Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-26-2013, 06:25 PM

Default I Miss The Metal Tags

I don't know about you guys, but I sure miss the metal tags and the little checkbook. I can't stand the new ones. I feel like I'm buying ski lift tickets! Darn things get all rolly or folded up...can't keep them in a wallet as they are too wide. They come apart and I keep losing that darn metal thing.

I'm I the only one who hates them??? lol
Old 11-26-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I sure miss the metal tags and the little checkbook. I can't stand the new ones. I feel like I'm buying ski lift tickets! Darn things get all rolly or folded up...can't keep them in a wallet as they are too wide. They come apart and I keep losing that darn metal thing.

hum good luck not sure what to say
Old 11-26-2013, 06:40 PM

We should to a three tag system like Saskatchewan then you wouldnt see as many guys loosing their tags ......lol
Old 11-26-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:

lol at "get all rolly"!

Yeah, I hear ya, but I don't lose sleep over it!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
We should to a three tag system like Saskatchewan then you wouldnt see as many guys loosing their tags ......lol
It would make it harder for the cheaters and poachers to have a 3 tag system...
Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I never hunted SK. What's the three tag system?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I never hunted SK. What's the three tag system?
Hide, antlers and meat
Old 11-26-2013, 06:49 PM

metal tags were a lot more durable thats for sure but there were ways around them as well. I reported a guy that used to go out and shoot a deer, throw it in his truck and stick the leg through his back window with the metal tag around the leg. If he got stopped he would simply snap the tag closed and push the leg back into the truck. If he didn't get stopped he would process the deer once he got home and then go out the next day for another. Try as they might he never got caught while on the road. Once he got home and started processing it if he seen them drive in same thing. Took them almost 8 yrs to finally get him.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Hide, antlers and meat
You mean in SK they have to tag all three? Does a secretary come with 'em???
Old 11-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
metal tags were a lot more durable thats for sure but there were ways around them as well. I reported a guy that used to go out and shoot a deer, throw it in his truck and stick the leg through his back window with the metal tag around the leg. If he got stopped he would simply snap the tag closed and push the leg back into the truck. If he didn't get stopped he would process the deer once he got home and then go out the next day for another. Try as they might he never got caught while on the road. Once he got home and started processing it if he seen them drive in same thing. Took them almost 8 yrs to finally get him.
Ya some guys used to slide the tab just far enough so it would stay but not "click".
Old 11-26-2013, 06:53 PM

The tag system in Sask you have to cut the date out on the tags too. makes it tough for guys to resuse the tags over and over. Great system in my mind
Old 11-26-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
The tag system in Sask you have to cut the date out on the tags too. makes it tough for guys to resuse the tags over and over. Great system in my mind
Oh ya... I saw that in MT. Good idea. But I still like the metal tags...lol
Old 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I agree we should have that on ours...

The metal tags u could also hammer them on something and they would lock without the tag closing so guys would use that excuse too as to why the tag wasn't closed....our system is better to prevent that.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 PM

I liked the Ontario tags. Long and thin that wrapped around the antler base or the hind leg. They had a perforated part in the middle that got torn up if you tired to removed it. Also had to notch out the date and time you shot it, so even if you did manage to separate it, it was still no good for any other date or time.

No wires to loose and they fit in your wallet. Not that these tags are that much of a pain but I guess when you grow up with something you resist change
Old 11-26-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but I sure miss the metal tags and the little checkbook. I can't stand the new ones. I feel like I'm buying ski lift tickets! Darn things get all rolly or folded up...can't keep them in a wallet as they are too wide.
Tags fit perfectly in ziploc sandwich or snack (half the size of a sandwich) bag. I put all my tags, metal frames, wildlife certificate etc. in a ziploc and in a zippered pocket in my main hunting bag. In it are all the essentials I need to hunt, big game or birds. Tags never get foldy, moldy or rolly.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Tags fit perfectly in ziploc sandwich or snack (half the size of a sandwich) bag. I put all my tags, metal frames, wildlife certificate etc. in a ziploc and in a zippered pocket in my main hunting bag. In it are all the essentials I need to hunt, big game or birds. Tags never get foldy, moldy or rolly.
That's what I do too. I also pre-fold the tag in half so there is a crease there when applying it to the metal hanger.

I spoke with a F&W guy a couple of weeks ago and they don't like them either! One complaint is that they rip too easy if you are dragging the animal a long way. He suggested that you skin the hide a bit around the leg to make a "pouch" that you can shove the applied tag into. The only requirement is that the tag be on the animal, not that it be visible. Easily able to pull it out if you are stopped!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
One complaint is that they rip too easy if you are dragging the animal a long way.
All my tags get buried under electrical tape for the trip out of the bush, no exceptions.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
TOne complaint is that they rip too easy if you are dragging the animal a long way.
I don't know about that....

I used a quad to drag my deer out yesterday and didn't take it easy at all on it. Just wore the yellow colour off the tag but no damage. I was on it hard to see what would happen to the tag...
Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 PM

We have resorted to putting a few wraps of electrical tape on the tag and around the leg to make sure they don't get lost during transit or dragging.

The don't stick worth a darn sometimes in the cold or wet weather unless you warm them up I've found.

Like mentioned above the Sask system is not a bad idea. Cutting dates on the tag would be and extra safety for our province too.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:24 PM

I miss them too, I have a couple of deer mounts with the tag still on the antler.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:29 PM

When you go to skin out the hind leg tendon to affix the tag, create a little pocket up one side of the leg....when the tag is affixed tuck it up inside the pocket you just made....it protects it nicely.

LC
Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
I miss them too, I have a couple of deer mounts with the tag still on the antler.
Those were the days. Metal tags, trikes, and stubby beer bottles.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:31 PM

Years ago I had the new tag fail,I couldnt get it to stick. Tied it on as best I could,then wrapped it up with survey tape.
Coming back from Nordeg I got stopped by F & W, he was really good about it,after a bit of a chat he signed my tag as being used and put his initials on it.
I would to have a place to sign / date your tag to avoid this in the future. At least then they know the tag is done with
Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 PM

How about the BC tag system where you just cut a notch out for the Month and day of kill...No problems ripping the tags or getting them to stick...
Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 PM

Default Stubbies

I miss the stubbie beer bottles too.

I lost the paper tag off a moose years ago. It was easily dealt with but wasted my time and F&W officers time as well.

The metal tags were easy to cheat with and I bet some poor schmuck had to inventory them at least once a year. Waste of money.

I don't know what the answer is. Or why they did away with the stubbie beer bottles.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:57 PM

Here is the Sask tag, remember you need to supply the string to tie it on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.0 KB, 178 views)
Old 11-27-2013, 10:31 AM

Should use printed zip tie system, durable not reusable,
Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
How about the BC tag system where you just cut a notch out for the Month and day of kill...No problems ripping the tags or getting them to stick...
Is it still the book system? You used to get a booklet and each page would have a place to apply a purchased sticker for the species. Then you would notch out the date of kill.

The problem with that was is there is nothing attached to the animal. I know of several cases of guys shooting multiple animals on the same day and only transporting one at a time.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:15 PM

we should have compulsory registration for every big game
Old 11-27-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
we should have compulsory registration for every big game
Sure, Just what we need, more useless bureaucracy!
Registration did nothing for guns, what makes you think it will solve any problems with harvesting animals?
Cheaters and Poachers won't be bothered to buy or use tags properly, why would they register animals.