Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Seeing that orange Nasby’s auction hammer sign at night on hway 16

Chicken on the Way

426-5 oh 5 oh, if your hungry...............? We called as kids, the guy delivered, and we had no idea we needed money. I was the only one who got spanked.

The museum of telephones atop the AGT tower. Most BORING school trip EVER!

Arcades. Omg. Arcades. Between me and the girls, we NEVER had enough quarters......
Chicken on the Way!
I remember the juvenile calls we made to that place.

Ring "Chicken on the Way"

"Hi, do you have chicken in the box?"

"Yes"

"Well then you better let it out! Yuk Yuk Yuk"
Old 02-11-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
We must have grown up in the greatest of all times. That's why I find it so hard to let go, and just enjoy what we have now, I've become such a grouch, upset with every change that comes along. A hard right conservative.
30-40 years from now today's youth will look back fondly on these days as the best of times. It's because we were young the past was so good. Getting old sucks.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:36 AM

It will be the late 70's, early 80's for me.

Muscle cars galore in high school. Bleach burn outs. Thinking line lock was the best invention ever. A&W on 118th st to see all kinds of HP.

Arcades everywhere.

Smoke filled pool halls in the basement of strip malls that the parents warned never go into. As kids we would walk down the long stairs and peek in the door and think that place is cool. Once we were old enough and actually went in, meh, played the arcade games.

Guns, antlers and hides from the dads who hunted for show & tell.

Trying to grab a bumper on a car and slide with your feet behind it on the ways to school on the neighborhood snow covered roads.

Street Hockey in the winter almost every night and every weekend. CAR!!!

Tobogganing the local hill if we were not playing hockey

Raiding Gardens
Old 02-11-2018, 05:12 PM

Default Maybe before your time

Coming into Edmonton on Hwy 28 or 97 st, we were still not in town
when we went under the railway tracks by 127 ave.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:56 PM

Growing up in the 60s in Coutts and sneaking into Montana to hunt in the coulees coming off the Sweetgrass Hills and along the Milk.

Then moving to Saskatoon and going every Friday after school to line up down the stairs of the Police Station to use their indoor range.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:15 PM

Saving up odd job and babysitting money. Taking the bus downtown to the WW Arcade. Buying a scoped Lee Enfield with a sling and two boxes of ammo for $55 bucks. Taking the bus back home with my new treasures. I was 14 and nobody batted an eye.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
I grew up in the 90’s. We had bad music, terrible music and ugly vehicles.
Ha. Ain't that the truth
Old 02-13-2018, 01:55 PM

Loved that store

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Seeing that orange Nasby’s auction hammer sign at night on hway 16

Chicken on the Way

426-5 oh 5 oh, if your hungry...............? We called as kids, the guy delivered, and we had no idea we needed money. I was the only one who got spanked.

The museum of telephones atop the AGT tower. Most BORING school trip EVER!

Arcades. Omg. Arcades. Between me and the girls, we NEVER had enough quarters......

"....call the Lydo!" That was always a treat - parents only ordered that when we had distinguished guests.

Loved that AGT musuem... I remember being fascinated at that burnt rotary phone they had on display. Mostly I enjoyed the view - it was the tallest building in town at the time.

My dad wasn't into hunting when I was young, but he had friends who were... I just loved to hang out with them and look at their rugs and mounts and quiz them about their adventures in the bush. We did have some terrific fishing sessions at Wabamun and Pigeon, though!

Skiing on the Whitemud hill (at Fox Drive) when they still had a tow rope (before they put in the fences to keep you from going all the way down the hill), and skating on the creek there. Skiing with broom sticks as poles.

Good memories.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:41 AM

Default 60's - 70's

I remember when the north end of Edmonton ended at 137 ave. We used to walk across to Speedway Park to watch the CAN AM car races, and the many dragster nights. Anybody remember the "Fox Hunts" ?
We would also take out .22's and use the bleachers as a shooting platform to shoot gophers in the huge pasture their. One time the police were using the track for training while we were shooting. We thought we were going to jail, but instead 3 of them spent 2 hours with shooting with us as well. And no matter how hard we tried, they would not let us shoot their pistols. They would remove the ammo and let us handle them. I'm sure our eyes were as big as saucers.
We also spent a ton of time at Griesbach when the Airborne was still there. No fences so we could use all their scaffolding and training areas. They were the coolest guys, cause they seemed hugely tall. I remember some of them letting us carry their packs, and walking with us.
Those were the days.......
Old 02-19-2018, 07:43 PM

