Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 12:44 PM

Default Obed Lake

Hey guys I’m working in Edson and want to hit up Obed lake one night after work. But I’ve never fished there or have I ever fished for brown trout. Was wondering if you guys could give a little advice. Not looking for hot spots but maybe depth of water? Structures? Lures like flies or maybe crank baits or spoons? Feel free to Pm me if you’d rather! Thanks in advance!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:07 PM

The lake is quite shallow in most places. This is the map. might give you a better idea.

https://mywildalberta.ca/fishing/fis...ymetricMap.pdf
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 AM

The Browns in that lake are very picky and often difficult to fool. They have lots of feed so everything on your end has to be right. Matching the hatch would be a good place to start. The water is very clear and you can often see huge fish but if you've seen them, they've already seen you most times and are heading the other way. Rewarding place to fish if you can figure them out, frustrating as hell for most though and not really recommended if you like to put up numbers. Lots of guys call it Skunk lake. lol

Good Luck!
Old 05-23-2018, 01:07 PM

If you don't have a boat I wouldn't even bother. Try different thins and the key is persistence. It is one of the toughest lakes in the province even if you kind of think you know what you are doing.

If you catch anything decent throw it back, too many guys keeping fish now and its getting tougher each year. Until they change regs to protect decent fish I can't give much more advice since I already struggle to catch the odd fish as it is.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Yeah I have heard it’s a tough lake but I’ve also heard that it’s a lake that’s worth checking out too enjoy the scenery as well. I will try a bit of everything!.

Ravyak i do have a boat and a kayak so I will be able to get on the water which I’m looking forward too. And I totally agree with you there are way too many trophy fish or fish with potential to be trophy fish being taken from the waters. I’m 90% of the time a catch and release fisherman so I pinch all my barbs anyway. I totally expecting to be skunked haha just happy to get out on the water most days!
Old 05-23-2018, 02:43 PM

Might catch some perch in Obed.

Drewski
Old 05-23-2018, 03:31 PM

I live in Edson and fish Obed a lot. The big browns are very skiddish and will takeoff if they sense they don't like near them. I have had goodluck catching the smaller browns right off the boat launch with metallic purple bluefox spinners. You might get a few perch but the lake was hit really hard last year and the once large schools of perch are few and scattered throughout the lake.