Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-26-2018, 08:18 PM

Default Labrador Retriver Breeder(s) in Alberta

Hello every body,
Do you know any Labrador Breeder in Alberta preferably British Lab?
Thanks
Alberta.elk
Old 01-26-2018, 10:18 PM

I got my British Labrador Retriever from Oak lane retrievers in Saskatchewan good people to deal with.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:08 PM

Default Brittish Labs

Bought three Labs off these folks and have had serious problems with all three of them.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:30 AM

We have two labs from Cowboy Up Kennel. Highly recommend them.

http://www.cowboyupkennel.com/
Old 01-27-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles View Post
We have two labs from Cowboy Up Kennel. Highly recommend them.

http://www.cowboyupkennel.com/
X2 on cowboy up
Old 01-27-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMac12 View Post
X2 on cowboy up
X3 Cowboy up. Great dogs
Old 01-27-2018, 07:11 PM

Default Black Powder Kennels

Check out Black Powder Kennels website

Hall of Fame dogs
Old 01-27-2018, 07:37 PM

I’m adopting a pup presently as my fathers yellow lab girl, and Ma’s Black lab dog had puppies on the 27th of December.
Nine lil grunting, pooping, uncoordinated (getting much better now though) fur balls.. four chocolate, and five black lab puppies.
They are both pure bred parents, yet after I’ve been researching for my own reasons.. only one with papers is the mom Bella... as the sire(Boe’s) own father Drake didn’t have papers. Yet is purebred as they get.
And English Labrador Retriever bloodlines are the strain.
I won’t be doing shows. Myself.. I just hunt ducks and geese like crazy.. and as long as I know they’re from good purebred bloodlines, is all that matters to myself.
They’re just over four weeks right now.. first litter for both parents.

I haven’t placed a post on here yet, as they’re in Stratford Ontario. But there is still one black male, three black females, and two chocolate females that aren’t spoken for.
PM if interested and or for pictures.

Best of luck in your search

I’ve just come to Ontario from Lloydminster as I’m picking out a black male for myself... and yes they love one of the goose wings I’ve brought from last season lol.. had too

Jon
Old 01-28-2018, 09:25 AM

My British Lab came from Wildrose in Dewinton. Extremely good family dog and was real easy to train for birds.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:49 PM

There seems to be a little confusion when using the terms "English" "British" and "American" when describing a Labrador Retriever.

Most would agree that none of the above descriptions are interchangeable but in fact they all are. There is only one breed standard although they differ ever so slightly from country to country. All Labradors should share the exact same ancestry.

In the real world, some of the best "English" Labradors were born and bred in the USA and in fact had never a relative in the UK, some of the best "British" gun dogs have never stepped foot outside of Canada and there are "American" field dogs romping the fields of Europe. It couldn't be any other way because they all come from the same place! You guessed it, Newfoundland and Labrador.

In theory an English is what we would expect to find excelling in a show ring, an American we would expect to find excelling at field trials and a British would be at the heel of a true English gentleman patiently awaiting an afternoon of work under a fine English SxS. In reality most any Labrador is a fine looking individual and will out hunt 90% of hunters, just like most shotguns and rifles will out shoot their owners. We all know those guys buying the latest and greatest golf clubs yet their handicap hasn't changed since they took up the game.

I want a dog to look a certain way. Generally speaking that would suggest English but many Champion English dogs do not appeal to me. I like a dog with a little more leg and less weight over the shoulders than most English. I find the short legged, heavy chested dogs too slow and more prone to injury from the added weight on the front joints.

I want a dog that can hunt. Generally speaking that would suggest an American Field dog but many American dogs do not appeal to me. They are just too hyper and too high maintenance. I get out a lot but I am not retired and some days a 10-15 minute run is all I have time for. Most days off I hunt or fish but some days a sandwich and a nap is a nice idea as well. I would never push the boundaries of what a true "American" field dog is capable and would feel guilty in restricting him.

That leaves only the British right? Most British field dogs are too small for my liking. A British male generally comes in between 50-70 pounds and they look a little too hound dog like for me. I like my females between 60 and 70 pounds and my males to push the breed standard at at least 80 pounds and 90 is even better.