We used to bring our shot guns to school and put them in our lockers to go hunting after school. My shotgun in the case of coarse fell out of my locker and one of the teachers just stepped over it. Didn't even blink an eye. That was in college. They even had a rifle in the display case that was being rafled off for fund raiser with a box of ammo next to it too. I even remember commenting to a buddy, that I thought is was kid of stupid that they did that. That was in Lindsay, Ontario school of Natural resources. That was in the mid 80's.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:22 PM

Yes 70's were great times for me in St Albert..Spotting duck shoots coming off Big Lake, hundreds and hundreds of ducks flying north from the lake. We used to walk up to Big Lake along the Sturgeon River, ducks, muskrats and fat mudhens. We started with sling shots & pellet guns, then .22's then 12 & 20 gauage shotguns. Also late 60s and early 70s, who can for forget the Ski Doos lined up at the Bruin Inn along the river. TNT's, 640's and 775's,compression galore.hah.The guys inside having a cool one.Also in St. Albert, who could forget the Klondike Inn,great burgers.Great memories.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:51 AM

Default the old days

buying a box of .22 shorts for 47 cents so I could shoot gophers on the weekend. Going to Bill's Café to see if the nieghbour was there, he liked me and would allways buy me a milkshake. there were booths that had the juke box controls in them 5 cents a spin. Farmers day in may, games of chance baseball log sawing ladies pounding nails. Ukrainine weddings all u could eat and drink and dance full of friends an relations and neighbors. I gew up on a farm outside of Mundare ab, so going to town was a real treat, getting 50 cents to spend was great but sometimes a dollar
Go to Jack Dlins candy store jujubes 3 for a penny and FIRECRACKERS I could go on for hours
Old 02-20-2018, 10:26 AM

FIRECRACKERS! Lady fingers, block busters and sparklers!
I remember firecrackers. We even had a holiday that us kids called FIRECRACKER Day. Actually I think it may have been Victoria Day.
Firecrackers were sold at every store in Calgary and were lighted everywhere except they were not allowed on school grounds. Eventually the Fire Department was called to a few fires and a couple children were injured and the City of Calgary banned the sale of firecrackers without permit.
That was a few years before the 60s
Old 02-20-2018, 10:59 AM

In the 60s and 70s, if you looked at the vehicles parked along the street, this was a common sight.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
In the 60s and 70s, if you looked at the vehicles parked along the street, this was a common sight.

Those sights were common and also it was common not to lock the door to your home and leave vehicles un locked and sometime the keys inside.

Joy riding was very common, unlawful entries (B&E) to homes were often by open door and firearms were there for the taking. Police did not have time to write chicken poop traffic tickets because they were too busy writing insurance reports for stolen property including guns.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

Yes and at that time the gun could have a loaded mag in the vehicle.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Those sights were common and also it was common not to lock the door to your home and leave vehicles un locked and sometime the keys inside.

Joy riding was very common, unlawful entries (B&E) to homes were often by open door and firearms were there for the taking. Police did not have time to write chicken poop traffic tickets because they were too busy writing insurance reports for stolen property including guns.
I grew up in a rural community where break ins to homes and automobiles was rare.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:20 PM

Bull moose in zone 400 was not on draw and bull elk in zone 300 was not on draw. Way more access into the forestry to.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Moose , Elk , Sheep, Goat hunting lic $5.00, White tail 3.00 , antelope 10.00
No draws for Deer or Antelope in southern ab. As I remember, sheep and goat drawn. Moose and Elk reg lic. Them were the days... I used to be a hunting lic vendor at the international border, sold bird lic to Bing Crosby and Phil Silvers in 1964.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:59 PM

Default Growing up in the 60

Ahh, the good old days, when you could catch jumbo perch at bunch of different Alberta lakes. Moose, Tucker, Ironwood, Frenchman, Fork, Pine......the list goes on and on!
Old 02-23-2018, 03:04 PM

coming home from school going out and getting a pheasant & bunnies. going before school to check traps. skinning em in my parents basement

l
Old 02-25-2018, 09:29 AM

Awesome Thread gotta go now but I'll be back.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:21 AM

Although I'm only 18, I feel like I'm part of the older generation. What happened to the days when the boys used to go outside and fix/tune up the old muscle car or pickup truck, crack a few beers and blast some Springsteen, then go driving on country roads or city streets on hot summer nights instead of doing whatever "we" do now. I'll have to write an article one day and elaborate more. The moral of the story is Springsteen wouldn't write songs about today's cars or today's kids. Shame.