Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

Default Canadian Red Cross - Alberta Floods Fund

I'm not in an area effected by the flooding so I am not involved in any clean up efforts. The extent of my contribution has been to make a financial donation towards helping those who have been effected by the flooding. For anyone interested, donating is fast and easy right on your computer at the following website.

http://www.redcross.ca/donate/donate...alberta-floods
Old 06-24-2013, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm not in an area effected by the flooding so I am not involved in any clean up efforts. The extent of my contribution has been to make a financial donation towards helping those who have been effected by the flooding. For anyone interested, donating is fast and easy right on your computer at the following website.

Done and done
Old 06-24-2013, 12:48 AM
Banned

help to those in need is always a gold star in my books

thanks Dave
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 AM
Banned

My wife told me that you can donate right at the cashier in Walmart. I'm sure that many banks are doing the same. I'm not rich by any means but when something like this happens I can always scrape up a little bit to help the cause. Not going out for supper this week is a tiny sacrifice compared what it's going to cost people with flooded homes.

At the most I'll have good karma.......at the least I'll feel good about helping......Win - Win situation IMO!
Old 06-24-2013, 06:39 AM

Default My 9 yr old son surprised me

It's my sons birthday today, and he told me he wants to donate all his presents and money he will get for his birthday for the flood victims. This is one of those times of parenting that make you think you are doing something right in raising them. We are so proud of him for this. We told him that we would also match whatever he gives.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
It's my sons birthday today, and he told me he wants to donate all his presents and money he will get for his birthday for the flood victims. This is one of those times of parenting that make you think you are doing something right in raising them. We are so proud of him for this. We told him that we would also match whatever he gives.
Be proud BigD you are raising a fine boy
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 AM

I think giving to help out is a great thing.

But remember - the Red Cross does not rebuild homes and clean mud out of basements.

The Red Cross needs some money to help organize aid to displaced residents.

I would be careful giving them too much. Remember this? (Your feelings on this issue may be different than mine) but an organization that provides medical aid to Taliban soldiers that are directly responsible for deaths of Canadian men needs to be treated with caution.

To my knowledge there is no requirement that extra money received by the Red Cross is kept here in Alberta to help Albertan families.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...ban/index.html
Old 06-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post

But remember - the Red Cross does not rebuild homes and clean mud out of basements.

I would be careful giving them too much. Remember this? (Your feelings on this issue may be different than mine) but an organization that provides medical aid to Taliban soldiers that are directly responsible for deaths of Canadian men needs to be treated with caution.

To my knowledge there is no requirement that extra money received by the Red Cross is kept here in Alberta to help Albertan families.

HOLY CRAP that turns a good thread to garbage in a hurry
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
HOLY CRAP that turns a good thread to garbage in a hurry
No no no... The Red Cross is a great organization. The problem is they do not play sides.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
No no no... The Red Cross is a great organization. The problem is they do not play sides.
And you think your post will fix that?
all your post will do is stop people from donating money
to an organization that Alberta desperately needs at this time.
CONGRATULATION
Old 06-24-2013, 10:05 AM

IMHO, giving to the Red Cross is always good because there is immediate need for funds to help displaced people. And in the immediate aftermath of a disaster like these floods people want to help right away, so they give. to them all .

I'm not sure if one can designate a cause when giving to the Red Cross, anyone know??? I do know a designated cause can be stated for organizations like the Salvation Army's disaster relief programs (and other church based organizations as well).

But the work of cleaning up and rebuilding is going to take years. The Red Cross won't be there then, they'll be dealing with other disasters, helping in the ways they do best.

From my experience and awareness a lot of the long term work helping out the people who've suffered the most, and won't have insurance or government help to rebuild, will be borne out by volunteer organizations like the Mennonite Central Committee, and World Renew's Disaster Response Services, both of which are excellent in doing the long term restoration and rebuilding work; they are often there still working away when everyone else is long gone. I'm positive that if anyone wants to offer funds and hands on services to help when that phase starts those kinds of organizations will be glad to take it (money and volunteers) .

So I would just ask that we keep in mind the fact that donations of money and volunteer labour specifically for helping rebuild will be needed for a long time yet. I intend to do my giving then.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
IMHO, giving to the Red Cross is always good because there is immediate need for funds to help displaced people. And in the immediate aftermath of a disaster like these floods people want to help right away, so they give. to them all .

I'm not sure if one can designate a cause when giving to the Red Cross, anyone know??? I do know a designated cause can be stated for organizations like the Salvation Army's disaster relief programs (and other church based organizations as well).

