Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-05-2018, 09:04 AM

I witnessed Normanrd make a confirmed kill on a gopher at 440 yards with a 220swift.

LC
Old 05-05-2018, 10:12 AM

Nice shot!!
In my youth, I was gifted a BSA .22 long rifle falling block martini rifle, with bsa peep sights, and post sight on the front, there was a thin and thick post, could either one up. I have also shot gopher's at close to 100 yards with that rig, not in the gonads though!!! And I was using CCI maxi's, used to come in the 100 round clear plastic case, for under $$4.00!

Went to a turkey shoot last fall, used their rifles, not allowed to use your own any more...........Argh......... Old eyes ain't what they used to be with the old irons............but the BSA peep sights are awesome on the old martini, to bad i can't use that rifle at the turkey shoot, would give me a leg up on having to compete with those 12 year olds and their hawk eye's !!

That's okay...........for the long distance gophers I have a .220 swift also, bipod, custom ultra light trigger topped an old bausch and lomb target scope with the fine cross hairs. My late friend, Paul Lefebvre built that rig for me.
An older Rem 700, 28" bbl, macmillan fiberglass stock, trued and tuned the action, etc. That rifle is capable of taking the furry rats out to 400 yards also, like lighting !!

Their used to be a fellow that made 36 grain double hollow point bullets for reloading in.22 cal, on the box it said make those varmints fly.........they did for sure, great grimy gobs of gopher guts!! He rolled up the carpets here, and moved down to Haver Montana. I still have some of them reloads with those 36 grain double hollow points, save them for special ocasion gophers!

The rifle has a heavy barrel, stock, etc and weighs in at about 12 lbs, no recoil or muzzle blast, you can see the bullets flight path to the target, looks like a meteor as the bullet literally vaporize's itself !!

Happy gopher hunting to all !!