Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-27-2007, 11:53 AM

Default First bow coyote (almost)

Went out to my spot in the Calgary bow zone last night, running late from a long day at work. Turns out the landowner has moved a group of cattle (including several big bulls) from his Bassano pastures right up to my spot. So, plan B was to sneak around to the opposite side of the property to where I had been seeing a few mulies early in the season, hopefully to try the old spot and stalk. Well, after a long walk, I saw only a couple of WT does in the neighbouring property, and I was feeling pretty discouraged. I thought I might as well try for a coyote if nothing else, so, I set up against one of the only bushes around, with the orange horizon at my back, and let loose with a "bear cub" distress call ( sounds more like a rabbit). Within seconds of my first set, I spotted a yote on a hard run toward me. As anticipated, he circled downwind, and stopped boadside, at what I estimated to be 40 yrds. I drew with him looking in my direction, obviously blinded by the backdrop, and at the shot I saw my arrow miss low by about 3 inches. He took off , but a second one I hadn't seen stood around for about 5 minutes at around 60 yrds. I was tempted, but decided against donating another expensive arrow to the tall grass. Almost, but as they say, almost doesn't count. By the way, if anybody in the Calgary area is interested in seriously bow hunting these critters, PM me. It seems like it is probably best with a two man setup, and I have permission on some decent land (lots of it).
Islander