Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacowboy View Post
I'm almost sorry I started this thread, given all the unfriendly controversy it has raised.

I am not too experienced in the bush, but I am not planning on shooting at every noise or quivering leaf either. My fervent hope is to never have to shoot a bear or other predator, as I am most interested in seeing their populations thrive. I especially want to see the survival and resurgence of the grizzly in Alberta, whatever their actual numbers really are.

We carry pepper spray and would use that as a first line of defence. I know that the risk of a bear attack is very low, especially if you keep a clean camp, are careful of food smells, and so on. On the other hand, I believe that there is a risk, however small it might be. The question a wilderness traveler has to ask himself is whether he is willing to take that risk.

I am willing to take that risk, but I believe in protecting myself and my family. Carrying a suitable firearm seems to me to be only reasonable and prudent, when allowed, if there is a risk of dangerous predators. My wonderful Alberta redneck father taught me to handle firearms properly and safely, and to use reasonable care in all things.

Thanks for all contributions.
Agree
Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertacowboy View Post
I am willing to take that risk, but I believe in protecting myself and my family. Carrying a suitable firearm seems to me to be only reasonable and prudent, when allowed, if there is a risk of dangerous predators. My wonderful Alberta redneck father taught me to handle firearms properly and safely, and to use reasonable care in all things.
I'm responsible for several of things in my life......and MY life is not at the top of the list by any stretch of the imagination. No way is a freakin' critter gonna trump those responsiblilies without an all out scrap.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
for all the irrational fear of bears on this site, i have to wonder how many AO members have ever actually had a problem bear cause enough concern to need to shoot it? i just dont understand the bearanoia.
Check the news please,,,not being a dick, but 2 people mauled badly in BC this fall, one 3 weeks ago and another today. Also I just returned from Tumbler Ridge where my camp was totaly destroyed by 3 grizzlies, while I was away for the day. They tried to get into a new dodge truck and it had no food of any kind in it. Then they tried to get into another truck that had a hunter sleeping in it. Anyone that spends time in grizzly country for any reason is an idiot to do so without a gun, regardless of how cute Dave Suzuki says they are.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:42 PM

I'd agree with the 12g slug or Rossi.

Of course if you want super cheap so you don't have to worry about damage there is always an SKS, then you're ready if the zombies show.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 PM

There are bears and then there are bears.

My father used to go fishing by himself in northern Ontario. One day, he was picking blackberries off a row of bushes. When he reached the end of the row, he came face to face with a black bear that had been working the other side. Obviously, it was aware of my father's presence. My father went one way and the bear went the other.

My wife and I went with him one summer to a lake north of Sault Ste Marie. He had a camper on the back of a pickup and we had a tent. One morning, he had to scare off a black bear cub that was about to paw at our tent while we were inside. We had no food in the tent or clothing that smelled of food. Later that day, we saw the cub try to get into the camper.

A friend of mine used to go on fishing trips in Manitoba. The outfitter would take him an hour by boat to a cabin and leave him for a week. One night, a persistent bear broke into the cabin while my friend was inside. Not having a firearm, he drove it off with a flaming, kerosene soaked broom. The outfitter laughed when my friend told him about the incident. The day after they returned to the outfitter's base, a bear began nosing around the garbage dump. The outiftter promptly shot the bear. It was no longer funny when it happened to him.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 PM

Here....
http://www.tradeexcanada.com/produits/95
Nothing says "please leave me alone" like 9.3x57 Mauser... And starting at $250 they are a good bargain...

Anyone who scoffs at folks who are bearanoid obviously haven't spent a few hours up in a tree with a momma bear nipping at your toes... Yeah it does happen.