So obviously what I like in a dog is not for everyone. I search out dogs with the characteristics I like. I check carefully that all health issues have been screened for and a health guarantee is offered, I check carefully the pedigree to ensure there is hunt and confirmation in the back ground, I generally only purchase from a repeat breeding and I ask for and follow up on references.

A person should be truly honest with themselves as to what they want in a dog and seek out those characteristics without bias to the "English Show" "British Elite" or "American Field" stigma. Just look at the opinions on the "Upland and Pheasant Shotgun" thread, one size certainly does not fit all when it comes to outdoorsmen.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:34 AM

Has any one dealt with antler meadow Labs?

Looking to get a chocolate in early 2019/spring 2019. Just browsing and looking for places to go visit. Family/waterfowl dog is what I would be looking for
Old 01-29-2018, 08:40 AM

Looking to get a chocolate in early 2019/spring 2019. Just browsing and looking for places to go visit. Family/waterfowl dog is what I would be looking for
Old 01-29-2018, 08:47 AM

I can't comment on british vs american but if you're looking for a lab to hunt over look at Trailrunners in Saskatchewan before deciding. My dog is way better at hunting than my experience in training says he should be and 4 years after getting him I'm still able to email Fran and expect a reply full of good information.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:12 PM

I have to correct myself. I put the wrong name down. It isn't Wildrose it is Willowrose Labradors
Old 01-29-2018, 02:38 PM

Starstruck Labradors is where I got my British lab, south of Edmonton. He is perfect
Old 01-29-2018, 07:22 PM

All reputable breeders will list the pedigree and health clearances on their website. Someone was kind enough to list the titles you may see here.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=titles

Breeders of designer dogs have a tendency to avoid listing pedigree and instead speak to the uniqueness and temperament of the "Mom and Dad". Back yard breeders use the same tactics.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:20 AM

You are right about the pedigree, Willowrose lists all that.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:18 AM

Default Labs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkataker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkataker View Post

Check out Labralyne in Calgary, awesome British Labs.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 AM

I feel like I am beating a dead horse but most of you are referring to English Labradors as British Labradors and although genetically they should be one in the same, they are not.

If you google Wildrose Kennels you will see British Labradors. A male generally goes 55 to 70 pounds. They generally have a strong hunting back ground and are what most purists consider a true Labrador. They do not jump out for outstanding good looks and although they will field trial they have trouble competing against their American cousins that are bigger, stronger and faster. They are awesome companions and hunting dogs but quite ordinary in every sense of the word and I mean that with all do respect.

English breeders choose for looks and wow factor. They choose (arguably) the best looking dogs that carry themselves a certain way. To wow a judge these days, a male should push the limits on weight and be very blocky through head and shoulders. These are also the proud folks that bring us "Fox Red" "Polar Bear" and "Silver". Yes they can be pure, BUT they were chosen due to a genetic peculiarity which most would agree is a poor way to bring out the best of a breed. The majority of these breeders hold little regard as to hunting back ground and you had best do some research if you expect a great hunting dog from these lines.

American dogs are chosen to be bigger faster and stronger than the competition and have an extreme built in compete factor. They are generally high strung and driven. They appear lanky compared to their cousins even though they are generally heavier. They can be a handful for even an experienced handler but if you love to hunt the rewards are often worth the effort.

This is all in general terms and exceptions are certainly not hard to find with some research . I look for English dogs that can hunt but what ever you desire can be had with some diligence. If the OP is in fact searching for a British dog, they are perhaps the rarest of the bunch.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
Bought three Labs off these folks and have had serious problems with all three of them.
I’d be interested to know what the nature of your problems have been. We got ours from Oak Lane and he has been great. Despite my original intentions, l’ve not done much hunting with him though. He’s been great as a family member and not a single health issue so far as he closes in on 3. Cleanest set of ears I’ve ever seen on a lab. His instincts are good and He’s showing promise as a shed dog. I’m considering getting another from them and this dog has been night and day easier to train and can be trusted off leash pretty much anywhere, unlike my last lab.

