Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Default What boat should I get?

Hey guys,
I would like to take advantage of some of the more experienced guys on this forum so I am leaving it up to you guys. I would like to get a new fishing boat around the $30-40,000 mark. I want an aluminum so I can take it into shore, a sturdy dependable 4 stroke motor around 170 horse or above, a boat that will pull skiers and tubers if I have kids along, something easy to control but most of all something that is dependable. I have looked at many brands and they all say they are the best so I want to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
Hey guys,
I would like to take advantage of some of the more experienced guys on this forum so I am leaving it up to you guys. I would like to get a new fishing boat around the $30-40,000 mark. I want an aluminum so I can take it into shore, a sturdy dependable 4 stroke motor around 170 horse or above, a boat that will pull skiers and tubers if I have kids along, something easy to control but most of all something that is dependable. I have looked at many brands and they all say they are the best so I want to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks in advance for your replies.
I just went through all of this when buying my boat this season !
My budget was a bit lower than yours, but I looked at A LOT of boats !

There are TON'S of boats out there to be had. Many will tell you LUND and CRESTLINER and stuff like that, but I honestly wasn't very impressed for the price. IMO, LUND and Crestliner boats are WAY over-priced..

Of all the boats that I looked at and if I was spending close to 40k, I'd look at the 175 or 185 TROPHY series from ALUMACRAFT w/ 150 / 175 Evinrude. A TRUE DUAL hull Aluminum from Bow to Stern (neither LUND or CRESTLINER can say the same...) and has an amazing amount of stability, durability and smooth ride. Check out the link for more information....
http://alumacraft.com/sport-fish-boa...-185-specs.php

Forgot to mention that the EVINRUDE'S also are basically MAINTENANCE free and 'Self-Wintering'. Definitely a HUGE BONUS in comparison to other engines !

Just my .02 cents...

Cheers,

/FC....

Last edited by floppychicken; 08-04-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:28 PM

I have an Alumacraft Trophy 185 and it is a beautiful boat. When I bought it, I was also looking at a Lund Tyee 1750. I went up to a foot longer boat and paid $3000 less by going to Alumacraft. I am not sure how much difference there was in the cost of motors. I have the etec 150 and the lund had a Verado 150.

To be fair, I believe the Lund had about $1000 better electronics and trolling motor, but the Alumacraft came with bow cushions and a fourth seat.

I would recommend Alumacraft to anyone, but I can't do the same for the Etec. My motor has failed twice in two years(fixed on Warranty). I found a website that stresses the importance of hitting the correct RPM at WOT. According to them, even 3-400 RPM off is too much. I ended up raising my motor 1 notch and going down 2" of pitch in my prop. It raised my RPM by 600 and I stayed about the same for top end. I also told the dealer to shove the XD100 setting on my engine. I now run with XD100 on the XD50 setting.

That said, my etec runs very strong and performs well. I know a couple other guys who haven't had problems with theirs. Hopefully I just got a lemon, but it will be a long time before I quit waiting for the "other shoe to drop" on this motor. I have the 7 year warranty, and if it was off today, I would be selling the boat. As it is, I can't see myself keeping it past 2014 when the warranty expires.

Kind of a run on post but I didn't want to recommend something without giving the details.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Default Wow,..Nice Boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredeb View Post
I have an Alumacraft Trophy 185 and it is a beautiful boat. When I bought it, I was also looking at a Lund Tyee 1750. I went up to a foot longer boat and paid $3000 less by going to Alumacraft. I am not sure how much difference there was in the cost of motors. I have the etec 150 and the lund had a Verado 150.

To be fair, I believe the Lund had about $1000 better electronics and trolling motor, but the Alumacraft came with bow cushions and a fourth seat.

I would recommend Alumacraft to anyone, but I can't do the same for the Etec. My motor has failed twice in two years(fixed on Warranty). I found a website that stresses the importance of hitting the correct RPM at WOT. According to them, even 3-400 RPM off is too much. I ended up raising my motor 1 notch and going down 2" of pitch in my prop. It raised my RPM by 600 and I stayed about the same for top end. I also told the dealer to shove the XD100 setting on my engine. I now run with XD100 on the XD50 setting.

That said, my etec runs very strong and performs well. I know a couple other guys who haven't had problems with theirs. Hopefully I just got a lemon, but it will be a long time before I quit waiting for the "other shoe to drop" on this motor. I have the 7 year warranty, and if it was off today, I would be selling the boat. As it is, I can't see myself keeping it past 2014 when the warranty expires.

Kind of a run on post but I didn't want to recommend something without giving the details.

Too bad about the motor. I suppose it happens though... Dunno about the year of your Evinrude, but The VERADO on a boat I was considering was a bloody MONSTER ! What a MASSIVE engine, way bigger than the E-TEC and almost 150lbs heavier too. How quiet is your E-TEC BTW ? Do you find it as quiet as the 4 stroke MERCS and YAMAHA's ?

