Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 09:32 PM

Default Air rifle help

Hello Air rifle fellows
I bought a browning 177 calibre pellet gun for crow control. It came with a 3x9x40 power scope. I mounted the scope and for the life of me can't get it to sight in.
Called Browning and they told me to remove the scope and use the fibre sight to see if that makes a difference,_nope
Its not a restricted model and shoots 495 ft per second
Im a big Browning fan but I know they didn't make this,At $400 I thought it should be something decent over the $150 guns,

I could keep it and know that the sons will have a collector gun later on or return it and get my money back
If anyone knows any tricks, please let me know before its returned

Thanks
Pin
Old 05-08-2018, 09:35 PM

Have you tried a different pellet?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:23 PM

Return it and buy a Weirauch or Diana . thats something you can pass on to your kids and there kids and will actually shoot straight . D&L air guns in BC is great to deal with
Old 05-09-2018, 12:39 AM

I’m not familiar with the Brownings in particular but I’m assuming this is a springer. The first air rifle I purchased was a springer that came with a supplied scope. I dealt with the same sort of scenario you describe. Tried another scope. Same thing. Then another with better mounts. Same thing. Then I did some reading and discovered the reverse recoil generated by springers and how many scopes are not designed to handle the recoil in both directions created by the springer. I purchased a scope designed for this and was almost off to the races(will get to this) several hundred dollars later complete with a small heap of needlessly ruined scopes. But that does not explain why you couldn’t get a group without the scope. My next issue was hold of the rifle. Never in my wildest dreams did I think a firearm could be so picky on how it needed to be held. Not saying it’s your issue but it certainly could be. As mentioned above, try a different projectile. They can be every bit if not more picky than a centrefire on what it likes to shoot. This can vary at distance also. I’ve had pellets group sensational at 15 yards and go to absolute crap at 20 or great at 50 but don’t hold at 100 etc. I bet I was north of 15 different designs and weights before I found the one.

I’m a PCP shooter these days but there are some very accurate springers out there when set up correctly.

Last edited by Big Lou; 05-09-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:36 AM

Man you think for a $400 177 caliber pellet gun it would shoot ,we used to buy cheap $40 ones years ago and they were would kill what we shot at.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travco1 View Post
Return it and buy a Weirauch or Diana . thats something you can pass on to your kids and there kids and will actually shoot straight . D&L air guns in BC is great to deal with
^it's what I was thinking..but wasn't going to say it.

I sold my last gas gun, and bought a Diana 24 (-500fps) in .22 a few months back. Primary purpose is blasting barn pigeons which I learned this past weekend...it does an exceptional job of. I bought it gently used (looks new) for I think $175 shipped? German gun, lovely thing. I wouldn't let the Browning name on an airgun be the deciding factor, I'd pick an established name in the airgun business. D&L is an exceptional place to deal with too, as mentioned.

I might also add that while you don't need a fancy scope for spring piston guns...you do need an OK one. I trust the one supplied is rated for springers...assuming yours is. Either way, the combos that include scopes usually don't include good ones, so you could always start there. D&L sell Hawke scopes, you could always try one of those...see if you're having the same issues.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:19 AM

I would start by cleaning the barrel. There still may be some shavings, machine oil or lead deposits in the grooves. Check the crown as well. Just like any other firearm there is a break in period to condition the barrel.

Try different pellets, like real firearms they can be as finicky as a woman when its time to eat. Generally I find wad cutters work best in low velocity pellet guns. The alloy pellets generally get your faster velocity but I'm finding at the expense of accuracy.

As per the scope, many of the air rifle forums concluded that there is not enough forward recoil in the sub 500 fps pellet guns to effect a standard scope. Over 500 fps though you will need a rated scope. This point is mute for you as it does not group well with iron sights anyways.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Banned

Save yourself all the hassle and buy a gun that shoots harder than what you have , Im thinking a lot of crows are going to die off in the bushes later on unless you are real close up . Yes scopes are a problem on air guns like springers , I use a dot sight and it works . Of course iron sights work also .like some of the posters said
Try iron sights,
Try different pellets ,
Clean the barrel
Tighten all screws etc
Keep your targets at a reasonable distance Very important!
Old 05-09-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Save yourself all the hassle and buy a gun that shoots harder than what you have , Im thinking a lot of crows are going to die off in the bushes later on unless you are real close up . Yes scopes are a problem on air guns like springers , I use a dot sight and it works . Of course iron sights work also .like some of the posters said
Try iron sights,
Try different pellets ,
Clean the barrel
Tighten all screws etc
Keep your targets at a reasonable distance Very important!
^great advice. I've never had barrel-fouling/dirty barrel issues...but air guns can be super fussy about what pellets they like to shoot. Seems especially so with spring piston guns. On a positive note, pellet availability has never been better.

