Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-05-2020, 04:00 PM

Default Eld-x bullet in magnums at closer ranges?

Wondering if anyone had some real life experience using a ELD-X bullet on a moose or elk sized game that was under 200 yards... preferebly under 100 to hear the outcome on bullet preformance. I already know they seem to do really well out at the longer ranges. Just curious if u had thag suprise elk or moose that popped out at 50

Im looking at using 200 grain ELD-X out of my 300 win mag on an elk trip
Old 10-05-2020, 04:39 PM

I used a 178 in my 300wsm a couple years ago. Elk at 70ish. It did the job.

I lost the bullet after... but by memory it mushroomed nicely, it clipped a rib and was under the skin on the far side shoulder.

I have heard the horror stories and was a little worried. But the bullet did a good job. But my elk forgot his body armor that day so results may differ then internet elk.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:56 PM

Had less than positive experience using this bullet on wild boar at short range out of my 270 WSM but good success on deer at longer ranges previously
Old 10-05-2020, 06:01 PM

How long ago was the negative experience on it?
I think the early ones were bad close up and they revamped the bullet a bit.

My experience was 2 years ago
Old 10-05-2020, 06:06 PM

The boar hunt took place in July of this year in Saskatchewan the deer was taken last November at 225 yards using the same box of ammo I should mention the shot on the boar was very close under 40 yards or so
Old 10-05-2020, 07:15 PM

Default Moose

I saw one used on a moose last year at maybe 30 yards. Found in offside hide with about 50% weight retention. 7mm rem mag 162 gr, 2950 at muzzle.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:31 PM

Well i hope its gonna work good on game. Just went out and shot 3 groups of 3 shot ragged holes at 100.. 2 groups of 1.25 " at 200 and 1 group at 300 that was about id say 2.75. To 3 inches. Then rang my gong at 300 . Damn thats fun!

I had partitions in 180 gr shoot...ok to good. Every thing else 180 gr was iffy i tried and inconsistent. I think the 200gr anything is going to work in this gun.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Well i hope its gonna work good on game. Just went out and shot 3 groups of 3 shot ragged holes at 100.. 2 groups of 1.25 " at 200 and 1 group at 300 that was about id say 2.75. To 3 inches. Then rang my gong at 300 . Damn thats fun!

I had partitions in 180 gr shoot...ok to good. Every thing else 180 gr was iffy i tried and inconsistent. I think the 200gr anything is going to work in this gun.

I think If you stick to broadside shots at magnum velocities you will be fine.

Might be a bit explosive.

At 200 yards plus it should perform as good as most bullets.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:58 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
I think If you stick to broadside shots at magnum velocities you will be fine.

Might be a bit explosive.

At 200 yards plus it should perform as good as most bullets.
a good read in addition to this...