But the work of cleaning up and rebuilding is going to take years. The Red Cross won't be there then, they'll be dealing with other disasters, helping in the ways they do best.

From my experience and awareness a lot of the long term work helping out the people who've suffered the most, and won't have insurance or government help to rebuild, will be borne out by volunteer organizations like the Mennonite Central Committee, and World Renew's Disaster Response Services, both of which are excellent in doing the long term restoration and rebuilding work; they are often there still working away when everyone else is long gone. I'm positive that if anyone wants to offer funds and hands on services to help when that phase starts those kinds of organizations will be glad to take it (money and volunteers) .

So I would just ask that we keep in mind the fact that donations of money and volunteer labour specifically for helping rebuild will be needed for a long time yet. I intend to do my giving then.

Well said and there is no reason why you cant wait, but the redcross is the ones heling out NOW and need our help to help our people. There may not be a way to be sure all the money stays in Alberta but i'll take my chances, I'm sure money from other places will get used here as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Banned

The way that I understand it is that donations made to the Red Cross at the link that I provided goes towards helping people in Alberta effected by the floods. That's why it's called the Alberta Floods Fund. I chose donating to it because many people left their homes with little more than the clothes that they were wearing and the Red Cross will make sure that they have the basics in order to survive.

There are numerous charities that people can donate to including the Salvation Army or at any Walmart store right at the cashier for those that want to help out financially.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Banned

One bump and I'll let the thread fade away.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 PM

Yep, the funds in the flood fund stay in Alberta and will designated for flood relief only.

Starbucks Canada donated $100,000.00 over the weekend. Mrs. bigd is in executive management with the company and they have been assured that the cash donated specifically to this cause stays in Alberta.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 PM

My company, ConocoPhillips, donated a million this morning, and many more companies followed suit with million dollar donations.

I applaud my company for such a big donation and being a part of the local community
Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
My company, ConocoPhillips, donated a million this morning, and many more companies followed suit with million dollar donations.

I applaud my company for such a big donation and being a part of the local community
pretty impressive. As someone mentioned in another thread- where are all the donations from the tree hugger types? I have yet to hear of any anti-oil companies making any substantial donations or offers of assistance. Not to say it hasn't happened, just haven't heard of any yet.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
pretty impressive. As someone mentioned in another thread- where are all the donations from the tree hugger types? I have yet to hear of any anti-oil companies making any substantial donations or offers of assistance. Not to say it hasn't happened, just haven't heard of any yet.
3% of their CEO's compensation is not impressive at all really.

Anti-oil companies?

Sounds like a tough business.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
One bump and I'll let the thread fade away.
No one really cares Dave.

Btwn your thread and mine......it really shows the true majority nature of people on here.

Oh well....we tried
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

Now thats cool
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

Anti-oil companies?

3% of anything is a lot when your left with nothing.....
Old 06-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
3% of anything is a lot when your left with nothing.....

Copy that good buddy
Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:

Great... discourage people from helping their neighbours through the Red Cross because the Red Cross might also help someone trhgat they do not like.

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face.

They are a neutral body... always have been.
Its the only way for them to function in the situations they volunteer to go into unarmed.
Ask a vet from the last century if he resents the Red Cross for what they did for both allied and axis soldiers.

Good grief...
Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
And why exactly is that a problem?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:

Done and thank you for posting the link.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdad013 View Post
What a wonderful little man you have!

One of my colleagues knows that they have lost two of his three boys' bedrooms and their playroom (those rooms were in the basement). He has yet to learn whether or not he's lost the main floor of the house.

My little man (almost 4.5 years) isn't offering up anything, yet. I may have to take him down to High River when it is reopened so he can see my colleague's house, and everything his children have lost, for himself. I don't want to take things away from him to give to the other children: I really want him to choose things to give away.

It looks like the Red Cross will be giving out preloaded credit/debit cards to displaced flood victims tomorrow or the next day. It is a great time to donate.

We'll be skipping the Red Cross donation, and we'll be helping my colleague directly: with sweat, building supplies, and helping them to replace items.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post

Anti-oil companies?

Perhaps he meant anti-oil ORGANIZATIONS, and we all know they do great business, robbing the emotionally driven populace of 'donations'

Now I suppose you will tell me the CEO's of Greenpeace and the Sierra Club live like paupers.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Perhaps he meant anti-oil ORGANIZATIONS, and we all know they do great business, robbing the emotionally driven populace of 'donations'

Now I suppose you will tell me the CEO's of Greenpeace and the Sierra Club live like paupers.
i don't see them giving any donations

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 06-25-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
i don't see them giving any donations
They only grab the spotlight when its safe for them; and it doesn't cost them anything.