Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Always Hunt your way back to camp

HI Guys,

I was out hunting today and was unable to take a shot at a big 6X6 Bull Elk today because I broke my cardinal rule of "Always hunt your way back to camp".

I had seen absolutely nothing heading out and while I was on the ridge the view was great but didn't see a thing. Thinking that there were no elk in that part of the ridge, I decided to head back to the truck while it was still light. So instead of hunting my way back, I was strolling along the ridge top like I was in the park on Sunday. When lo and behold I saw a rather large bull, but since he had already spotted me, he strolled into the dark timber and was gone. Since the range was somewhat long I decided not to take a shot but I could really kick myself since had I taken my time I could gotten closer and taken a shot.

Cheers,
Elk Hunter 55 (now 56 and going on 57)
Old 10-26-2007, 11:16 PM

That SUCKS EH55! Although it reminds me of a funny story.......

My buddy who first got me into hunting in AB years back was/is a 'manly-man'. Or so he thinks. Kind of hard to take by times, but so am I!

Anyway, in my first season he spotted a 200+ mulie bedded on the opposite ridge at about 400 yards. He set up prone with his 'trusty' .308. He didn't hit the range with it that year because the last time he was out (5 years ago , it was 'dead on'). Needless to say, he missed all 5 shots before it casually stood up and sauntered off. We checked out where it was bedded and there was no sign of a hit.....except for some branches to the high left or low right.

Man, was he mad! In fact, I've never heard so many excuses in my life, as I poorly tried to contain my snickers at Mr. Macho. Anyway, as we stormed back to his truck, I happened to notice a nice 160ish about 150 yards out. I stopped him and he said that it was 'good enough'. Four shots later and yet another healthy buck! Best hunting day with him EVER! One of the last, but one of the best.

Sorry, to get a bit off topic, but that day taught me to ALWAYS hunt my way back. Any time I don't, that damn Murphy reaquaints me with his law......nearly everytime!

Better luck next time EH55, and don't feel bad, it's happened to us all!

Tree
Old 10-27-2007, 12:52 AM

Yea that truly is a good rule to keep, it worked for me many times.

To day I went after a mule deer buck in 339 and came back with a WT buck in the area where I see mulies. It was only a 3x3 but that is {not important}, what is important is the fact I fulfilled my promise to a large family (9 souls). I promied that the next WT deer ( the smallest I wanted was a 3x3) was there's. That was my third WT deer with to mulies tags to go, then comes Camp Wainwright.