Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 05:05 PM

Disco!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:17 PM

My first 22. Winchester model 490 auto: $83.00
Winchester model 88 in 308. $136.00
Case of 500 Imperial 22 Long Rifle. $10 at Army & Navy
50 cents to go to a show. Got me in the door, pop & popcorn included.
10 cents for a bottle of Coca Cola
10 cents for chocolate milk out of a machine at school
Carried my dad's 22 on the farm almost everywhere I went
Gay meant being happy.
My first trapping money: $3.90 for 3 muskrats & one weasel.
The worst druggy in school sniffed glue. He was an idiot sniffing or not.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
After I got my driver's license in the mid 60s a buddy and I would head east on 16th Ave. Just outside the city limits there were lots of sloughs where we had permission to shoot ducks. When the season opened there were lots of pheasants to be had even without a dog, however my buddy had an awesome black lab. A couple years earlier when I was about 14 and just started shooting we used to talk guns and shooting with one of our teachers who was an avid reloader and even mentioned reloading in science class. I remember him giving us a problem to solve. If you have a pound of powder which is 7000 grains and each load required 40 grains, how many loads per pound?

Times have changed
Had a principle in jounior high. Who’d take us skeet shooting or out to his acreage where we shot a 9mm and other various hand guns. I don’t recall permission slips being needed.

We also spent time using his chainsaw and axe. We cut him a lot of firewood. Every Friday afternoon was outdoor ed day in 1977

BW
Old 02-08-2018, 05:41 PM

Blasting ducks before school at the north end of Chestermere with a $50 Cooey 12 ga single shot bought new at Woolco.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Blasting ducks before school at the north end of Chestermere with a $50 Cooey 12 ga single shot bought new at Woolco.
I remember shooting ducks between the main lake and a smaller lake to the north. If we did not have time to go any where else this spot often produced a limit. Where we shot was next to a road and most of us crossed the fence into the field. Sometimes there may have been at least 20 shooters within a couple hundred yards. Sometimes when the shooting started t would rain ducks but often they were so high that it would have taken anti aircraft guns
Old 02-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Sidney I Robinson mostly known as SIR. out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. A fantastic outdoors catalog. With always a great cover picture. They talk of the Sears Christmas catalog, that was no match for SIR.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
if you went to chestermere high I bet I can name a few teachers of that time
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 02-09-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
Sidney I Robinson mostly known as SIR. out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. A fantastic outdoors catalog. With always a great cover picture. They talk of the Sears Christmas catalog, that was no match for SIR.
S.I.R catalog was right next to being a BIBLE in those days
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 02-09-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
I wonder how many kids can even figure out how to open the hood on the vehicles today??
Probably the same amount as in “your day.” That is if you did your job and handed it down.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
if you went to chestermere high I bet I can name a few teachers of that time
FLHS, y'know-the hood.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Banned

About 1968 , First big game rifle, .303 Lee Enfield, still wrapped in brown wax paper, the rifle inside the paper, completely covered with cosmoline, included the matching bayonet , cleaning kit and detachable magazine, and sling

$14.95 Canadian , Army & Navy Department Store , New Westminster BC

No one asked my ID or Age, paid cash, walked out the door,

Also bought 1pound of bulk military ball ammo, $0.75cents a pound, if I recall correctly,

I was 14

Last edited by elkdump; 02-09-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:08 AM

The wonderland that was W.W. Arcade...
Old 02-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Did I hear someone say Disco???????????????????? BlorT
Old 02-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Bought my first 22 at Army & Navy, down town Edmonton, took the bus both ways, funny no police were called, kid on the bus with a gun, very different times then, mid 70's
Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhoot View Post
Did I hear someone say Disco???????????????????? BlorT
That's where all the hotties were.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
S.I.R catalog was right next to being a BIBLE in those days
I bought my first big game rifle at SRI in Winnpeg. A British Lee-Enfield army surplus 303 with iron sights for $ 9.99. They had two garbage cans full on the store floor. I harvested my first 8 deer with that rifle and still have it for sentimental reasons.LoL my Dad wouldn't let me buy a Scope as he "Said they were for sissies!!
Old 02-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Default Edmonton 1950s

I remember the 50's & 60's in Edmonton. I was going through some ole shoe box's of photos the other day and found this negative of a picture I took of Edmonton's skyline. I believe it was taken around 1957. It’s a negative from size 120 film taken with a "folding camera". It looks like it was taken from down in the flats, probably not far from Wolfe's Taxidermy, where I spent many a Saturday morning after "cashing in" at the Journal. This got me thinking of downtown Edmonton and Jasper Avenue back in the 50's…….does anyone remember Pete Jamieson?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg McDonald Hotel ~1957.jpg (107.8 KB, 292 views)
Old 02-10-2018, 10:24 AM

Default Gun Range In School Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Monday night

Shooting .22’s with DND ammo in the basement of the junior high school. Guns and ammo stored in a locked closet. An actual range in the basement of a junior high school.

One thing i liked about Fairview
When I went to Victoria Composite High School in Edmonton in the late 70's
There was a gun range in the basement, Mrs Luberts taught marksmanship, remember it like yesterday!
Old 02-10-2018, 04:56 PM

Default Growing up in the 60s

I remember going to WW Arcade, and buying snelled hooks. Card of 6 for 9 cents.,we would go to Moose Lake, and caught walleye and perch from shore till hell wouldn't have 'em. Used minnows that we caught right there where we fished. What a fantastic childhood!
Old 02-10-2018, 05:26 PM

When I was growing up back in Vermont, (1950's and 1960's) no one had 4 wheel drive. People threw their deer or bear over the hood, fender, in or on the trunk, etc. to bring it home. So, we walked most places because you really couldn't drive a car off the road. Most everyone hunted with open sights.....usually a Winchester Model 94 30-30. People hung their deer in trees next to their house or on a game pole. No one had ever heard of B&C and the measure of a buck was how much it weighed. I don't ever remember not hunting and fishing....it's just what we did. No sense watching tv because we got one channel and it didn't come in very good. Played a lot of cards in the winter and listened to the radio while eating popcorn and drinking apple cider...

