Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-06-2018, 12:19 AM
Banned

Default World Junior Swedish Captain Tossed Medal

So Canada won the Gold at the World Junior hockey tournament this year and Sweden lost the Gold Medal game and won Silver. It was a very disappointing loss for Sweden and after being awarded the Silver Medal, the Captain of the Swedish team took his Medal off and threw it away into the crowd. Someone later recovered his Medal for him from a fan but really? Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on the incident.

Here it is on video:

https://www.thescore.com/wjhc/news/1...dal-into-crowd
Old 01-06-2018, 12:29 AM

Young, dumb, and full of emotion.
It's sad, but at the same time amazing how these young players love the game.

He will learn from this experience.

Did any of us not do something stupid while fuelled with emotion at the age of 18 or 19? I know I sure did, a few lost girl fiends, and got a few fat lips too.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-06-2018, 05:59 AM

Yep, remember loosing in a Jr A Lacrosse championship game when I was 17-18. I think only those that have been there understand. I know it's still not right maybe, but we learn from a life of living and it takes time to teach us that.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:33 AM

Default Silver medal

I played a lot a lot of sports as a kid,on lots of top competition teams and think that such an action is an embarassment! You're there to represent your country not to act like a spoiled brat!! I guess its all a part of this new " Digital" generation!!
Old 01-06-2018, 06:52 AM

Globally we teach that second is not good enough. After some time he will realize that second is not bad in the world. The best thing is he has youth on his side and the memory will fade.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:00 AM
Banned

Spoilt little boys, wouldn't wear a silver, one throws it away. Just get a normal job like the rest of us. That's the best they can act, they will go on to make millions. I think it should be for any sport, you won't wear the metal, you don't get one period. Setting a poor example for the young watchers. It's not like they went to war or anything, just playing a little boys game. Grow up.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:37 AM

They should have let the fan keep the medal. Then in a week or so when emotions settle he would realize what a stupid thing he did. When you wear a 'C' you should know better especially at the level these athletes are at.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-06-2018, 08:37 AM
Banned

When the kids growing up now, where everyone is a winner and there are no losers, reach this age it won’t be a problem.

They will all win gold medals.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:16 AM

What a petulant little turd. I guess it won’t matter though, he’ll be set for life making an obscene amount of money compared to people with class and actual life skills.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
What a petulant little turd. I guess it won’t matter though, he’ll be set for life making an obscene amount of money compared to people with class and actual life skills.
You had the same opportunity every NHL player had to make the big bucks. Can’t blame the players for it, blame the fans for supporting it.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:54 AM

I always feel sympathy for the losing team in gold medal games. This game would have been particularly tough to lose as the teams were closely matched and the winning goal was scored in the last couple of minutes.

After a loss in the Stanley Cup finals it's not uncommon to see grown men crying. To see a teenager crying after losing a gold medal game should not be surprising.

As for throwing the medal into the crowd, no doubt that his emotions got the better of him and he will regret his actions. My understanding is that Swedish officials currently have the medal. It might take years, but hopefully that medal will become a source of pride to that young man, as it should.

Five people at our place watching the game and every one of us felt badly for the kid.

Heck, I even felt bad for this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_o2_7DPisc

And, WAY TO GO CANADA!!!!!! Congratulations on a well deserved win!
Old 01-06-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Not all those world juniors will crack a NHL team. Playing in the NHL and staying in the NHL are both difficult. Majority will never play > 100 games. Top 50 players in the league are the big time money makers.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:58 AM

I'd like that kid on the Oilers. Shows he cares a helluva a lot. He's a teenager for goodness sake.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Top 50 players in the league are the big time money makers.
More than half the NHL players make +2,000,000/yr, the top 50 make +$7,250,000.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/fri...l_salaries.cgi
Old 01-06-2018, 10:34 AM

I competed in some pretty big competitions when I was younger and both of my brothers in Law won and lost with the the Drumheller Miners hockey team .
grew up with top shelf ,world competing coaches as well who went with their teams and individuals to many international wins in silver , gold , and bronze and not in the medals .

That is not how I saw true athletes act and it was not how I was taught to act .
What's the matter , second in the World Cgampionships not good enough ?
Disgraceful .
Cat
Old 01-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'd like that kid on the Oilers. Shows he cares a helluva a lot. He's a teenager for goodness sake.
Being a teenager is no excuse for such an udder display of disrespect for his team mates, his coach, the winning team and the sport in general.
His parents should have their ass kicked from failing to raise him to respect others.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Being a teenager is no excuse for such an udder display of disrespect for his team mates, his coach, the winning team and the sport in general.
His parents should have their ass kicked from failing to raise him to respect others.
I suppose it's fair for you to think my idea is clueless, just as I think yours is. There you go, respectful disagreement in the strongest of ways

Just shows me that in the heat of the moment that kid HATES to lose and cared more than words can express. Certainly what he did was very unwise, but a player who hates losing that much is the guy I want on my team, not the complacent guy who collects $6 million and won't lay a hit or backcheck in the playoffs (i.e. Eberle).

You or I never played anything at that level, so I guess we will never know what beats in that kid's chest... an insatiable drive to win or a petulant spoiled brat. I'm guessing its the former.