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 PM

This is one thread I'd like to see a ton of feedback on. I'm am looking to upgrade my boat in the next year, and I'm very curious about Boats, motors, must haves...

I'd be interested to hear about Aluminum hulls (all welded vs. riveted), and about what dealerships to use...and nobody has to warn me about Shipwreck though...I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. POLE!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 PM

If you want power but you want to be able to fish, I would recommend a 1750 Tyee (Lund), that can be equipped with with a 150 hp. Overall amazing boat!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Midas View Post
If you want power but you want to be able to fish, I would recommend a 1750 Tyee (Lund), that can be equipped with with a 150 hp. Overall amazing boat!
Unfortunately,

..You need to be a "KING MIDAS" to afford such a boat !

/FC...
Old 08-06-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmike View Post
This is one thread I'd like to see a ton of feedback on. I'm am looking to upgrade my boat in the next year, and I'm very curious about Boats, motors, must haves...

I'd be interested to hear about Aluminum hulls (all welded vs. riveted), and about what dealerships to use...and nobody has to warn me about Shipwreck though...I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. POLE!!!

All I can say is 'do your homework'.

Once you talk with someone at a DEALER, call the actual 'Manufacturer' and make sure that what you were told is actually TRUE. You would be VERY surprised at how VERY LITTLE many people at a Boat Dealer know about their own product. This is especially true when it comes to WARRANTY.

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 AM

Well I thought I would throw in my somewhat limited knowledge here.

Hey Floppy I think that he could probably find a 1750 Tyee for somewhere around the 30-40 K mark.
Lots of good used boats out there, if you are hooked on new then there will be some limitations.
Myself I would look for a good used unit. Maybe one that has been rigged up from some tourny Pro.
Might be able to come across some unit Fully Rigged @ a good Deal.
I picked up my Crestliner TS 202 from my buddy who had bought it from a Pro. The boat only had 40 hrs when he bought it, and i picked it from him @ 180hrs. I am still very pleased with this boat. 225HP Merc Opti, in my opinion they seem to be better on fuel then the Verado.
Have alreay put on another 140 hrs. no problems. LOTS of FISH!!!!!!!!!

The Welded or Riveted hull will always remain a BATTLE, Each to ther OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spend some time looking, KNOW WHAT you are looking for. And above all do not get pushed into a DEAL!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Banned

It doesn't sound like you're looking for a hard core tournament style fishing boat, so I can't really help you specifically, I just don't know much about them. I think the Lund Tyee or Fisherman models, the Crestliner Sportfish, Alumacraft Trophy series etc... are probably what you're after.

Do your own homework, that really is the key to this, the more you know, the better equipped you are find the right boat at the right price. Look at each boat up close and personal if you can, check the layout, open and close things, sit in the seats, etc... You'll quickly get a feel for the style and layout that you want, as well as the quality of the boats.

Lot's of talk here about the Lunds, Crestliners, etc... being way overpriced. I disagree. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples when you're shopping, and I'm pretty sure you'll find that there's very little difference between these brands and the others when you're comparing similarly equipped boats - outboard HP, electronics, trailer, etc... Especially when you're talking boats in the $30-40,000 price range. The Lunds/Crestliners will be slightly more expensive in most cases, it's up to you to decide if you're willing to pay for that reputation and premium quality. IMHO, it's worth it.

Also, I completely agree with Rigg Dogg, if you've got $30-40,000 to spend, you can put yourself into a SWEET boat, just about anything you want, IF you're willing to buy used.

Waxy
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 AM

dont forget to look in the states some real good deals down there and its easy to bring back to canada and our dollar is good now no sales tax in montana for 30-40k you could buy a new boat there good luck and have fun shopping for your new boat
Old 08-06-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppychicken View Post
Too bad about the motor. I suppose it happens though... Dunno about the year of your Evinrude, but The VERADO on a boat I was considering was a bloody MONSTER ! What a MASSIVE engine, way bigger than the E-TEC and almost 150lbs heavier too. How quiet is your E-TEC BTW ? Do you find it as quiet as the 4 stroke MERCS and YAMAHA's ?

Cheers,

/FC...
My evinrude was a 2007 and is now a 2008 motor on a 2007 leg. I find it very quiet. It is quite easy to carry on a conversation at the high end of the throttle. I don't think it is as quiet as a 4stk at idle, but it is far from loud. For instance, I don't have to look if my water pump is working as I can hear when the water starts circulating out and it hits the water.

As far as the Verado goes, it was much larger than my etec. i am not sure on the weight but my etec weigh 529lbs or something like that. The ironic thing is, I shied away from the Verado because I was worried about the supercharger failing and I ended up having my etec fail.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigg dogg View Post
Well I thought I would throw in my somewhat limited knowledge here.