A bear my uncle shot...

Our neighbor and good friend, Dub.

My sister with a pair of bucks my Ma and Dad killed...1956.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:14 PM

Default Growing up

Cool pics. Thanks for sharing those.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:04 PM

Great pics Tatonka2.

Strix mentions Edmonton's skyline...I remember when the 'Welcome to Edmonton' derrick was on 51st ave and Calgary trail. That was where the city started. Edmonton's population was about 200K the first time I visited.

I remember ...

~when there were still coveys of sharptail grouse that numbered in the hundreds within an hour of Edmonton. They were wary birds and sat on the stooks in the fields. A 22 was the only way to reach out to them.

~ watching a mule deer migration to their wintering grounds in the early 60's near Pigeon lake. The deer were walking single file across an open field 500 yards from the road my folks were driving down. We stopped and watched for 15 minutes. I guesstimate there were 300 or more deer of every size. Antlered and not. I figure the single file of deer was at least 600 yards long.

~ going to pigeon lake and catching 12 inch perch all day long in the shallows. And in the early 60's going ice fishing and 100 fishermen fishing in a small area near mission beach. Nobody had tents, just sitting on pails. My sis, her husband and I limited out on whites in 30 minutes. Ya, that's like one fish every 3 minutes, each. And so did every other fisherman limit out. Everyone was pulling out a whitefish every time they put their hook down. The lake ice was writhing in fish. That was before wireworm hooks too. Everyone was using small russian teardrops and minnows.

~ when you could still take a passenger train from Edmonton to west of Leduc to places like Calmar, Thorsby, Sunnybrook, and Breton, Rimbey, Lacombe and points between. This ride went from Leduc west, then south and east ended back on the main rail line by Lacombe. Early 60's the service stopped.

~ when there were small mixed farms and they all had pastures. And in those pastures were hundreds if not thousands of gophers. I could easily go with 2 boxes of whizbang 22 shorts and dad's 1895 winchester pump 22 and be shot out in an hour....dozens of gophers later...every day of the week.

~when I could go out west into the Brazeau/Rocky forests and not hear or see a quad. Be lucky to see anyone, and when I did see someone it was a welcome sight and a warm greeting.

~ the fun part was in the 60's and 70's when all the teenage guys had hopped up muscle cars with hundreds of horsepower and gas was cheap. Could fill a gas tank for 10.00. Everyone would drive up and down and perform on small town main streets on weekends, just like in a parade.

It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-10-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Eastglen Comp. in Edmonton did have a gun range in the basement. The gun club had (guestimate here 6 or 8) 22's, and we would bang away. I believe the shop Teacher was old time ex military and he was our Instructor.
I very much doubt if it still a viable range!!
First indoor pool i ever saw was Eastglen. Used to sit on the lawn with slurpees from 7-11 on 118ave and watch the Klondike Days fireworks with all my friends

Werent allowed to go there to see the fireworks up close because, according to parents, the hippies would be out and they would take you away!,,, lol
Old 02-10-2018, 08:39 PM

In 1975 at 10 years old I could ride my bike to the general store and get a bottle of coke, a bag of chips and a can of Copenhagen all for iirc $3.60.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:54 PM

Anyone remember the Hostess potato chip bags that would have the ‘free Bag’ printed on the inside of the cup bag?

Used to bike all the way to Londonderry mall from around dickensfield.

Used to hunt for the icecream guy riding the bike....

I’d spend whole days north of Smokey Lake on my Gidos farm... he gave me three traps and he buy me pellets for my pellet gun. Long good days.... lots of dead gophers.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-10-2018, 09:25 PM

Default Growing up

Sure is sad to think of what the world has become.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:39 PM

Seeing that orange Nasby’s auction hammer sign at night on hway 16

Chicken on the Way

426-5 oh 5 oh, if your hungry...............? We called as kids, the guy delivered, and we had no idea we needed money. I was the only one who got spanked.

The museum of telephones atop the AGT tower. Most BORING school trip EVER!

Arcades. Omg. Arcades. Between me and the girls, we NEVER had enough quarters......
Old 02-10-2018, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Sure is sad to think of what the world has become.
you sure are right.........at least I'm able to look back and remember all the things you guys have mentioned.

pity isn't it, that when we're gone, no one will even know those good times existed. guess i'm getting old and emotional, 'cause it really makes me sad times can't be like that anymore.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:31 PM

We must have grown up in the greatest of all times. That's why I find it so hard to let go, and just enjoy what we have now, I've become such a grouch, upset with every change that comes along. A hard right conservative.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:36 PM

Not the 60's or 70's but similar experience. I was turning eleven when I came to this country. It was 1980. Dad bought his first gun in Canada at the Army and Navy in New West. It was a Marlin 336. We went hunting just past Maple Ridge in our baby blue 1968 Ford truck. Imagine 2 kids and 3 adults in a single cab. I was able to fit between the door and the driver. Even though it was the early 80's in the Lower Mainland, there were still guns visible in the back windows of trucks. Bought my first pellet gun at the swap meet on Lougheed Highway. Cost me $2. A kid at my school gave me $2 for a Stan Smyl and Tiger Williams hockey card. I think he got in trouble for doing that. I think everything started changing in Vancouver after Expo 86.