Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 12:31 PM
Banned

Default Apparently winter is cold in Canada.

We’ve had what, one week of actual cold this winter?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/ex...cold-1.4471545

Remember when it got cold and stay for months?

When it “warmed” above minus 30 we were relieved.

Now minus 10 is seasonal.

It’s like this is something new.

Fireworks cancelled because it’s cold.
Outdoor hockey games cancelled because it was cold.

My god snowflakes, winter is supposed to be cold, it’s Canadian to be able to withstand those temperatures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3ABD89D6-D7BD-4124-A037-255EB4AB867D.jpeg (74.6 KB, 258 views)
Old 01-04-2018, 12:34 PM

It would be entertaining to see how the people that wrote the article would react if they had to work outdoors at -40 and colder for a few weeks.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:51 PM

Sad that Canadians have become so thin skinned. We need a couple months of -50 just to thin the weakened 'canadian' human herd.

Canadians are idiots when it comes to keeping warm too. If people wore real fur they would enjoy winter.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-04-2018, 03:14 PM

It's all fake news
Old 01-04-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Canadians are idiots when it comes to keeping warm too. If people wore real fur they would enjoy winter.
Haha! I've caught myself thinking along the same lines. Nowadays you pay an arm and a leg for decent fur/wool clothing.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:16 PM

I posted about this on my FB page during the cold snap. I asked why is - 30 now a extreme weather event? When I grew up, -30 was common and it lasted weeks. I remember one year when I was a kid, some guy made t-shirts here in Edmonton about surviving the long cold spell and sold a ton of them.

It was common to be cold and for a while. Now the sky is falling if it's -20 or more. How perceptions of weather have changed.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I asked why is - 30 now a extreme weather event? When I grew up, -30 was common and it lasted weeks.

It was common to be cold and for a while. Now the sky is falling if it's -20 or more. How perceptions of weather have changed.
I agree!
Snow and sub-zero temperatures in Canadian winters! Imagine that!

BTW, when I was a little kid we got sent to school in minus 25 F, and our Moms always said "Bundle up!" and thought no more about it.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I posted about this on my FB page during the cold snap. I asked why is - 30 now a extreme weather event? When I grew up, -30 was common and it lasted weeks. I remember one year when I was a kid, some guy made t-shirts here in Edmonton about surviving the long cold spell and sold a ton of them.

It's because of global warming!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 PM

Now they have to talk about wind chill to make it seem colder. When I was a kid and the weather guy spoke of the temp, he never mentioned wind chill. What a bunch of wimps.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
Now they have to talk about wind chill to make it seem colder. When I was a kid and the weather guy spoke of the temp, he never mentioned wind chill. What a bunch of wimps.

It's like in the summer when they say " extreme thunderstorm alert" in the past we looked out the window and saw it was going to rain so we took a jacket that day.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
It's all fake news
Make that flake news

Ya, I remember when they reported the actual temperature and not the "feels like" temperature. The weather report on the radio was something like "... and the high today will be -25C; exposed skin will freeze in 40 seconds." To paraphrase, "... it's cold out; dress for the weather you bleeping idiot!"

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 PM

Notice, no one is talking about Global Warming, even Texas got snow 23 years with none, but this year yes
Old 01-04-2018, 10:19 PM

I blame a lot of it on the Celsius scale.
0 F is about -18 C
-20 F is about -29 C

I just laugh when they go on and on about -15 C being 'bitterly cold'......
I grew up NW of Edmonton. We would get about 20 nights or so from December to February where it got to -40 F (or colder) and when it 'warmed up' to about -18 F about 3 PM, we really thought it felt a lot better.

As I recall, the winter of 1970-71 or 1971-72, it never got above -20 F for about 15 days......

Back in those days, we heated with propane, and people would shine Tiger Torches on the ends of the tanks, or light fires under them, to generate enough propane to keep the furnace working. Health and Safety was not what it is now!

Here is a really funny link (warning, it's Not Safe for Work) of a guy who called into the CBC Regina radio show and left a voice mail for the hostess (her name was Sheila) after she commented how nice it was going to be, because of milder weather in the winter.
put this in your browser and then scroll down to see where you can start the audio. Be aware of the language warning.
Having spent 5 winters in Saskatoon, I can relate!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ener-1.2840916

Keep warm
Hawkeye
Old 01-05-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I blame a lot of it on the Celsius scale.
0 F is about -18 C
-20 F is about -29 C

I just laugh when they go on and on about -15 C being 'bitterly cold'......
I grew up NW of Edmonton. We would get about 20 nights or so from December to February where it got to -40 F (or colder) and when it 'warmed up' to about -18 F about 3 PM, we really thought it felt a lot better.

As I recall, the winter of 1970-71 or 1971-72, it never got above -20 F for about 15 days......

Back in those days, we heated with propane, and people would shine Tiger Torches on the ends of the tanks, or light fires under them, to generate enough propane to keep the furnace working. Health and Safety was not what it is now!

Here is a really funny link (warning, it's Not Safe for Work) of a guy who called into the CBC Regina radio show and left a voice mail for the hostess (her name was Sheila) after she commented how nice it was going to be, because of milder weather in the winter.
put this in your browser and then scroll down to see where you can start the audio. Be aware of the language warning.
Having spent 5 winters in Saskatoon, I can relate!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ener-1.2840916

Keep warm
Hawkeye
This reminds me of how a buddy of mine in Arizona was laughing how the weatherman was saying "And it's going to really cool off next week, temps only in the 110 range!". Also, holy **** that voicemail was funny.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
It's all fake news
X2
as well as political tyranny
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-05-2018, 06:13 PM

More fake news. CTV Newsnet reporter interviewing a meteorologist on Mt Washington Observatory (in New Hampshire). Reporter saying that a new low of -73C was recorded at the observatory. Lies. Fake News. Not once were the words "feels like" or "wind chill" used.........she reported -73C as if it were true.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:57 AM

The climate change fraudsters will call any kind of weather "Extreme" to further their money-grabbing agenda.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:21 PM

Your wishes may be granted within the next mini ice age. This is Area the thinning needs the greatest cold spell.

https://youtu.be/Si5ZpkIkUuI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Sad that Canadians have become so thin skinned. We need a couple months of -50 just to thin the weakened 'canadian' human herd.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:33 AM

Really laughed on news the other day when guy in Vancouver said he did not like the cold!