Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Question BC Turkey huntin

Im curious as to who has gone before?? Im planning on heading west this spring..... Cant wait seven years, and I like the idea of getting the game bird license, wouldnt mind heading back in the fall for quail

Looking for tips on hunting those things. Iv heard you basically have to spot and stalk them in alberta as they dont come into decoys or calls very well, or so iv been told anyways. Would they be close to the same thing in bc?? Im hoping to head out when theres still snow on the ground so a guy can atleast track to see if hes in the right spots. Gonna be a whole new ball game, but really wont mind making it a yearly event....... Depending on how this one goes anyways haha
Old 11-27-2013, 08:01 PM

I went to BC for turkeys a few years ago. Had a fantastic hunt. Birds came to the call like crazy, shot a 21.5 pound gobbler. Located him with the coyote howler and then called him in with a box call. Super exciting hunt.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 PM

Is a hunter host required for turkey ??
Old 11-28-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezner View Post
Is a hunter host required for turkey ??
No, most places even in states do not require a hunter host/guide for game birds!! A south of the border upland hunt is on my to do list in the next season, or the season after.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter99 View Post
I went to BC for turkeys a few years ago. Had a fantastic hunt. Birds came to the call like crazy, shot a 21.5 pound gobbler. Located him with the coyote howler and then called him in with a box call. Super exciting hunt.
Located with a yote howler ?!? wth lol
Old 11-29-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Located with a yote howler ?!? wth lol
If you do a bit of research on hunting turkeys you will find a common technique is to use a predator call to elicit a gobble in order to locate birds. Coyote, owl,and crow calls are likely the most popular. I would not have killed my bird if I didn't have my howler along.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter99 View Post
If you do a bit of research on hunting turkeys you will find a common technique is to use a predator call to elicit a gobble in order to locate birds. Coyote, owl,and crow calls are likely the most popular. I would not have killed my bird if I didn't have my howler along.
Sounds like I have some reading to do Thanks for the tip
Old 11-29-2013, 11:34 AM

Hoping to go again this spring Winger. Went with a fellow AO'er two years ago; made it a combined turkey/trout trip. Didn't tag out, but had a good time nonetheless. Had a beardless gobler at 12 yards.

Was scheduled to go again this past spring, but work and weather conspired against us.

Earlier is likely better as the birds haven't been pressured hard yet. By the end of the season they are pretty spooky!

If you want to touch base in the spring, I would be interested in heading that way again.

Cheers.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:01 PM

Default Sounds like fun

I might be up for a trip that way as well if you would like company. Wouldnt mind filling one of those tags. I do know a guy in creston area who might be able to give some direction.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Where abouts you planning on heading? I live in the east koots and might be able to help you out.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcat View Post
Where abouts you planning on heading? I live in the east koots and might be able to help you out.
Thats my biggest issue! I know basically NO ONE on that side of the rockies. Im working on some guys I work with to get some info as they know people or have family out that way. Im still in the very early stages of planning of course, Only had the idea a few days ago. But for how much itll cost a guy cant really go wrong. Beats waiting for years to pull a tag in alberta
Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 PM

Well fire me a PM if you have any questions. I never really hunted them but have shot a couple when I was driving around bear hunting. Oh yah had about 20 of them walk through my yard the other day.