Osky
Old 10-08-2020, 07:38 PM

I will only share a honey hole with a person I am mentoring for hunting. If it helps to encourage success for the newbie it is good. The honey holes I have are on very secure private lands so I don't have to worry about them going on their own. There is nothing better than having a young hunter getting his first animal so I will continue to help new hunters.

I did let a couple people hunt with me and then realized they were just abusing my generosity. Lesson learned.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-08-2020, 07:44 PM

My brother in law shared with me a great whitetail place. We agreed it was family only. Period. We know what happens when other people find out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2020, 07:48 PM

Dog feces in bucket. Add 3 parts hot water for each part feces. Put lid on bucket. Shake really well. Drive to your buddy's house. 1/3 on his front seat, 1/3 on his wife's front seat for marrying such a lowlife, and 1/3 splattered across the front door, being sure to cover the door handle. Leave.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:54 PM

I hunted a oil road that has 3 leases on it takes 45 min to walk in and out .
It holds a hand full of female white deer and bucks come in every nov.
Most of them are nice 4x4 or better .
I have taken a few friends in there and told them never to shot the females.
They have all taken a nice buck out .
Been hunting it over 10 years .

one of them decided to return on his own . He shot all the females with his buddies .

The honey whole has no more deer .
Old 10-08-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
I’ve always operated on the understanding ( though unspoken) .. that if you are taken to an super elk, or pheasant spot... that’s has taken The person great effort to Scout-figure-find and secure.... And these are serious out of the way spots...

That You don’t go there to hunt it by yourself ever. I feel it’s pretty rude to ask to hunt there even. If buddy is ok with you going there... he’d say it.

It’s like you just never ask people where the sheep are.... it’s just not done.

It’s just proper manners.

Needless to say... I’m seriously reconsidering who I share spots with....

Or am I out of line here and wasting a good mad/pout?
Been there done that. Nothing makes me madder. Been burnt often enough I usually ask newer hunters where they plan on taking me?
Old 10-08-2020, 10:41 PM

Wow, though crowd...lol.

I’ve had people take me into their “honey holes” before and I’d never think to go back in there by myself or even mention the spot to someone else. Wouldn’t even consider asking. That’s kind of an unwritten rule and it’s a respect thing.

But, I’ve taken people into good areas before or told people about good areas and I really couldn’t care less if they go back in there. Maybe when I was younger it would have bothered me but not for a long time now.

No place I go to is void of other people. If I’ve found it so has someone else. Heck if I’ve found it and it turns out to be a nice spot then someone else probably already considers it their “honey hole”.

I spend a lot of time out in the bush and usually only hunt the same spots a couple times a year. I think I bore easily. Finding new spots to me is half the fun. Or new ways of getting into spots. Then I spend a ton of time, months sometimes, thinking about how to hunt the area. Then it’s a trip in to check things out. If I’m not successful but the area has promise then I keep at it And will go back but if I get what I’m after then it’s on to the next spot. To me that’s half the fun and I quite often pass that info on to other people because finding the area and then planning how to hunt it is the fun part for me.

But, if I did find that magical spot that for some reason was overlooked by others and really meant something to me I’d keep it to myself and not tell a soul.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:31 AM

I feel your pain Bessie. Went thru that a few times back in the day. Im wiser now