Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Charged by grizzly

Just a heads up for those fishing the Clearwater river north of the Clearwater store (trading post). On Monday was walking back to my truck after an amazing day of rainey day fishing with my 9 year old son. From behind me he says dad did you hear that stick break and starts to scream. Spinning around I seen a grizzly charge from the brush. When they say everything goes into slow motion I can say folks , everything slows down to a stand still and your legs and arms suddenly become completely useless. I put my boy behind me and started to scream and waved my arms while whipping my ugly stick like an english broad sword. This later on was a topic of much mirth . She stopped her charge at 20 yards and from behind her 3 cubs stood up and bawled. She spun around and retreated after the cubs which would indicate she was a good mother and just as scared as we were. We stood our ground, lots of yelling and waving and appears to have worked but Im thinking first timers luck perhaps thank God. I was not packing my usual 12ga friend or spray this time as I was fresh from work up north and very excited to be home and in a hurry to hit the river without my usual gear. This was a decision I will regret forever as my son was put in imminent danger due to my poor judgement. Spent Tuesday with the Rocky fish and wildlife at the scene. Appears she has an extensive history there which is interesting as I fish and hunt the river alot and outside of cougar tracks never ever have seen bear tracks or scat as in the soft mud that would be seen sooner or later. So for those that want some wicked fishing which requires alot of walking please come on out but pack your spray or whatever else you choose and stay alert .. for what its worth the spotted black and pink and white Panther Martins are getting slammed hard this year..
Old 09-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Glad to hear that you and your boy are OK. That's a close call, 20 yards is not far at all. Quick question, were her ears up or down, if you can remember??

Never been charged by a Grizz, but have been chased when I was a teenager out in K-Country. If it weren't for my late dog, we all would have been toast. He stood up to him and ran the other way to lead him away from us. I thought my dog was a goner, but he showed up at the cabin a few minutes later without a scratch. Will never forget that day! The F&W guy wanted to give us a ticket for having the dog off-leash LOL... Those guys sometimes.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:20 AM

After rick cross was killed, and myself being chased by a moose, stalked by a pack of coyotes and bit by a dog...I've made it a point that I don't step out of the truck without spray. Spend enough time outside and the odds catch up. Glad you are ok.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:24 AM

that would scare the heck out of me
Old 09-07-2017, 10:35 AM

Wow. Glad it ended well for your son and you. Could have been very different for sure.
I personally always have spray with me. It's attached to the pack I always wear so it isn't even a thought. Not saying that to judge you, just saying.

A few years back I took my young son along on a bowhunt for elk one evening.
At the end of the night, another guy with us casually mentioned that the patch of bush me and my 8 year old were tramping thru cow calling was where he had just saw the biggest grizz he'd ever seen walk out of. So I guess it winded us and chose to vacate. It could have ended very different.

They walk among us......Carry protection.

Cheers.
John
highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 09-07-2017, 11:13 AM

Glad you and your son or OK.

BW
Old 09-07-2017, 11:15 AM

Glad it turned out ok.

The Grizz are getting more and more aggressive in the hills. Population / pressure is up and will play into the Y2Y guys agenda to increased closures to reduce 'human/wildlife' interaction.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:20 AM

there is a lot around that area
Old 09-07-2017, 11:26 AM

I have been charged by a moose ( my own fault, thinking that only happens in stories) I can only imagine what it must have been like. Glad you and your boy are safe.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 PM

Question I really want to know is did you wish you had your gun or the spray at the time?
Was there time to get the spray off your hip and feel confident it would have helped if she kept coming or do you think your shotgun would have been more useful?
Old 09-07-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Question I really want to know is did you wish you had your gun or the spray at the time?
Was there time to get the spray off your hip and feel confident it would have helped if she kept coming or do you think your shotgun would have been more useful?
I know the question is for the op, but here's my personal experience:

I've been bluff charged by a sow with cubs at two different occasions, both times me and my wife had time to pull out our spray. Both times my wife thought she would die, but I never felt under gunned and still only carry bear spray outside hunting season. My wife still comes with me, so I guess she doesn't worry too much about it.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:57 PM

Good thoughts! I am opposite and have had a few close encounters and bluff charges. Mostly black bear while guiding and once by a Grizz. Never did I wish I had spray ever!
Curious is all from people with real life situations. Everyone has their opinion and I don't know if there is a right or wrong but I find it interesting in each situation what people think afterwords
Old 09-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Banned

It would sure be nice to get through to the ******* beurocrats in this country and be able to carry a handgun. There is no sound reason that at least those involved in outdoors pursuits should not be able to?!
Old 09-07-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
It would sure be nice to get through to the ******* beurocrats in this country and be able to carry a handgun. There is no sound reason that at least those involved in outdoors pursuits should not be able to?!
I agree. I was looking into it to carry one on my trapline and with all the rules and the type of gun that I was allowed to carry it seems it wasn't even worth it. I am not as interested after finding out how things are with this. Sad really especially when I get Grizz right at my cabin all the time and my kids are there at times as well. Plus I am alone most times.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Banned

Hope you bought a lotto ticket that day
Old 09-07-2017, 02:06 PM

Default Trapline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I agree. I was looking into it to carry one on my trapline and with all the rules and the type of gun that I was allowed to carry it seems it wasn't even worth it. I am not as interested after finding out how things are with this. Sad really especially when I get Grizz right at my cabin all the time and my kids are there at times as well. Plus I am alone most times.
I thought you can carry a hand gun if you have a valid trappers licence.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:10 PM

