Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 07:52 AM

Default Pea fields and geese?

We have geese here now not by the millions but still lots. The pea fields have been combined and swept pretty clean if you ask me but that has never bothered the birds before.

I have yet to see a goose on any of the pea fields near my house. This is terrible because I have permission!

Are there different species of peas or is there some other reason.

Ant insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:56 AM

IMO, the geese aren't really moving yet. Even around here, I'm not seeing the geese feeding in large groups yet - and they are sticking fairly close to the water for now. Hoping it picks up into October.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:08 AM

How much rain have you had in the past couple weeks? Geese like their peas hard,, if you get enough rain, the peas will soften, swell, split and generally turn to mush. Once this starts happening, peas seem to lose favour with geese.

Freshly sprouted cereal grains (particularly barley) often becomes the menu of choice as the peas get fed out or weathered out.

You have just also experienced why prescouting and securing permission before the birds start feeding doesn't really work that well when it comes to hunting waterfowl.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
How much rain have you had in the past couple weeks? Geese like their peas hard,, if you get enough rain, the peas will soften, swell, split and generally turn to mush. Once this starts happening, peas seem to lose favour with geese.

Freshly sprouted cereal grains (particularly barley) often becomes the menu of choice as the peas get fed out or weathered out.

You have just also experienced why prescouting and securing permission before the birds start feeding doesn't really work that well when it comes to hunting waterfowl.
Nailed it
Old 09-25-2017, 08:50 AM

Default Thanks for the help.

The permission is no big deal, the fellow is my neighbour and I offered to take him with me. I never thought about all that rain, and we got lots. I have seen them in the combined barley as you mentioned.