Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 PM

Default all-around stopping rifle for canoe trip

Next year my son and I will be making some canoe trips in the wilds not part of parks, and I want to carry a stopping rifle in the Royalex Prospector canoe for camp at night. I'm thinking of a new Model 70, either an Alaskan in .338 WM or a Safari in .375 H&H Magnum. This is not for food but for predator defence, along with bear spray. I haven't fired either round, as I normally shoot a Rem700 BDL in .300 WM, but I love my pre-'64 Model 70 in .30-'06 and am leaning toward the Safari with its 24-inch barrel. I suspect that the recoil would be not much more with the .375 over the .338.

Both are blued/wood rifles, as the Laminated/Stainless Alaskan seems to be a Shot Show special. In the canoe, I plan to keep the rifle oiled and in a waterproof floater case.

I would appreciate all comments, especially those which will help to tell me if my opinions are reasonable or full of BS. I am a canoe newbie as well.

Many thanks, Albertacowboy.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Banned

I do plenty of canoe trips, my gun of choice is a .22 for shooting those damn ravens! Never had any other critters bother me.

Seriously though, canoes can beat up firearms pretty good. Up till this year I hunted with a Stainless/ Laminate .270 on week long wilderness hunts from my canoe, a couple of times the gun got wet enough that the laminate stock swole up. This year I am using a Rem 7600 with a synthetic stock, its not stainless but the gun is so friggin ugly if it happens to rust despite my best efforts I see it as no great loss.

If your bringing a nice gun make it a stainless synthetic or else bring a cheap gun you dont care about. My recomendation would be a 12 gauge defender, keep it well saturated in oil, I once watched my buddies savage go from like new condition to looking like a war relic in 3 days on a canoe hunt where he forgot to bring oil.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:43 PM

With room an issue look at the Ruger Alaskan in 375. 20" bbl and maybe a shade lighter. Very good irons on it for just what your going to do. If you are stuck on the Winchesters I would take the time to find a stainless laminate and shorten the barrel. Either 338 or 375 will be a solid choice. I have not seen what the Win sights look like.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 08-06-2012, 10:58 PM

If it's just for predator protection issues, I'd lean towards an 870 12 guage, with marine finish & slugs.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ne-magnum.aspx

The Mossberg 500 JIC (Just in case....) in marine would be my second choice.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28

It will only be used close up, and it can handle the moisture fairly well, and a lot quicker to rack than work a bolt. Just my own preference. If you're set on the M70, either cartridge you mentioned will get the job done as well.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
If it's just for predator protection issues, I'd lean towards an 870 12 guage, with marine finish & slugs.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ne-magnum.aspx

The Mossberg 500 JIC (Just in case....) in marine would be my second choice.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=28

It will only be used close up, and it can handle the moisture fairly well, and a lot quicker to rack than work a bolt. Just my own preference. If you're set on the M70, either cartridge you mentioned will get the job done as well.
I have to second this.

A nice short-barrelled 12 gauge shotgun /w/ buck and slugs would be a perfect firearm to pack on a canoeing trip.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:32 AM

other than the obvious marlin issues of late, I wouldn't be opposed to a Stainless Marlin in 45/70 or .450marlin. If I could handle the recoil I'd probably go for a 338win mag as I imagine ammo is a bit cheaper and more readibly available.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:32 AM

Smile Listen to Cal

There is no such thing as a dry canoe. The gun will have to be secured to the canoe if you go over, you want everything to be kept together. A floating case may just have it float off when you may need it the most.

My choice would be the 22 then the 870.

Deet is your most important requirement. The 870 can be used on some of those skeeters, #8 shot may be light.