Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If the statistics show a decrease in crime, I have to wonder if it is simply less people reporting crime, or less charges from the prosecutors, because people are realizing that our legal system is so pathetic, that reporting these crimes is just a waste of time and money?
Police reported Crime stats have been increasing the last few years.

2012 was a low point and is still used as the main source for claiming a drop in crime. Since 2012, REPORTED crime has increased. There is quite a bit of discussion as to what caused the crime rates to drop up to 2012, including the simple correlation to the types of crimes included. Perhaps crime did not actually drop, just an effect of the way stats were compiled.

In other words, there continues to be a misconception of what is really going on. It is time for people to stop repeating the false narrative that crime is going down.

This graph from a couple years ago will hopefully re-educate a few. Things got even worse in 2016.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fentanyl and crime.jpg (33.1 KB, 13 views)

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-24-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
How are you managing to argue that the crime rate has simultaneously increased and decreased over the past 30 years?
Could you please point out where I mentioned 30 years in my posts. I mentioned the last three years, and then I commented on the graph when the link was posted. Perhaps you can explain why the long term decrease changed to an increase three years ago. Perhaps you could respond to walking buffalos post as well?

Last edited by elkhunter11; 05-24-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Police reported Crime stats have been increasing the last few years.

2012 was a low point and is still used as the main source for claiming a drop in crime. Since 2012, REPORTED crime has increased. There is quite a bit of discussion as to what caused the crime rates to drop up to 2012, including the simple correlation to the types of crimes included. Perhaps crime did not actually drop, just an effect of the way stats were compiled.
The initial argument was that decreasing morality was not the cause of mass killings because if morality was decreasing we should expect an increase in other crimes as well and saw the opposite from the late 60's to the early 10's.

However, you can't claim that the perceived decrease in crime was an effect of how stats are compiled and then use the same stats to show an increase since 2012.

Quote:
In other words, there continues to be a misconception of what is really going on. It is time for people to stop repeating the false narrative that crime is going down.

This graph from a couple years ago will hopefully re-educate a few. Things got even worse in 2016.....
Perhaps crime did not actually increase, just an effect of the way stats are compiled.

Regardless, crime rates only got brought in to highlight that mass killings don't follow the same patterns as regular crime.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Could you please point out where I mentioned 30 years in my posts. I mentioned the last three years, and then I commented on the graph when the link was posted. Perhaps you can explain why the long term decrease changed to an increase three years ago. Perhaps you could respond to walking buffalos post as well?
You claimed that the long term decrease was due to manipulated stats, then saw no issue using those same stats to point out an increase in the last 3 years. You were dismissing stats when they didn't suit your argument and using the same ones when they did.

I don't know why crime rates have increased the past 5 years. Nor do I know why they decreased steadily. As far as I'm aware nobody knows for sure.

My original point was pointing out that mass killings don't follow the same trend as regular crime (and therefore, decreasing morality is probably not to blame).

Last edited by SlimChance; 05-24-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
You claimed that the long term decrease was due to manipulated stats, then saw no issue using those same stats to point out an increase in the last 3 years. You were dismissing stats when they didn't suit your argument and using the same ones when they did.

I don't know why crime rates have increased the past 5 years. Nor do I know why they decreased steadily. As far as I'm aware nobody knows for sure.

My original point was pointing out that mass killings don't follow the same trend as regular crime (and therefore, decreasing morality is probably not to blame).
What I posted was that there may have been changes in how the stats were categorized and tallied, and that may have happened at any point. But if you do accept the data as provided, then the crime rate has increased over the past few years. And it has been the last few years that society has become more and more tolerant of crime. At this point our government is even allowing admitted ISIS terrorists to return to Canada, that would not have been tolerated even a few years ago.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:34 AM

Default Another school shooting in the States

Apparently there has been another one this morning in Indiana.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8369336.html