Hey Floppy I think that he could probably find a 1750 Tyee for somewhere around the 30-40 K mark.
Lots of good used boats out there, if you are hooked on new then there will be some limitations.
Myself I would look for a good used unit. Maybe one that has been rigged up from some tourny Pro.
Might be able to come across some unit Fully Rigged @ a good Deal.
I picked up my Crestliner TS 202 from my buddy who had bought it from a Pro. The boat only had 40 hrs when he bought it, and i picked it from him @ 180hrs. I am still very pleased with this boat. 225HP Merc Opti, in my opinion they seem to be better on fuel then the Verado.
Have alreay put on another 140 hrs. no problems. LOTS of FISH!!!!!!!!!

The Welded or Riveted hull will always remain a BATTLE, Each to ther OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spend some time looking, KNOW WHAT you are looking for. And above all do not get pushed into a DEAL!!!

No TRANSFERABLE warranty on ANY LUND previous to 2006
No TRANSFERABLE warranty on ANY CRESTLINER.... Period.

Never catch me buying a USED boat with no warranty for that kind of money... Not when you can buy the same thing NEW in another brand. Also, you can buy the equivalent boat in the US for far less than you can here. Some of those dealers in MONTANA REALLY need to get rid of their 2007 and 2008's !

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 08-06-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredeb View Post
My evinrude was a 2007 and is now a 2008 motor on a 2007 leg. I find it very quiet. It is quite easy to carry on a conversation at the high end of the throttle. I don't think it is as quiet as a 4stk at idle, but it is far from loud. For instance, I don't have to look if my water pump is working as I can hear when the water starts circulating out and it hits the water.

As far as the Verado goes, it was much larger than my etec. i am not sure on the weight but my etec weigh 529lbs or something like that. The ironic thing is, I shied away from the Verado because I was worried about the supercharger failing and I ended up having my etec fail.

Figures eh ?

Sounds like you probably got a lemon, or a bit of bad luck....

I was talking briefly with a guy who had a brand new 115 e-Tec on an older model Alumacraft (much heavier than mine) and he was saying that it was way more powerful than the 4 stroke Merc he had on the back... We were in the water at the same time and he took off and was on plane and rapidly accelerating in about 3 seconds ! I'm not sure what his top-end was, but he was going a good 10 miles faster than I was with my 115 Optimax ! (I did have a couple more people in the boat however..) I would have loved to trade motors, just to see what the differences in speeds and handling would have been !

Apparently this was only his second time in the water and he had less than 5 hours on it.... I guess there 'really is' NO-BREAK in period for the E-TEC ! Although it was hard to tell, my engine was the ONLY thing I heard when the two boats were running while close together... The E-TEC sounded 'pretty sweet' though, when he shot outta' the hole ! Beautiful motor for sure...

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 08-06-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
No TRANSFERABLE warranty on ANY LUND previous to 2006
No TRANSFERABLE warranty on ANY CRESTLINER.... Period.

Never catch me buying a USED boat with no warranty for that kind of money... Not when you can buy the same thing NEW in another brand. Also, you can buy the equivalent boat in the US for far less than you can here. Some of those dealers in MONTANA REALLY need to get rid of their 2007 and 2008's !

Cheers,

/FC...
I would have no problem shopping south of the border to find a cheaper boat, but I'm wondering if anyone could enlighten me about what it takes to get the boat back in Canada??? ie. Duty's, paperwork, Warranty limitations, etc...

Any kind of feedback on this would be greatly appriciated!!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmike View Post
I would have no problem shopping south of the border to find a cheaper boat, but I'm wondering if anyone could enlighten me about what it takes to get the boat back in Canada??? ie. Duty's, paperwork, Warranty limitations, etc...

Any kind of feedback on this would be greatly appriciated!!
It's quite simple, really... Phone a couple of dealers down in MONTANA as they specialize in these type of things. Once you get your paperwork, you have to get the trailer registered in CANADA. It's REALLY freakin' stupid but that's the way it goes. You have to take it in to a place like CANADIAN TIRE and then pay them around $200.00 to say that the trailers is 'Worthy' of being in CANADA. It's really bizarre and I'm not sure why Transport Canada would make you do such a thing... I've seen utility trailers on the road that make me freakin' cringe !

Anyhow, there's a few threads on here that will take you to the proper sites, but normally a 'GOOD DEALER' will have EVERYTHING you need in order to get it across. Once you find the boat you want, you'll have to make sure to get insurance and have your TITLE if it is a State requiring you to have one....

