Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-29-2013, 08:47 PM

Default All right you Cat Killers, need some advice.

I thought it was pretty cool, and still do that I've had cougars on, and around my quarter for the last two years. They have however decimated the ungulate poplulation on my place. I haven't seen an elk in over two years, and the deer are really drying up, and today they've decided they like moose as well.....................So I'm going to try to step in and wack one or two of them is possible.

The question is what is the best way to try and get them on my place. I know dogs work good, but then I need to wait for the season, and I need permission because it's all private land around me. I'd prefer to try and get them on my own land.

I'm open to all ideas from you guys that are drooling over the upcoming Cat Season. Heres some trail cam pics for you, as well as some I took today with my phone.

One last question, I was told you can identify a male by the black tip on the tail. Is this true? I couldn't find anything online to support this.

I've enjoyed all the info I've gotten off here from reading everyones posts. The one that stuck with me was the three lobes on the back of the pad, and you can clearly see them in the one pic.

The clip is from my X-bolt in 300wsm for size reference.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Havent done it myself but bet a predator call would work,nice picts
Old 11-29-2013, 09:05 PM

1st pic was a lone cat, I suspect a male. Next pics are what I believe are momma, with a 1.5-2 yr cub. The last two cat pics are the same one, the cub I believe. I also got a shot a couple years ago with a large cat, and one almost as large travelling together. So I think this female, has successfully raised to kittens to adulthood.

I'm thinking calf elk call.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:31 PM

That should work, maybe have a partner call so the cat is concentrating on him and not noticing you as much
Old 11-29-2013, 10:20 PM

I think your close with the male ID idea, but your looking for a black spot UNDER the tail, not on it. Page 8 in this PDF explains it: http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/cons...et_1-31-11.pdf
Old 11-29-2013, 10:26 PM

Those are some great pics eh? Haha that kitty looks like it wants a portrait. I'm no cat expert but I think the calf elk call would be best as Homesteader mentioned, that's what everyone I know seems to use. Like catnip for them lions