Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-07-2009, 10:40 PM

Default heading to lower lake camp ground end of august

I am taking my crestliner 16' fishhawk out to Lower Kananaskis lake on the 20th of August. I have never fished this lake before at all and was wondering if anyone would have some advise. I am taking the kids and would love to have them bring back some trout memories. I have lots of small spinners. is there anything else I should add to the tackle box to help improve our odds (spincast fishing only, no fly fishing)

thanks ahead of time
Old 08-08-2009, 07:31 AM

i fished that lake a couple of dozen times over the years and caught exactly nothing until the last time i went there circa 2003. i tied a bead head brown wooly bugger on my spincast monofilament and drug it around very slowly at the south end of the lake. i caught 9 fish that day 8 big bulls 6 of which were tagged, and one honest to goodness ten pound football of a rainbow. i even had two young grizzlies flipping rocks on the shore a couple of hundred feet away. could have just been "one of those days" but that is my best advice.

tight lines
Old 08-08-2009, 09:01 AM

I've always had better luck from shore at the Upper lake. Small spinners and small black and white Len Thompsons.