I've shot crows with sub-500 fps, .177 caliber air rifles (LONG time ago) but for instant kills you needed shots from less than 25' away. Pigeons aren't as tough (my opinion) and certainly not a smart (everyone's opinion)...but I prefer heavier pellets for pest work. Even more so if there isn't allot of velocity. The gun I have is supposed to shoot around 430fps and neck/head shots drop them like rocks.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:07 PM

Someone mentioned a break-in. It often takes about 500 pellets before an airgun will shoot consistently.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:33 PM
Banned

I've had several air guns and my opinion is that you will be happier regarding kill ability with a .22 cal......that aside, I like other posters, have found your accuracy continues to improve the more pellets you put down the pipe. after you've shot 25 lbs of pellets, start using different kinds/weights until you find one it likes. they certainly are fussy about how you hold them.

in my opinion, I had to learn how to shoot the air gun because all the things you know about regular rifles don't seem to apply.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:50 PM

After putting a Red Dot on my 1000 fps Gamo, 14 one shot kills for sqirrels, scopes are junk on most air gun.s unless you spend more than the gun is worth, went through 4 scope's before I went to the Red Dot, springer's are very hard on scope's even a good 3x9 Leupold bit the dust.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 PM

thanks for all the replies
I have a gamo 177 and broke the sight off the front
I like my brownings so I thought Id add another one to the collection,
NOT
I tried different pellets and it didnt seem to help
Gun is being returned tomorrow.\Will look for a new adventure
Need to control some early morning crows

Pin
Old 05-09-2018, 11:16 PM

Being your in the market now. I would seriously consider a Weinrauch. Worth every penny. Spend most my time shooting sparrows as they try and take over my tree swallow and purple Martin houses. God i hate those birds lol. Crazy accurate. Just wish i bought one decades ago
Old 05-10-2018, 05:02 AM
Banned

Just bought a benjamin Nitro Piston xl in .25 cal , Shot a dozen pellets into a plank at twenty feet , It seems to do ok with a Red dot sight . It certainly hits hard , and cocking is a lot harder than any I have had before . This I am sure will kill as the fellow on Forged in fire says LOL . But keeping a reasonable distance is the key with pellet guns . IF i ever get another it will be the Air Force in .25 cal , Pre charge . I am not fussy of the tank business , But with a spare tank as the one the gun uses as a stock should be the way to go , compared to hauling a large tank for spare power .
Old 05-10-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny G1 View Post
After putting a Red Dot on my 1000 fps Gamo, 14 one shot kills for sqirrels, scopes are junk on most air gun.s unless you spend more than the gun is worth, went through 4 scope's before I went to the Red Dot, springer's are very hard on scope's even a good 3x9 Leupold bit the dust.
^I'm the least argumentative person I know...but I have to point something out after reading this. The issue isn't about scope quality so much, but about scope design. The issue with spring piston air guns is that the recoil force is the opposite of a standard firearm~which is rearward. When you hit the go button on a spring piston air rifle, the piston fires FORWARD..coming to a pretty abrupt stop. It actually requires the resistance of a pellet to prevent the piston from actually slamming TOO hard and damaging itself. Also why dry-firing a spring piston gun can mean it's demise. Either way, the recoil is in the forward direction primarily which will rattle lenses loose on even good scopes. Scopes meant for SP guns account for this, and the lenses are supported for recoil in both directions. If you look on D&L's site, check out the HAWKE line of scopes, and confirm when ordering any scope from them that it's OK for use on a SP gun. I suspect everything they sell is.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:34 AM

As well as the cheap Slavia guns, I have owned a .177i Weihrauch HW97, and a .22 Ar Arms TX200. The .22 drives a heavy pellet at just under 700fps, and it is more effective on pigeons, crows, and ground squirrels than the .177 is. Both are heavy guns to carry, and both are accurate. I am using a Hawke scope on the Air Arms, and while it isn't the greatest optically or at transmitting light, it does hold zero quite well, for a reasonable price. Like firearms, you do have to try different prohectiles, to see which ones work best in your rifle.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Being your in the market now. I would seriously consider a Weinrauch. Worth every penny. Spend most my time shooting sparrows as they try and take over my tree swallow and purple Martin houses. God i hate those birds lol. Crazy accurate. Just wish i bought one decades ago
Pixel Shooter is exactly right. If you are a 'do it right first time' kind of person then you will start and stop your shopping with weihrauch.

If your pest control needs to be discreet then you want their most legendary model the hw30s in .177 cal full power version. This air rifle also branded the beeman r7 if you like to google and research...the beeman r7 is sold extensively in the u.s.a. so there is tons of info on it that way too.

for discreet pest control there is such a thing as noise, shootability and adequate penetration but not too much penetration, nothing does it better than this little rig and can do it for a few generations

i wrote some about it awhile ago...my original lives with relatives who need it all the time, i just bought two more for my kids from the other airgun place in canada i believe, not d&l, there is a canadian airgun forum you can learn more and dealers etc.

you can buy the 495 fps version and also get the full power spring and install it, just sayin

this little rig is quiet, pellet on pellet accurate, and perfect power level to minimize pellets flying all over the place you don't want them too.

if you want more power and discretion isn't required then get the hw80 in .22 cal full power, it will crush your crows at 50 yrds all day, the hw30 in .177 will be more like up to 30 yrd all day rig

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/archi.../t-131701.html
Old 05-12-2018, 09:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Buy a pellet rifle scope that can take the pounding and you should have no issues.
New rifle should always be cleaned of gunk etc, had a few pellet rifle that were tack drivers but as with all guns you gotta give them a fair shake as in cleaning, types of ammo, proper optics etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-12-2018, 07:30 PM

If u want a new shooter, try Scopes and ammo mail order.

http://scopesandammo.com

I’ve ordered from them several times.

TBark