There's a Dealer in Kalispell that 'specializes' in CANADIAN purchases and can run it through with you... I can't remember the name but they should be very easy to find... They had some AWESOME deals on MIRROCRAFT boats if I remember correctly. Guy's name was "Steve" if I'm not mistaken... I think the place might have been called "Kalispell Marine"...

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 08-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Default if you have the time denver is the answer

The spring sportsmens show in Denver has the best boat deals you can imagine especially in the 25-35 K range and they all know how to sell to Canucks. Great show is just a bonus although there are a lot of Canadian lodges there are also lots of dealers for sports things.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Never catch me buying a USED boat with no warranty for that kind of money... Not when you can buy the same thing NEW in another brand.
Floppy,

Do you have some info to back this up? You seem pretty adamant, and I'm just curious to see if you have any actual numbers, on comparable boats, to support it.

I didn't spend a whole lotta time looking at the the really off name brands, but I find it very hard to believe based on the boat shopping and all the reading I've done that there is that significant a difference in price between Lund/Crestliner and all the other aluminum boat manufacturers.

As for warranty, IMHO, it's overpriced and overrated...

Waxy
Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's quite simple, really... Phone a couple of dealers down in MONTANA as they specialize in these type of things. Once you get your paperwork, you have to get the trailer registered in CANADA. It's REALLY freakin' stupid but that's the way it goes. You have to take it in to a place like CANADIAN TIRE and then pay them around $200.00 to say that the trailers is 'Worthy' of being in CANADA. It's really bizarre and I'm not sure why Transport Canada would make you do such a thing... I've seen utility trailers on the road that make me freakin' cringe !

Anyhow, there's a few threads on here that will take you to the proper sites, but normally a 'GOOD DEALER' will have EVERYTHING you need in order to get it across. Once you find the boat you want, you'll have to make sure to get insurance and have your TITLE if it is a State requiring you to have one....

There's a Dealer in Kalispell that 'specializes' in CANADIAN purchases and can run it through with you... I can't remember the name but they should be very easy to find... They had some AWESOME deals on MIRROCRAFT boats if I remember correctly. Guy's name was "Steve" if I'm not mistaken... I think the place might have been called "Kalispell Marine"...

Cheers,

/FC...
Good info on US dealers for sure, but unless you're buying new, avoid dealers, they just add cost. Your best deal will almost always be private, and the paperwork to import the boat is easy to do yourself.

Getting the boat across the border is a breeze. Do a quick search here, it's covered a lot, especially last year. Basically, all you need is a bill of sale to bring the boat across, well two bills of sale actually. It's easier (but not necessary) to have a b of s for the boat and a separate b of s for the trailer. The trailer is a little trickier, you need to fill in the import form available here www.riv.com , and then have it inspected as floppychicken said. It's merely a formality (cash grab by C-Tire), they look at it for 5 mins, make sure the lights work, and send you on your way. After that, you go to Service Canada, get the boat registered, plate the trailer, get insurance, and you're done. There's no duty on the boat or trailer.

A quick search should get you lots of threads with a ton of info, including some specific links, on finding and buying boats in the USA.

Waxy
Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Figures eh ?

Sounds like you probably got a lemon, or a bit of bad luck....

I was talking briefly with a guy who had a brand new 115 e-Tec on an older model Alumacraft (much heavier than mine) and he was saying that it was way more powerful than the 4 stroke Merc he had on the back... We were in the water at the same time and he took off and was on plane and rapidly accelerating in about 3 seconds ! I'm not sure what his top-end was, but he was going a good 10 miles faster than I was with my 115 Optimax ! (I did have a couple more people in the boat however..) I would have loved to trade motors, just to see what the differences in speeds and handling would have been !

Apparently this was only his second time in the water and he had less than 5 hours on it.... I guess there 'really is' NO-BREAK in period for the E-TEC ! Although it was hard to tell, my engine was the ONLY thing I heard when the two boats were running while close together... The E-TEC sounded 'pretty sweet' though, when he shot outta' the hole ! Beautiful motor for sure...

Cheers,

/FC....
In my experience, the etec sound levels are more like a 4 stk and the performance levels are more like an optimax.

A further comment on the previous post about dealers not knowing their product. As most people on here will know, the internet is a very good resource for information no matter which brand you buy.

I wish I would have done a little more homework on my engine. I'm not sure if it would have helped, but it would not have hurt. I have made considerable changes from the way the dealer had my boat set up.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:29 AM

I've got a 10 foot aluminum with a 69 evinrude 9.9. I suppose I could let it go for 30k Really if how to drop 30-40k on toys is your biggest problem? it's like buying a vehicle go to ford, dodge, and chev. pick the one you like bend over and take it. It's not that hard it's nice to have a little input form other boat owners the problem being everyone's taste's vary who do trust. Just go buy your new boat send us some pics and guys like my self will sit here bit##ing and moaning how much better it is than mine