Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-28-2018, 04:48 PM

$11 will get you

1/6 of a dinner for one at a nice restaurant (no drinks)
1/2 of a dinner for one at an average restaurant (no drinks)
1 McDonalds meal
2 Starbucks coffees
5 Tims coffees
1 movie ticket (probably only on Tuesday and with no snacks)
2 drinks at a bar
6 pack of Ranier

HINTING GEAR
8 black Cloud 3 1/2" loads
1/3 of 1 cabelas northern flight decoys
1/22 of a layout blind

If you don't think you can afford an $11 dollar increase in a license you can use this list to help you budget. Stop being melodramatic if you cant spend an extra $11 its because you don't want to
Old 02-28-2018, 06:08 PM

Remember that this group now are part of Climate Canada now so is that where some of our funds are going??????

Quote:
Canada Has Ended the National Wetland Conservation Fund
By Water Canada 02:49PM February 02, 2018

Quote:
Yesterday, Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) announced that it has cancelled the National Wetland Conservation Fund (NWCF). Projects that were funded through 2019 will remain in place, but no further projects will receive funding.
From September 2014 and March 31st, 2017, NWCF contributed nearly $25.5 million in funding to 198 projects. In the same period, more than 2,600 hectares of wetlands and uplands were restored while 340,000 hectares of wetlands and uplands habitat were enhanced.
“Wetlands are a proven ecological resource that increase the resilience of a watershed and protects communities and wildlife from the impacts of climate change and other human-caused disturbances,” said Elizabeth Hendriks, VP freshwater, WWF-Canada. “It is hard to imagine why a government with a mandate to support green infrastructure and address climate change would remove a tool that communities are using to restore critical wetland infrastructure.”
Old 03-01-2018, 06:06 AM

If you actually read the document, you will find that the permit revenue is a small part of the expenditure on Migratory Game Birds and all of the Habitat Stamp revenue goes to Wildlife Habitat Canada for distribution to habitat projects.

https://whc.org/conservation/conservations-grants/

No, Canadian Wildlife Service is not getting rich off your puny license fee.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:46 AM

I also suggest that hunters protest the cancellation of the National Wetlands Conservation Fund to their MP and the Minister of Environment.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:47 AM

The issue with raising fees is that they can just keep going up until it is prohibitive. Might not be at $30 but how about $100? $200?

Our ancestors used to hunt for free.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
The issue with raising fees is that they can just keep going up until it is prohibitive. Might not be at $30 but how about $100? $200?

Our ancestors used to hunt for free.
I guess it's the same as getting a raise in pay ..pretty soon a guy expects one regularly?. As has been stated, the migratory permit is probably the cheapest item of a waterfowl hunt..and the funds are allocated to benefit waterfowl
Old 03-01-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I guess it's the same as getting a raise in pay ..pretty soon a guy expects one regularly?. As has been stated, the migratory permit is probably the cheapest item of a waterfowl hunt..and the funds are allocated to benefit waterfowl
I disagree with the analogy of wage increase.

The fact that it is the cheapest license does not make it any better.

All Canadians should pay a portion of their taxes which is specifically dedicated to protecting our wildlife - not just hunters.

If we are not collecting enough taxes then reduce some of the waste and/or increase the priority for wildlife management.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:59 AM

Hunters and Outfitters are the only consumptive users of the resource.
Paying a license fee is a small contribution.
The actual costs of the waterfowl program are much larger, and the balance is paid for by taxpayers.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:40 AM

No I don't think this increase is the end of the world, but it still has to be justified. There are cases where it could be significant. Thnink of the situation where dad used to hunt, would like to get back into it, but would also now like to bring his 1 or 2 or 3 kids along.

I pay for my son's licenses, they are 15 and 17, and inexpensive. (Yes I make them pay for other things, but for now I cover licenses)

But, by the time we get certificates, bird game, migratory and big game tags, it adds up. If you are wavering on getting back into hunting, or maybe your kids are not totally hooked yet, and you can't go every weekend all season long, the "next" increase might convince to say "to heck with it".
Old 03-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
No I don't think this increase is the end of the world, but it still has to be justified. There are cases where it could be significant. Thnink of the situation where dad used to hunt, would like to get back into it, but would also now like to bring his 1 or 2 or 3 kids along.

I pay for my son's licenses, they are 15 and 17, and inexpensive. (Yes I make them pay for other things, but for now I cover licenses)

But, by the time we get certificates, bird game, migratory and big game tags, it adds up. If you are wavering on getting back into hunting, or maybe your kids are not totally hooked yet, and you can't go every weekend all season long, the "next" increase might convince to say "to heck with it".
Are your kids in any sports?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
Are your kids in any sports?
If they are they will be playing sports every weekend unlike the average hunting kid out there.
My kids get out about 2 times a year with a shotgun so I totally understand what he is saying. I can afford the extra cost for the 2 times they might use their license but like he says some will say forget it. I don't think the change will impact a ton of people but it will make a difference on some. I don't mind fee increases and think as long as money is used for bettering things then its all good
Old 03-01-2018, 12:25 PM

The sports is winding down, but they were in hockey, which was way more expensive, but also way more important to my kids at the time. Hockey basically killed hunting for me for almost 10 years.

I was assistant coaching two of my boys and it was every weekend, from sep to march. Heck some tryouts start in August. I was lucky to get them out more than two or three times a season. Plus, when we started several years ago now, it was a down cycle for grouse, the sloughs around our farm were still pretty dry. Bird hunting wasn't chock a block full of shooting. I think only my youngest will stay with it, the other boys are not nearly as excited to go.

I'm trying to get my hunting life back. I will pay the fees no matter if they quadrupled them, but I could see some guys, with kids that are not even sure they are into hunting, saying "awww forget it." Why have they had "free hunting day" if it is so easy and everybody is ready to pay whatever to get involved?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
Hunters and Outfitters are the only consumptive users of the resource.
Paying a license fee is a small contribution.
The actual costs of the waterfowl program are much larger, and the balance is paid for by taxpayers.
I would offer that you add poachers and industry to the consumptive users.

The latter consumes the environment which impacts the wildlife and its sustainability.

This is a national resource. All Canadians should pay to protect this via our taxes.

The license program should cost very little especially if it is moving to an electronic format.

A license fee is a small contribution until it isn't a small fee.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:26 AM

Such a shame that people who couldn't care less are the actually ones that are implementing these changes.
How they can even justify additional costs toward the licences and they are going toward online purchases.
So we have to pay a fee on top of a fee, it is shameless...