Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-26-2018, 12:01 AM

Default Black Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Well, it wasn't quite as "easy" as I made out.
I have been suffering from a "catastrophic retina & macular detachment" in my right (shooting) eye since last May. Long and short of that is I actually tried to give up hunting (my LIFE!) a couple of times last fall, but my Partner booted my ass hard, and would not let me do so.

The day this fellow wandered by, we were committed to taking him down for reasons already posted. Two weeks previous I had him at 60 yards at dusk, but simply could not make him out through the scope with the damaged eye. So I gave up. Buddy kicked me back into gear by critiquing the amount of Sorry For Myself I could wallow in. Damn happy he did. Started to practice with the left. Painfully Awkward. Painfully SLOW. But workable...

That evening I was set up in a ground blind that trail cams confirmed a very good Blacktail was wandering by on a semi-frequent basis, as well as a few others, and of course the damn bear. When the snow increased to the point I could not see much more than 50 yards, I instinctively knew the deer would be a no-show. But as I rationalized that, I also understood the bear just might show. No sooner thought that, and there he was...

As he passed me at 20 yards, the top of his shoulders were higher than my head off the ground. I was sitting on a small stool I pack between the blinds. Never seen that height before that close. Looked down at the old stainless 270 and very well remember thinking Do NOT Eff This One Up!

Shoulder (on the left) the first time. Scope (a good VariX III) was fogged due to my error of tucking it under my belly to keep it out of the falling snow. Damn. Dropped it to my lap, but only tried to clean it with my fingers. That had the unfortunate effect similar to smearing Vaseline over the lenses. Down again, fumble for the lens cloth, found it, and did the job properly.

The bear at this point stopped, dropped his nose into the dirt, and snuffled loudly. Perfect. Lined up the shot described, and sent that 150 grain Nosler Partition on it's way at 40 yards. Knocked him right off his feet, but he jumped up and ran HARD. Damn. Lined up and let another go at about 70 yards. Hit high in the neck, knocking him down once again. He did not get up. I was damn thankful he did not... The second shot simply ran through a little muscle and fat well above the spine. It was not necessary, but I did not know that. And we had perhaps 10 minutes of shooting light left... The thought of a wounded and ****ed off Big Boy in the heavy brush after dark is exactly why I fired again.

Exciting few minutes, followed by an extraction that required five men, a quad and a trailer.

There is another Boar damn near the same size that moved in after this one left. Rancher wants me to deal with it in the spring. Put a neighboring Rancher on that job if it is required and informed the first I will indeed look for him in the fall. This time I plan on the same shot, with my bow...

Cheers,
Nog
PS Is that a green river knife?? Used that style knife a lot,a few swipes of a steel, and just like a razor------
Old 02-26-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Perhaps...
Had one of the sirloin hams off that bugger last night.
Tender, Juicy and quite Flavorful:

The Lady rather much Approved:

To the OP: Apologies on the hijack!
Did not mean to get quite so carried away.

I but rarely hunt from a tree stand, but can see why you suggest the shot placement from them as you do.
For me hunting from the ground (we cannot bait bears over here), I will stick to my lining up of the heart and the offside shoulder every chance I get.

Hope you have a great spring season!

Cheers,
Nog
Youre killing shot brought good fortune. That ham looks delicious.
I haven’t had bear ham since 2002 when I was posted to Cold Lake Ab.
Bear summer sausage was good too.
I took an island black bear back in 1994 with my Jungle Carbine .303 west/south west of Comox Lake. It went three ways between us. My brothers wife being from Quebec, well I never ate so much tortiere.......
As for my shot with the 303, it was Straight thru the shoulder, iron sights and she rolled over dead.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:59 AM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
PS Is that a green river knife?? Used that style knife a lot,a few swipes of a steel, and just like a razor------
Similar. Same knife in the bear fat picture and carving up the ham - it gets a fair amount of general purpose use. Dexter Russel Model 1378. High Carbon Blade, that REALLY takes an edge. Pigsticker, de-boner and general kitchen work - it is one of the tools I use a LOT.

Balance of the ham going to split pea soup today.
Fitting, it is cool and drizzly, so time for a little stay inside Comfort Food.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 PM

Nog, I'm telling you, you keep posting pictures like that, and you'll soon be needing to set a few more places at that table!
Old 02-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
... Might be an idea to get well up there in a tree stand, those island monsters for sure going to do some chomping when hit.
I hunt with a crossbow btw. Have put well over 3,500 shots through it, and am confident to ranges well beyond any I would consider for hunting purposes. It will do the job as long as I do mine. Taken a lot of deer, some of substantial size, with it. A bear is likely next on the agenda for that implement.

I have backed up a fair number of bow hunters over the years out this way.
The Jungle we live in (Rain Forest actually) is awfully thick, and not where you want to be following a ticked off boar into with a sharp stick. For that reason, I always have on hand my Pacifier when we're using the sticks & strings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Nog, I'm telling you, you keep posting pictures like that, and you'll soon be needing to set a few more places at that table!
LOL! Bit of a drive for most of you out there, so I feel kind of "safe" in that regard.
That said, there are indeed a few from here I'd set a plate for any time.
A few others... well... not so much...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 02-26-2018, 02:34 PM

Default Black Bear

Yes, the island terrain not as many people would imagine, Many years ago I worked the logging operation at Kelsey Bay, I can remember filling up 400 gallon cab tanks, to cool the logging trucks brakes on the long traverse down the mountain, thick , thick, brush. Those beautiful full size minature deer. Over the years i stopped wounded bear with the iron site pump 12 ga slug, your coach gun no less effective.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:59 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
... Over the years i stopped wounded bear with the iron site pump 12 ga slug, your coach gun no less effective.
Only employed for right in your face encounters in the tunnels.
Damned Effective actually as most shots are well within 20 feet or less.
Sometimes MUCH Less...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 02-26-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Those beautiful full size minature deer.
And tasty too. I remember leaving Comox and heading towards Forbidden with my shotgun then switch to rifle past the power lines.
I would take one of three blacktails to Gunther meats north passed Vanier high school for some delicious pepperoni sticks.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:52 PM

Default blacktails

Beautiful animals. Went to a community hall dance somewhere near Kelsey bay, a huge fight broke out among the natives,,got under a table and hide out until many car loads of law enforcement showed up, that was a danty.