Will the jacket and core of ELD-X bullets separate since they're not bonded?
ELD-X Bullet Jacket/Core Separation
High-velocity impacts may occasionally cause the ELD-X bullet jacket to roll back past the InterLock ring during penetration, leading to jacket core separation as the bullet comes to rest. When bullets stop inside an animal, the elasticity of the flesh, and especially the hide, pulls the bullet backward into the animal and often flips the direction of the bullet around due to the weight being heavier on the frontal expanded area. Bullets expanded past their InterLock may separate at this point. While some may argue that this is a negative jacket and core separation, it is happening after the penetration, not at the beginning. The extremely light bullet jacket cannot penetrate to the offside of the animal without the lead core.
The ELD-X is a revolutionary new style of bullet and raises the bar for all projectiles. It is unconventional in its capabilities and its performance. As far as recovered bullets are concerned, the lethality of ELD-X bullets speaks for itself. For further explanation, please see below.
ELD-X Bullet Terminal Performance Explained
Hornady ELD-X (Extremely Low Drag – eXpanding) bullets are designed to provide reliable expansion at both conventional and extended ranges. Coupled with high ballistic coefficients (BC) and match-grade accuracy, these hunting bullets are as good on the range as they are in the field. Designing a bullet that will expand at conventional 2,800 to 3,200 feet per second (fps) down to as low as 1,600 fps is no small task. Typical tipped or soft-point style lead-core bullets stop expanding reliably at 1,800 fps or slightly lower. Solid copper or copper-alloy style bullets typically need well over 2,000 fps to expand reliably. Over the years, hunters have tended to use match bullets for their long-range (low-velocity) needs as they offer the accuracy to hit targets at longer ranges and the bullets had a better chance at disrupting (though not expanding in a traditional fashion) to help cause damage. The match bullets' (especially BTHP designs) disruption is rarely consistent and can include anything from tumbling to fragmenting to passing through like an FMJ bullet and depends more on what it hits to cause disruption than working by design. Another downside of using match bullets for hunting is high-velocity (close range impacts tend to make match bullets fragment on impact and not reach penetration depths needed for humane kills on game.
The ELD-X bullet provides deep penetration and reliable expansion at both ends of the velocity spectrum. This sets it apart from all other bullets on the market. Achieving this kind of terminal flexibility requires unconventional performance. For a bullet to expand at 1,600 fps, it is imperative that the frontal area open up, or mushroom, very quickly. Conventional bullets that expand at low velocity will blow up or fragment upon high-velocity impacts. Conversely, bullets that are designed for deep penetration at close range (high-velocity impact) won’t expand at low velocity and rarely provide the accuracy needed for longer-range hunting nor have high enough BCs to retain energy and reduce wind deflection. ELD-X bullets are designed with a thin-jacketed frontal area that expands at low velocity and a gradually thicker jacket and InterLock ring that keep the shank together to penetrate at high-velocity impacts. The nose of the ELD-X is designed to expand by being initiated by the Heat Shield tip. Contact of the tip and game animal forces the tip back into the jacket, starting the expansion process. Expansion of long-range, lower-velocity impacts is limited by the continually thickening jacket design and typically resembles a traditional mushroomed bullet. Eighty to 90% weight retention can be expected, and 20 to 24 inches of penetration is common.
At closer-range impacts, the nose rapidly expands due to the higher velocity. Some of the thin jacket material that guarantees lower velocity expansion may be shed in this process until the thick-jacketed portion of the nose is reached. This slight shedding of the thin nose section typically results in retained weights of 50 to 60%. Even though more weight is lost, terminal performance is almost identical to that of longer-range impacts with penetrations of 20 to 24 inches and very large wound cavities. If impact velocities are high enough, the ELD-X will continue to expand until reaching the high InterLock ring, where expansion will be slowed dramatically due to the thick shank of the jacket. Unconventional in its performance, the ELD-X may not resemble traditional designs, but its wound channel and penetration characteristics are equal to or greater than traditional designs at traditional ranges.
Hornady engineers have worked hard to design the ELD-X bullet to balance between expanding quickly but not expanding too quickly. A mechanical Interlock ring is swaged high on the shank to help keep the jacket and core material together. While any traditional “cup and core” bullet can suffer from jacket and core separation, it is not common. Keep in mind that an average bullet encounters severely more energy upon impact when hitting game than it did to form the bullet during manufacturing. With all of the various angles at which bullets encounter tough hide, bone and tissue, there is a tremendous amount of impact on the bullets and occasionally strange things can happen. While bonded bullets may not allow the separation of jacket and core materials, they are not typically capable of the accuracy needed for extended-range shooting.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2020, 09:19 PM

Thats a great read, thank u
Old 10-06-2020, 10:37 PM

Yes that is a good read thanks. I have some factory load 200 grain eldx in 300WM that I have not taken hunting due to a bad close range kill experience with Horniday SSTs in 300WM. However, they are not directly related to the SST, might consider them again.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Thats a great read, thank u
Good luck...post up some pics and a story too!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-11-2020, 04:22 PM

I was going to say SST might be a better bullet! All I shoot out is of my 30-06 for the last 8 years and never an issue at an range. Just kill a moose yesterday at 70yards SST bullets have never failed me.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyCousins View Post
I was going to say SST might be a better bullet! All I shoot out is of my 30-06 for the last 8 years and never an issue at an range. Just kill a moose yesterday at 70yards SST bullets have never failed me.

I shot a bull moose at 60 yards with a 300 win pushing 180 SST’s. Found the bullet burrowed into the off side leg bone. The bullet was hollowed out and probably had 10% weight left. Not a great bullet at close range but everything I have shot with it has ended up in the freezer.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
a good read in addition to this...

Will the jacket and core of ELD-X bullets separate since they're not bonded?
ELD-X Bullet Jacket/Core Separation
High-velocity impacts may occasionally cause the ELD-X bullet jacket to roll back past the InterLock ring during penetration...
I read the same thing last week and I decided to go with Terminal Ascent. Sorry, no real world experience though.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:28 PM

I loaded up 117 SST in a 25-06 for my daughter to use deer hunting. She hit a rib on a small doe at about 80 yards broadside and had about a 4 inch entry hole. Never used that bullet again on an animal so it was just experience using it once. Dad in his 280 on a whitetail at the same distance on factory loads had the same thing happen with about a 4 inch entry would hitting a whitetail bucks rib on the way in. Don't remember what bullet weight he had.