Last edited by sns2; 01-06-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
This guy was not happy with the result of his countrymen.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...c/Bsalming.jpg
Old 01-06-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Being an adult is no excuse for not knowing the difference between udder and utter either... We all make mistakes, his was a big one on a global stage I'm sure he is very sorry for it and will count this tournament as one of his best experiences in life.

I for one am glad I didn't have an audience for my mistakes.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I suppose it's fair for you to think my idea is clueless, just as I think yours is. There you go, respectful disagreement in the strongest of ways

Just shows me that in the heat of the moment that kid HATES to lose and cared more than words can express. Certainly what he did was very unwise, but a player who hates losing that much is the guy I want on my team, not the complacent guy who collects $6 million and won't lay a hit or backcheck in the playoffs (i.e. Eberle).

You or I never played anything at that level, so I guess we will never know what beats in that kid's chest... an insatiable drive to win or a petulant spoiled brat. I'm guessing its the former.
So the old saying " no one likes a sore loser" doesn't apply anymore.
Winning is about learning how to loose graciously and with humility.
That is how you grow to be a better person.
Having a greater hate of loosing than the next guy does not make him a more valuable player.
What he learned from it does.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:05 AM

Your a captain and should be a ambassador of your team and country. What would your thoughts been if Crosby tossed his metal over the boards, ..You are there for your country, as the jersey says ....you are only a small name on the back of it

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-06-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
So the old saying " no one likes a sore loser" doesn't apply anymore.
Winning is about learning how to loose graciously and with humility.
That is how you grow to be a better person.
Having a greater hate of loosing than the next guy does not make him a more valuable player.
What he learned from it does.
In pro sports, I want the guy who will win at all costs. As I said, you are as entitled to your opinion as mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Being an adult is no excuse for not knowing the difference between udder and utter either... We all make mistakes, his was a big one on a global stage I'm sure he is very sorry for it and will count this tournament as one of his best experiences in life.

Take a look at how some of our proffesionals act these days.
Some basketball players, soccer and tennis for example .
They may be excellent players but their not good role models and have no respect for their opponents ,
Like I stated earlier, disgraceful attitudes
Cat
Old 01-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post

A spelling mistake is an honest mistake that we all do.
Throwing a medal or pointing out someone's spelling mistake is well,,,
Old 01-06-2018, 11:16 AM

If you guys can't understand an 18 year old kid doing something stupid at the most emotional moment of his life then I think you are forgetting your own kids. I am not condoning it. I clearly said that. But I do understand it.

It is a common complaint on this forum that millennials are snowflakes who are happy to get participation ribbons. Well this kid showed he has some horsepower at 18, and that he was there to win and nothing else would suffice. But now, a bunch of guys want to jump on him and his parents.

Long ago I quit looking at athletes as role models. If you want heroes, look in another direction than sports. Start with law enforcement, military, and the medical field. You will find some there guaranteed.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

He tossed it to a swede fan....no worries he was upset....he will learn from this and move on....we all have done things and hopefully learnt from them so relax eh! Go outside and enjoy the fresh air.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-06-2018, 11:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
If you guys can't understand an 18 year old kid doing something stupid at the most emotional moment of his life then I think you are forgetting your own kids. I am not condoning it. I clearly said that. But I do understand it.

It is a common complaint on this forum that millennials are snowflakes who are happy to get participation ribbons. Well this kid showed he has some horsepower at 18, and that he was there to win and nothing else would suffice. But now, a bunch of guys want to jump on him and his parents.

Long ago I quit looking at athletes as role models. If you want heroes, look in another direction than sports. Start with law enforcement, military, and the medical field. You will find some there guaranteed.
Hmmmm athletes not as role models? How about role models come from all walks of life, some are awesome role models even if they are athletes...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-06-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hmmmm athletes not as role models? How about role models come from all walks of life, some are awesome role models even if they are athletes...
You understand what I am saying. Sure there are some great ones with character to burn, but the reason a pro athlete wears the jersey is talent in a sport.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
So Canada won the Gold at the World Junior hockey tournament this year and Sweden lost the Gold Medal game and won Silver. It was a very disappointing loss for Sweden and after being awarded the Silver Medal, the Captain of the Swedish team took his Medal off and threw it away into the crowd. Someone later recovered his Medal for him from a fan but really? Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on the incident.

Here it is on video:

https://www.thescore.com/wjhc/news/1...dal-into-crowd
Here's the thing. You don't "win" silver, you lose gold. The Swedes lost that game in the final 100 seconds, then only minutes later with emotions still high, they are to expected to receive their loser medals. I'm no elite athlete, I can only imagine what it's like to be minutes away from a potential gold medal, only to have it slip away. Remember, this is many of these kids' Stanley Cup. I'm going to cut Andersson some slack here. Besides, it shows he's a competitor that doesn't accept losing (contrary to some elite NHL players who are content on collecting a paycheck). Was it disrespectful? Sure. Is it acceptable behavior? No. Should this ruin the kid or garner the media attention that it has? Also no. That's the kind of fire and attitude I want on my team if I'm an NHL GM. Just my two cents.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:

They are however used as role models .
My kid never acted that way in sports and if I had acted that way there would have been big repercussions I got home .
Nothing more childish and disgraceful to me than a tantrum like that in a public sports facility . He was representing his country .
One of the reasons I do not watch sports much especially at this level .
It seems these days it is condoned but I never will accept it as appropriate behaviour
With that I am done here .
Cat