Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2007, 10:53 PM

Default hunting close to edmonton

hey everyone, I am new to this hunting thing, only been hunting for a few years... I live in edmonton and am trying to find a place close by edmonton to hunt (within an hour or so in any direction....).... I will am looking to hunt any big game animal.... or birds.... Can anyone suggest some crown land... or an owner of private land that I can contact? I know it is asking alot... but I have to try last 3 seasons I have gone out and got nothing.... The only place i know is slave lake... and that has not been very fruitful for me... send me a pm if u dont want to put ur spot of the public board....

it would be very much appreciated.....
Old 10-22-2007, 09:00 AM

glad to hear that you have taken up hunting, your soul will thank you.
finding a spot near edmonton is not very difficult, there's lots of crown land an hour or so from the city. your first step would be to decide what you want to hunt. if i were starting out from scratch i'd go for whitetail deer, there are lots, in fact there are too many and the seasons reflect the need to thin them out. check the regs for the wmu you choose. wmu 337-338 south and west of entwhistle are about an hour from the city and deer are plentiful there is lots of crown there as well.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Slave Lake not very Fruitful????

OK Python, you have me realllllly curious. Where around Slave Lake are you going? If you are going for Whitetails, try the Martin Hills Haul Road northwest of town. Or, go north to about Kilometer 60 on Highway 88 and drive all the Lease Roads around Nipisi. Both areas are high grade roads that should be no problem in dry weather for any vehicle.

If you are just trolling for tips, I can understand your comments, otherwise, what in gods green earth are you doing that you don't see game around Slave Lake?

Drewski
Old 10-22-2007, 03:05 PM

I am also interested in finding a place to hunt close to Edmonton. I live on the north east side, so WMU 250 and 242 are fairly close.

Does anyone know where I could find crown land there to hunt grouse?

Please PM me if you want to keep the location discrete.

I normally travel out to WMU 349 where I know some people, but that is a long way to go. I wish I had a place that I could run off to after work during the week.

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Ne - 506

I've run into some spots in 506....that was a few years ago. Can't relate the directions.......but look into getting some property maps that show ownership by name and crown land on them. County offices have them for sale.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:09 PM

One effective way to secure good hunting spots is to obtain a county map from Map Town. This will depict the landowners. Next, drive around until you locate a chunk of land which appears promising. Look at your map to determine who the landowner is. Ask for permission. Walk the land. Look for deer sign. Shoot deer. Do the same next year. Focus on securing permission to productive areas. Shoot gagger. Drop gagger off at taxidermy. Mount on wall. Look for bigger gagger. Become obsessed. Never devolve location of your hotspots lest someone else bag your next gagger.

Bobby B.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 PM

Default near edmonton

Phthon: drop me anote, lots of Whitetails close to Edmonton and always willing to help out a new fella to some great eating.

Greg
Old 10-22-2007, 09:43 PM

hey python; would you mind explaining what you hope to accomplish this season? how much experiance do you have? have you ever shot anything before?
if it's advise you need i'm sure there's lots of us old dogs that will be glad to help. being green to this sport is nothing to be ashamed of and the only dumb question is the one that goes un-asked.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBuck View Post
I am also interested in finding a place to hunt close to Edmonton. I live on the north east side, so WMU 250 and 242 are fairly close.

Does anyone know where I could find crown land there to hunt grouse?

Thank you in advance.
Go to 936 it well serve you well, there is a phone number in the hunting regs that you must contact to make an appointment to sit in on a class. Oh and there is a farmer in 242 that allows hunters, but I haven't hunted there since 2003. He was still there in 2006 I can PM both of you on how to get thier later on after work. He owns a 1/4 section and leases another 1/4 or 1/2 section. I actually gave clear directions to one user once on here but that is all I do, afterwards I pm people.

Last edited by Dunezilla; 10-23-2007 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:12 AM

As a new member of the hunting fraternity I would just like to thank all those who posted replies to this question.

Helps out alot. I'm thinking of going to Blackfoot/cooking lake myself in Nov. (gotta get a permit and avoid hitting the birdwatchers ) I didn't have much luck a few weeks ago in 515 near LLB (all does and fawns).
Old 10-23-2007, 09:21 AM

does make good jerky an fawns make great ham roast ... get a supplemental tag.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:25 AM

python, 337/338 is fairly close to a hour from the city and excellent hunting out here for most everything. Lots of crown land. Definitely help you out with a guided tour or directions if need be.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Default re:

thanks for the advice everyone... pmd a few people.....

you guys are great....
Old 10-23-2007, 05:32 PM

i think i might visit wmu 936... any advice or tips?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 PM

aim first then squeeeeeeeeeeeeeze the trigger.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
the birdwatchers ) I didn't have much luck a few weeks ago in 515 near LLB (all does and fawns).
That is why they want does dead....there are so many of them, and as someone said get the antlerless WT sup tags and help out. They taste much better than an old buck anyhow.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:59 AM

"i think i might visit wmu 936... any advice or tips?"

Hey, are you looking for a second set of eyes? I'm thinking of going out there too (Nov. 10th or 17th). Total noob though so I might not be too useful.

If not, let me know how it goes.