Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-22-2018, 09:17 PM
Banned

Default Broadhead Design

On another thread we were discussing a new four blade fixed broad head that only has a 1" cut, but with 4 blades actually has a 2" cut but being it is fixed it is more in a circle than a single 2+" long cut which many of the mechanical blades now have.

It appears to me that the broadhead manufacturer has reduced the size of the broadhead so it basically needs no tuning and is less effected by wind (like a mechanical) but in doing so had to substantially reduced the total cut WIDTH, to almost half of that of many mechanicals.

I have read all the arguments about mechanical broadhead failure, which I believe that these days they are very rare but this is not really about that.

I know as does everyone now shot replacement is always the most important factor so no need to really post that over and over and over.

Just wondering what others thoughts are on cutting width. I have always believed that due to the fact there is no real shock factor when shooting an arrow into animal that total cutting width would be the biggest factor when deciding what will inflict the most lethal wound, but maybe I have been wrong..........or is there really enough difference to even worry about?

Last edited by bobalong; 11-22-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:05 PM

Personally I’d rather have a pass through with a 1” cutting diameter than a 2” cut that’s 6 inches deep.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mm rem View Post
Personally I’d rather have a pass through with a 1” cutting diameter than a 2” cut that’s 6 inches deep.
I prefer a hole to a slit as well, I have used 2 blade heads in the past and disliked them (Sonoran, the early version of a Schwacker and the Rocky Mountain Gator) 3 blade or more for me from then on. I also prefer a solid one piece design, I think strength integrity is important in penetration.

LC
Old 11-24-2018, 08:32 PM

Still happy with Grim reapers and spitfires. Best blood trails I’ve seen are from those 2 heads. The new grim reaper pro 3 blade zipped through my spring bear and buried in the ground. It still looks mint.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:32 PM

They work, solid piece 1”x1” makes a nice hole.

LC
Old 11-25-2018, 07:28 PM

Have had no issues my self killing critters with 1" fixed heads in the past. Would not hesitate at all to use them again. I use to shoot the ABC sonics a lot.