Note. Oak Lane advertises both American and British style labs (not English). Ours fits the description and temperament of a British lab, he weighs in at a beefy 63 pounds with his pudgy winter weight on. Maybe a bit less when summer quad runs and daily swims are a more common.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:34 AM

Just some reading that might interest the OP;
http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/
Old 02-03-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Just some reading that might interest the OP;
http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/
As you will read on that link in the "about us" section, British dogs are chosen for their nature retrieving abilities and not only are they to be handled in a gentle manner but needing "force" to train is considered a crucial flaw.

When I first joined this forum I suggested that retrievers not only could but should be trained without the use of "force" whenever possible, I was jumped on by an angry mob more unruly than an American bred duck dog.

The logic behind training without "force" is to create a dog that hunts with you rather than for you.

"Forced" dogs are retrieving machines and do not understand quit. They can however become robotic in behavior. They live to please their owner rather than live to hunt. They get every bit as excited about going afield as an unforced dog just as a agility trained dog loves and lives to work for his/her handler.

So here is where things get sticky and arguments start. The best Labradors I have ever hunted over simply loved to hunt. They developed somewhat by trial and error simply by experiencing what did and didn't work. They learned where and how wounded birds behaved as well as the cover that upland birds liked to hide in. They became better with time as they honed their skills and their senses developed.

It is an exercise in frustration as they learn. My baldness is not genetic it is nearly 100% Labrador induced.

Think about this; Foxes, coyotes, wolves, bobcats, lynx and every other predator on the planet are better at finding their prey than we are. Why should I be telling a well adapt predator how to find birds? When a dog figures out that I need to be with him (in range) in order to be successful it is magic. He leads me to the prime habitat because he remembers where he found birds before not because he was ordered in, he stays in range because he understands striking distance not because someone is whistling or hollering at him, he develops and utilizes his superior nose and eyes because he has never been dictated to as to where and how to find prey, he becomes a leader not a follower of the hunt because every animal aspires to be alpha and he brings the bird to hand because that's what we are there for and this is the most basic instinct of a well bred dog.

HOWEVER, other ways work as well and if you would rather "force" your dog that is entirely your business and I have no interest in arguing with you. What I would suggest is to choose a dog suited to your style of handling.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:57 AM

Default Force

How about starting your own tread.BTW i like my birds hand delivered not spit out at my feet.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake slayer View Post
How about starting your own tread.BTW i like my birds hand delivered not spit out at my feet.
Considering this thread is about British Labradors that are chosen by nature not to be "forced", my posts are in line with the topic.

People (especially weekend outdoorsmen) are leaning back towards English and British bloodlines. These dogs are calmer and softer than their American cousins and many do not respond well to or need "force". They are much easier to handle and make better companions for the novice or casual bird hunter.

I am sorry that my posts threatened you and put you on the defensive. That was not my intention. I would suggest you should start your own thread or educated yourself on the successful handling techniques for British and English Labradors.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:00 PM

Thumbs up Cowboy Up Kennels

"Jax" has been a pleasure to own. Top shelf operation and people to communicate and purchase from at Cowboy Up Kennels
Old 04-25-2018, 10:13 AM

Default New lab

Hey peeps, I'm very excited for the fall breeding of my new lab from Razor's Labs in Manitoba. I'm curious to know if anyone here has a Razor lab and how they have made out with them?
Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 AM

Cowboy up
Old 04-25-2018, 05:08 PM

I have a chocolate from antler meadow awesome dog
Old 04-26-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Considering this thread is about British Labradors that are chosen by nature not to be "forced", my posts are in line with the topic.

People (especially weekend outdoorsmen) are leaning back towards English and British bloodlines. These dogs are calmer and softer than their American cousins and many do not respond well to or need "force". They are much easier to handle and make better companions for the novice or casual bird hunter.

I am sorry that my posts threatened you and put you on the defensive. That was not my intention. I would suggest you should start your own thread or educated yourself on the successful handling techniques for British and English Labradors.
Your posts are entirely appropriate to his thread and it is VERY important to understand the difference between British and American style Labs. Force train a British dog and you will likely completely ruin it but by the same token, if you aren't willing to use at least some force don't ever get a high strung American rocket dog.

I like soft temperament Labs as I have never liked force training or food training. It also means I will never own a dog that will consistently win in the top field trials but they do make great companions and hunting dogs that are a pleasure to work with.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

Great post. Applies to my English.