Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2007, 06:45 PM

Default The Most Important Hunting Tip Ever!!!

Watch, learn and live... let's all be careful out there! Regards, Mike

http://www.myoutdoortv.com/index8.ph...id=131&Itemid=
Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 PM

WOW thats pretty powerful listening to the family and the hunter responsible. sure pulls on the heart strings thanks for sharing that.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:20 PM

how the hell do they think one month in jail which he spent two weeks three years probation and 350 hours comunity service makes up for a mans life

does maine have a regulation like we have about 1/2 hour after sunset ???????? if it was that dark what was he doing with a loaded weapon and shoting at what he though was a deer that video just goes to show what happens when people just don't think or don't care about safety
Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 PM

Chuck, that's exactly how I felt when I first watched it. I want to show it to my daughter as she will be hunting for her first time this Saturday. At this point, I think it might do more harm than good, but I will let her see it very soon.

Mud Slug - From what I gathered it was the guy's close relationship with the family that saved him from a lot more serious time. It certainly appears that he was hunting and shot after legal time. You are right some people don't think or care about safety, but just as important I think it sent a strong message about allowing adrenaline and buck fever to get the best of us.

I think it would be great if the AHEIA was able to incorporate this in their hunter training program. Regards, Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 08:01 PM

after seeing the video again you were right Bullshooter but i still think he should of got more time seeing it agian i also think that maby it should be a part of the hunters ed course let people see what shooting a sounds without identifing whats makeing those sounds can do and see what happens to the people involved and the emotions of the ones left to grieve the lose of a loved one
Old 10-23-2007, 08:09 PM

Very well put together documentary on an event I wish on no one. All hunters should view it just to ensure we all remain focused on Know your target and beyond!
Old 10-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Wow...what a great video......It really brings back some close calls that I had durning my short big game hunting experiances...Im sure most people on this board have had similer occurances...I remember silent stalking on afternoon walking on a ridge and glassing with the bino's, I noticed another hunter on the other side of the valley with his rifle up and pointed in my direction, I could not believe it...I started waving my arms ect to get him to drop his gun, i was crapping my pants to say the least. Another time while field dressing my one and only deer that I shot I had two other hunters approach about 150 yds away..I was in the open and wearing the orange, again up comes the rifle and a quick peek through the scope then back down again... It took me 5 yrs to get that one deer ( bad hunting partners it is a long story) and that was the last time I went...too bad as I absolutley loved hunting both with the bow and rifle...sent the deer to the butcher then sold all my gear....Now i get to read all your posts and still wish I could get out there.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 PM

Very sad story but one that replays itself every year. My wife used to hunt with me until the day we had to hit the dirt as a guy unloaded his rifle at a doe that was in between us and him in an open field. We were standing in blaze orange coverals less than 100 yrds away. Luckly F&W were watching from the hilltop and busted the guy who was from BC filling his sister-inlaws doe tag here in Alberta. Everyone who hunts with me knows I'll ask if chambers are clear more than once a hunt. I also know some people think it's over kill but I maintain open bolts should be in all pictures much like they are when your at the range and theres a halt in the shooting. Basic safety is not that had to turn to habit. As stated above I'd rather have a cheap set of binoculars pointed my way.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:07 AM

Bull i agree that a video of that stature should be incorporated into the hunter program. that will stick in the mind of all hunters.

Bruceba i hunt with my quad and i too check my rifle more than once a day. some people call me crazy but when i get of the qaud to walk i usually put the clip in but remain unloaded then take it out when i get back to the bike and head back to exploring and somtimes it gets so crazy i doubt myself if i did take the clip out so i stop and check. it somthing i started to force myself to do when that doubt lingers in my mind on if i did take the clip out after my walks, now it second nature to stop and check if i can't remember.