Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Default Mountain Lion

Fellows-
I am looking for a mountain Lion outfitter I am from the United States and hunt with outfitters in Alberta but non offer a cat hunt any and all information would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance.
G.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:16 PM

Are you looking for an outfitter in Alberta or the US? I know a heck of a cat oufitter in Idaho.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:16 PM

Tracks N Trails Outfitting
I would defiantly check out TnT Outfitting. This is one of Alberta's best cat men. They kill some awesome cats every year. I know numerous people include a few from this website that have hunted with Byron.
I know when I do book a cougar hunt it with be with TnT.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-12-2011, 04:49 PM

Double Diamond Outfitter's. check out his website.The pictures of the Great cats taken over the years speak for itself.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:51 PM

I'd call TNT outfitting/Byron Stewart.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
I'd call TNT outfitting/Byron Stewart.
x2 on tnt !!!
Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 PM

Default cats

Byron Stewart is a cat killing fool. He's the man for Cats.,
Old 03-12-2011, 07:48 PM

Noah Wiggins will show you a great time and some monster cats
Old 03-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcrazy View Post
X2!!!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
X2!!!!!
X3!!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 PM

I'd say Noah also.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Default another option

Look up Brent Sinclair with Porcupine Creek Outfitters. Based out of Pincher Creek, Brent lives for chasing cats all winter long!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramcrazy View Post
Is there any way I can track Noah down? I can't find informatioin on him antwhere,
Old 03-13-2011, 02:59 PM

pm sent
Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 PM

I took my lion with Byron. TNT works hard and will put you on a cat.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:00 AM
AO Sponsor

There are some great cougar outfitters on Vancouver Island here, big cats as well! If you'd like more info throw me a PM.
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 03-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUSTHEDUDOG View Post
Is there any way I can track Noah down? I can't find informatioin on him antwhere,
If you havent got the info yet PM me and I can forward you his number.
SG
Old 03-14-2011, 08:39 AM

These guys are out of B.C. but they kill a lot of cats in a year. I took a nice tom with them in February.

www.lancasterfamilyhunts.com

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...6/P2110170.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...6/P2110166.jpg

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 AM

Looks like a booking agent ot me is that the case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
These guys are out of B.C. but they kill a lot of cats in a year. I took a nice tom with them in February.

www.lancasterfamilyhunts.com

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...6/P2110170.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...6/P2110166.jpg
Old 03-14-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Looks like a booking agent ot me is that the case?
Wrong web address. Try this one http://www.lancasterfamilyhunting.com

Give Bart a call, he's the one that runs the cats.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 03-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Default Mountain Lions-

Thanks men for all the suggestions I have spent countless hours looking into each and every one of them and many more what I have found out is the hunts in Alberta are almost twice the cost of the hunts in the States. I'm thinking it is because of the limited tags that are available in Alberta but that is just my thinking. I am having a hard time justifying $8000 to the US's 4000 thank you all again and if you have any other information I would love to here about it my search goes on.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks men for all the suggestions I have spent countless hours looking into each and every one of them and many more what I have found out is the hunts in Alberta are almost twice the cost of the hunts in the States. I'm thinking it is because of the limited tags that are available in Alberta but that is just my thinking. I am having a hard time justifying $8000 to the US's 4000 thank you all again and if you have any other information I would love to here about it my search goes on.
There is also a big difference in skull sizes as you cross the border, if that is something that matters to you. Enjoy your hunt either way, score is never the make or break.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 PM

We have hunted with these folks and can wholeheartedly recommend them. First class horse hunt in the Frank Church in Idaho.
http://www.huntidahoelk.com/about_us.html
Old 03-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I think the two main questions you need to ask yourself are;

- What type or style of hunt is best suited to your physical abilities etc, as well as what style of hunt you would enjoy the most?

- What type of trophy quality are you looking for as well as are u prepared to hunt for 7-10 days and come home without a lion.

There is a tonne of different areas and styles of lion hunting to be had in North America. I have been lucky enough to hunt alot of Ab and BC as well as most Western states including MN,WY,UT,AZ and NM. The type of hunting you'll do from Alberta to New Mexico will range greatly in respect to styles of hunts, lion size, and as you have discovered price. All these places hold decent cat populations generally speaking, but the biggest tom lions in North America are without a doubt found in Alberta and BC.

The style of hunt an outfitter offers may also sway your decision one way or the other. Would you rather spend time in the snowing northern rocky mountains of BC and AB than you would riding a mule in the desert south of New Mexico? would you prefer hunting horse back cutting through high rocky canyons in Wyoming or ski-doing the heavy forests of Montana? They both usually accomplish the same thing but its alot different road to get there.

