Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Sheerness power plant and coal

Any of you guys in the area of sheerness power plant know when they are changing it to burn natural gas and what will happen to the mining of coal? I heard a rumour the coal will still be mined and shipped to China
Old 01-04-2018, 10:30 AM

I really can't answer your question but keep in mind there's metallurgical coal and thermal coal. I would assume the coal still being mined is metallurgical and being shipped to China for steel production.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:26 AM

So they were burning metal type coal for power production
Old 01-04-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K View Post
Any of you guys in the area of sheerness power plant know when they are changing it to burn natural gas and what will happen to the mining of coal? I heard a rumour the coal will still be mined and shipped to China
I'm guessing the rumour you heard, was only just a rumour ... nothing else.

To my knowledge, only metallurgical coal is worth shipping to the coast and then overseas. The coal at Sheerness is the lower grade thermal coal, as is most of the coal in Alberta.

Selkirk
Old 01-05-2018, 08:46 AM

Most of the prairie coal in Alberta is Thermal, most of the foothill/mountain coal is Metallurgical/steel making coal.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 AM

Bunch of the coal powered plants are starting the switch this month. Our plant will be running full bore due to these other plants being down.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 AM

Sheerness coal is low btu crap and not sufficient for coking coal.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I'm guessing the rumour you heard, was only just a rumour ... nothing else.

To my knowledge, only metallurgical coal is worth shipping to the coast and then overseas. The coal at Sheerness is the lower grade thermal coal, as is most of the coal in Alberta.

Selkirk
The seaborne thermal coal market is actually quite hot right now. There's a pile of it moving to Asia and India. Usually, the margins are quite thin on exporting thermal coal, and it stays here.

Unless there is an existing rail line in place, it probably won't move. Even if there was, finding a port to ship out of right now is darn near impossible.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Bunch of the coal powered plants are starting the switch this month. Our plant will be running full bore due to these other plants being down.
Guess we wont be running as much as I thought some of us got laid off today. damn
Old 01-06-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Guess we wont be running as much as I thought some of us got laid off today. damn
Sorry to hear that.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
You at sheerness?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:26 AM

Good starting read. Without China stopping coal use...our destruction of jobs and massively increasing our cost of power is a gigantic waste...if you believe in dangerous man made global warming.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/facts/coal/20071

Coal facts

What is coal?
Coal is a mineral deposit that is rich in carbon content. This carbon is important, as it is what gives the coal the greater majority of its energy content. When coal is burned in the presence of air or oxygen, heat energy is released. This energy can then be converted to other forms of useful energy.

Key facts

Canada’s coal production in 2016 was 61 mega tonnes (Mt)
Canada exported 30 Mt of coal and imported 6 Mt
Alberta and British Columbia produce 85% of Canada’s coal
In 2016, the Government of Canada announced its plan to eliminate the use of traditional coal fired electricity in Canada by 2030
Learn more about coal in Canada

Coal industry

International context

Supply and demand

Trade

Production and use

Coal industry
In 2014, coal made up 28.6% of the world’s energy supply. In Canada, there is an abundance of low-cost, domestic coal across many parts of the nation while other regions have easy access to an international supply.

The Canadian coal industry produces coal for use in metallurgical applications and thermal applications (e.g. electricity generation). Nearly half of coal produced is thermal and half is metallurgical. Some power-generating companies not only use coal for electricity generation but also own coal mines or are involved in coal production. Other companies generate electricity from purchased coal.

International context
Find out how Canada’s coal ranks on an international scale:

World Production World exports World proved reserves
World production* – 7.3 billion tonnes (2016, preliminary)
Rank Country Percentage of Total
1 China 45%
2 United States 10%
3 India 9%
4 Australia 7%
5 Indonesia 6%
12 Canada 1%

Supply and demand
In 2016, Canadian production of coal was 61 mega tonnes (Mt).

37 Mt of coal was used in Canada mostly for electricity generation in Alberta and Saskatchewan and additionally for metallurgical applications.

Trade
Coal imports have been trending down for over a decade, while exports have held steady. The majority of Canada’s coal exports go to Asia, which is still a significant consumer.

Text version
Exports and imports

In 2016, Canada exported 30 mega tonnes (Mt) of coal around the world and imported 6 mega tonnes (Mt) of coal.

Text version
Production and use
10% of electricity in Canada is generated with coal. With the phasing out of coal fired electricity by the Government of Canada, energy produced by coal will be eliminated by 2030. That being said, coal will continue to be used for metallurgical processes.

Text version

Text version
Coal-fired generating capacity by province, 2017

Province Total
coal-generating capacity (MW) Share of total capacity (%)
Alberta 6,457 65.7%
Saskatchewan 1,530 15.6%
Nova Scotia 1,252 12.7%
New Brunswick 490 5%
Manitoba** 105 1.1%
Total 9,834 100%
Note: The government has announced its plan to eliminate the use of traditional coal-fired electricity in Canada by 2030.
** As per provincial regulations, the Brandon coal-fired power plant may be used only in emergency situations.

Sources
Date Modified: 2018-01-04
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-06-2018, 09:34 AM

Default You are remarkably well informed.

I'm impressed.

In addition to what you have just read, Alberta coal is in some places very easy to mine, just strip off the overburden and then drag-line the 25 foot deep seam! Easy-peasy.

Metallurgic coal (anthracite) is very hard and shinny and burns great. Our house in Toronto used to be heated by it. It is much harder to mine.