Default Location info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue77 View Post
Just a heads up for those fishing the Clearwater river north of the Clearwater store (trading post). On Monday was walking back to my truck after an amazing day of rainey day fishing with my 9 year old son. From behind me he says dad did you hear that stick break and starts to scream. Spinning around I seen a grizzly charge from the brush. When they say everything goes into slow motion I can say folks , everything slows down to a stand still and your legs and arms suddenly become completely useless. I put my boy behind me and started to scream and waved my arms while whipping my ugly stick like an english broad sword. This later on was a topic of much mirth . She stopped her charge at 20 yards and from behind her 3 cubs stood up and bawled. She spun around and retreated after the cubs which would indicate she was a good mother and just as scared as we were. We stood our ground, lots of yelling and waving and appears to have worked but Im thinking first timers luck perhaps thank God. I was not packing my usual 12ga friend or spray this time as I was fresh from work up north and very excited to be home and in a hurry to hit the river without my usual gear. This was a decision I will regret forever as my son was put in imminent danger due to my poor judgement. Spent Tuesday with the Rocky fish and wildlife at the scene. Appears she has an extensive history there which is interesting as I fish and hunt the river alot and outside of cougar tracks never ever have seen bear tracks or scat as in the soft mud that would be seen sooner or later. So for those that want some wicked fishing which requires alot of walking please come on out but pack your spray or whatever else you choose and stay alert .. for what its worth the spotted black and pink and white Panther Martins are getting slammed hard this year..
Where about at clear water.... do you have a range road or GPS location were you were charged by that Grizz... we going camping that area by cow lake tommorow for the weekend.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:23 PM

Glad you're both okay. That would've been a nightmare having a child along.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
you have to apply for a carry permit for your line only.

To be authorized to carry a handgun or restricted long gun for a lawful occupational purpose, such as trapping or working in a wilderness area, an individual must be a Canadian resident, have a firearms licence with restricted privileges and obtain an Authorization to Carry (ATC) permit from the CFP
Old 09-07-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
Yes you can but a lot of red tape to go through and only certain handguns. Plus you can't have it loaded on a quad. So much for clearing trail while riding a quad and chainsawing my way along in the bush..... Plus you need to do paperwork every year and then every 2 years after. I still might pursue it but when I have some time to get it done. There are a few others I know that are doing it now and will see how it works for them
Old 09-07-2017, 03:52 PM

I've had one to many close calls from blacks and one minor incident with a griz. I will take a gun over spray if I have the choice. Closest call I had nothing but a hard hat. Glad you are ok, the thing I have learn is there is no "rules" to their behaviour. Bears just do what they do when ever and however they want to do it.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by roa View Post
i've had one to many close calls from blacks and one minor incident with a griz. I will take a gun over spray if i have the choice. Closest call i had nothing but a hard hat. Glad you are ok, the thing i have learn is there is no "rules" to their behaviour. Bears just do what they do when ever and however they want to do it.
nailed it!!!!!!!!!

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-07-2017, 04:54 PM

Default Glad yu and your son are O.K.

I've just met black bears, and always while carrying a fly rod, I like a 6 wt. for New Brunswick Black Bears.

I think that you performed admirably.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:23 PM

I know the feeling OP and so glad to hear she turned and ran.

I have been charged by a grizz protecting a kill we didn't know was there, mentioned it in previous threads before. Seen it coming from further out and it ended not as close. We were parked and off the quads, guns in their boot. Just a bluff but the most scariest thing in slow mo I have ever witnessed. Ears were up.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:35 PM

Glad it worked out that would be one heck of a scare. I have three kids 9, 10 and 12. We enjoy fishing, hunting and doing hikes together and always discuss what to do in the event of coming across a bear. When we are in the woods we carry 3 cans of bear spray. Each kid has had the chance to practice using bear spray by discharging expired cans. Something I recommend and there are also good videos on you tube for what to do in the event of coming across a bear. I have come across many bears in my time and want them to know what to do also. Never had a charge but believe the more prepared one is the better.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:09 PM

Question Silly question

First thing i'm glad you and your boy are unhurt
Just wondering were you wearing bells
Wondering if they help or not
Just my $.02 but from what i've seen and read ill take the spray -gun back up lol
Old 09-07-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.K View Post
First thing i'm glad you and your boy are unhurt
Just wondering were you wearing bells
Wondering if they help or not
Just my $.02 but from what i've seen and read ill take the spray -gun back up lol
I just came back from a fishing trip in Montana - as you have seen in the news they are also having a number of bear issues. They are also strongly encouraging people to not wear bear bells. They are finding bears especially curious to the light ringing and may actually attract instead of warning a bear of your presence. Talked to a grizz researcher and she said the number 1 deterrent for a bear of any kind is the human voice - as it sounds like nothing in nature. Her suggestion when in bear country is to talk - either to yourself or someone you are with.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany View Post
I just came back from a fishing trip in Montana - as you have seen in the news they are also having a number of bear issues. They are also strongly encouraging people to not wear bear bells. They are finding bears especially curious to the light ringing and may actually attract instead of warning a bear of your presence. Talked to a grizz researcher and she said the number 1 deterrent for a bear of any kind is the human voice - as it sounds like nothing in nature. Her suggestion when in bear country is to talk - either to yourself or someone you are with.
I once tied a goat bell to my ankle. It was making a heck of a racket. I walked up on a rise and there was a deer sleeping. All the bell did was give me a headache.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:57 PM

Default Bear bells

I think its best if the bears would wear the bells.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:02 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Now you know how it goes down...lessens learned...now back to the well I'd have drawn my spray, while slipping my Shotty off my back in one fluent motion engaging first non lethal than lethal if the bear didn't stand down....oops wait commercial break...gotta empty my shorts...glad it turned out Good as it will get.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...