As to trophy quality you will find everything from outfitters that will ONLY harvest Mature Toms, to outfitters that will kill about anything that the spots are off of. You'll also find outfits that will garuntee you a QUALITY cat even if it takes bringing you back the following year....as opposed to some that will hunt you your 7-10 days and send you on your way being successful or not.

Again, I think if you determine what trohpy quality you'll be satisfied with, and what style of hunt you would enjoy the most and can physically endure, the rest should fall into place! Hope this makes some sense and might help ya out, good luck with your hunt!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:44 PM

Default Mountain Lion

Houndsmen-
Your information is of a lot of use, to answer some of your questions and to hear more of your thoughts...I physicaly health and age wise can hunt any of the states or privince that offer cat hunts ( i think ) as trophy quality I would like a cat in the 150 lbs. or better and would'nt mind the type of hunting any better one way or the other I feel all cat areas have something to bring to the table as far a hunting "pleasure" goes. And as you stated there are outfits out there that offer either a $1000 refund or come back the following year free or half off their are many options out there to choose from, in a perfect world I would like a 170lb cat on a snow hunt and I hunt until I get it for $4500 but I am still looking for that outfitter.
G.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Houndsmen-
Your information is of a lot of use, to answer some of your questions and to hear more of your thoughts...I physicaly health and age wise can hunt any of the states or privince that offer cat hunts ( i think ) as trophy quality I would like a cat in the 150 lbs. or better and would'nt mind the type of hunting any better one way or the other I feel all cat areas have something to bring to the table as far a hunting "pleasure" goes. And as you stated there are outfits out there that offer either a $1000 refund or come back the following year free or half off their are many options out there to choose from, in a perfect world I would like a 170lb cat on a snow hunt and I hunt until I get it for $4500 but I am still looking for that outfitter.
G.
Your talking to the right guy for info on cats GUS. He knows whats what!
SG
Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Houndsmen-
in a perfect world I would like a 170lb cat on a snow hunt and I hunt until I get it for $4500 but I am still looking for that outfitter.
G.
And I think you might be looking for awhile, actually forever, at least for someone that would promise you that and follow up on it. Thats like someone showing up to hunt whitetails and saying I want a 180'' Typical deer, its doo-able in alot of places but you better be prepared to go home with just your memories of a hunt and an open tag in your pocket. A TRUE 170 pound tom lion is a BIG cat. Anywhere.

I guess what you need to do is select someone that fits your balance between $$$ and the chances of getting to look at a good'n. I dont want to make it sound like were the only place in the world with huge lions cause thats not true, but in my opinion (and its probly worth about what im charging for it) the biggest cats are right here! Another thing I like about Alberta is these outfitters arent taking out 15 or 20 clients for the most part, the majority guiding non-resident hunters only hold but 1 or 2 tags. With that being said it gives them alot more time to be selective about cats harvested and eliminates the "whack & stack" theory I have seen in other areas. If an outfit has 24 clients lined up for a season, there generally not driving over to many tracks or leashing dogs out of caught lions knowing "we can find something a little better than that"

I dont want to pretend im some kind of expert on this cause thats certainly not the case, just trying to provide a little insite as to what I have seen. A cougar is generally a once in a lifetime endevour for most, its probably not something your going to do every year. If terrain, or region isnt an issue for you I would save up all you can stomach spending on this deal....do your research and select an outfitter that you think will do the best job of taking care of you and hopefully catching you a nice mature male lion.

Good luck with it and hopefully others on the board will offer some more advice as well. I can imagine all the avenues could be a little overwhelming... if I was in your position, I think I would bite the bullet and get north of that 49th....but like I said thats just my opinion, and its worth what ya payed for it
Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Default Big Cats

Houndsmen-
I thank you for all the free information and I promise you it is advise I will weight heavily and I did find a few outfitters the other night on the net that guarantee a cat for $6000 what they are saying is either you keep hunting until you find a cat that fits your bill or you can come back at no cost other than travel to get to the hunting area the next year so on and so on, hunting is hunting and lets be honest if the animal you want to hunt is not in your home state or province you all most have to pay to hunt and it is a hunt no guarantees no high fence, and as you said it is almost a once in a lifetime hunt so if I do got north in search of a monster cat and drop say $10,000 and come home with like you said memories and a unfilled tag now I'm done no kitty for the game room in this lifetime anyhow. Why does hunting have to be a rich mans sport?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Look up Brent Sinclair with Porcupine Creek Outfitters. Based out of Pincher Creek, Brent lives for chasing cats all winter long!
x2
Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 AM

Default Porcupine Creek Outfitters

I can't seem to find a website for Porcupine Creel Outfitters and help out there ?