Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2015, 09:11 AM

Default Why?

Would someone please explain to me how it makes sense to apply in a group for this thing? Why?
Old 01-12-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Owlseye View Post
Would someone please explain to me how it makes sense to apply in a group for this thing? Why?

If you want to hunt with somebody who also wants their own license, and you don't want to go unless they get drawn also, that's the reason. I think that they are just trying to flow the normal draw process but they just couldn't afford to have four person groups.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Owlseye View Post
i want to hunt with someone and no one want's to drag their buts out of bed in the middle of winter unless they can hunt too
Old 01-12-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
The Prairie Dust Motel in Jenner has camper hook ups. Not sure about water in the middle of winter. It's about a 20 minute drive to Ralston.
Dago are you the mayor of Jenner!
I miss that little cowboy bar. I think Patricia has a hotel Bar, Steak Pit. Just west of Jenner. :fightin g0030:
Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 PM

Default Oh boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Dago are you the mayor of Jenner!
I miss that little cowboy bar. I think Patricia has a hotel Bar, Steak Pit. Just west of Jenner. :fightin g0030:
Jenner Bar was awesome. Steak pit at Patricia is okay. Jenner is/was better. Good ol days.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:06 PM

Anyone know what the number of applicants is at right now? Just curious what the odds are at this point. The real interesting thing about this one will be if there are no shows for the hunt. Lots of people applying for very limited number of tags. I think I saw someone say there are over 11000 applicants already with 2 more days left. Even if it stays at that odds are, less than 3%. Sorry if I rained on someone's parade.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 AM

I heard a number yesterday....likely you have a better chance on getting struck by lightning

You can guarantee there will be "no shows" there always is....

Good luck to all who entered.

LC
Old 01-13-2015, 08:15 AM

Yeah, that's what I thought. Not going to stop me from entering though. Read, my freezer isn't full and if I have a chance, however small, to get an elk, count me in.

No shows are one of the most annoying things to me. I get it, sometimes things change but a lot of folks just don't plan it all the way through, ie// time off, cost to get there, place to stay etc... That is what is annoying. Sorry, end rant, I will get off my high horse. Hopefully, hunter turn out will be high and achieve what they are trying to do.

Good luck to everyone that applied.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:20 AM

14420 applicants according to the herald article today.
Crazy. Good luck to all applicants, you will need it now.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batten231 View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought. Not going to stop me from entering though. Read, my freezer isn't full and if I have a chance, however small, to get an elk, count me in.

No shows are one of the most annoying things to me. I get it, sometimes things change but a lot of folks just don't plan it all the way through, ie// time off, cost to get there, place to stay etc... That is what is annoying. Sorry, end rant, I will get off my high horse. Hopefully, hunter turn out will be high and achieve what they are trying to do.

Good luck to everyone that applied.
If I didn't have meat from the fall you bet I would be putting in for that "last chance" at a full freezer! Dad and I talked and we abstained from entering because there are folks who need the meat more than us. Sure it would be great to see the base and take in the experience....but that hunt means more to those who have an empty freezer than it would mean to us.

Sad like you said how many folks don't think things through and get caught up in the "I can enter so why not"....although for some no shows life gets in the way and they can't make it.

LC
Old 01-13-2015, 11:37 AM

I have a empty freezer and would put in even if its a .001 % if the 14,000 + number is correct. Like the lotto, can't win if you don't try. But I am still waiting on a friend to decide before we apply. May be a last day application for me. I am sitting on P13 antlered elk so I would love to see the base prior to any Bull elk draws being opened up. Should make a decision easier if you can see the base and it's layout. Hard to get excited on drawing a lottery cow tag with so many applicants. Good luck to those who have applied.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If I didn't have meat from the fall you bet I would be putting in for that "last chance" at a full freezer! Dad and I talked and we abstained from entering because there are folks who need the meat more than us. Sure it would be great to see the base and take in the experience....but that hunt means more to those who have an empty freezer than it would mean to us.

Sad like you said how many folks don't think things through and get caught up in the "I can enter so why not"....although for some no shows life gets in the way and they can't make it.

LC
Yeah, the wife brought home some meat from the store the other day and the price of beef is gettting higher. Having run out of last year's elk was a sad day. Fingers and toes crossed.

Totally understand the guys that life and work commitments get in the way. Like Sooner said, even if it was a 0.001% chance I am still in the pool.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
Any idea if motorized vehicles will be allowed on the base for this hunt?
Of course not...lol
Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM

How does the helper/ partner part work. do you just bring them along with you?
Or do they have to apply under your name as a partner?
Old 01-13-2015, 02:19 PM

Just can't read this any more.
I know people shouldn't be expected to read 400 replies on this post before asking a question, but...
Good luck in the draw folks.
Looks to be 1 in 4000 odds for our group.

TBark
Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 PM

Default For TBark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis77 View Post
How does the helper/ partner part work. do you just bring them along with you?
Or do they have to apply under your name as a partner?
This stuff is written in english in all the information with regard to hunting at Suffield and hunting in general in Alberta.

1. Know what a partner is in the regs. The Suffield elk tags are specifically not allowed to partner.

2. Know what a helper is. I doubt it's anywhere in the regs and therefore it's an english word that needs no special definition.

Your question really makes no sense to anyone who has read the regs or the rules regarding this hunt where they say "No partner licenses will be available". And if you think anyone else is taking along a helper for you so you don't have to take your own, then you may be under the influence. So unless you take them they will have to get there on their own. Your choice, or theirs.

TBark finds your question exhausting because questions like it have been asked ad nauseum - and it's so easy.

Go to albertarelm and apply. You have perhaps a 1.5% chance of getting drawn. If you have a friend who applies, he too has a 1.5% chance and if you apply with him in your group you have a 1.5% chance of getting drawn. This is not complex if english is your first language.

And if you have not read the regs (apparently many on this thread have not) or the rules regarding this quota hunt, go get them and read them, or don't hunt.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:35 PM

Phshrmn - Well said.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I have a empty freezer and would put in even if its a .001 % if the 14,000 + number is correct. Like the lotto, can't win if you don't try. But I am still waiting on a friend to decide before we apply. May be a last day application for me. I am sitting on P13 antlered elk so I would love to see the base prior to any Bull elk draws being opened up. Should make a decision easier if you can see the base and it's layout. Hard to get excited on drawing a lottery cow tag with so many applicants. Good luck to those who have applied.
0.866% or ~1/115.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:46 PM

Better chance of winning 50/50 at oil game just have to actually sit through the pain of the game for results!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7fulldraw View Post
Better chance of winning 50/50 at oil game just have to actually sit through the pain of the game for results!
I sat through the painful game on Sunday, I was 56 out on the 50/50 man that was close.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
0.866% or ~1/115.

Never was good at math lol, I just applied with a friend from Calgary so add two more hopefuls to the already huge number of applicants.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:27 PM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phshrmn View Post

2. Know what a helper is.
It's a variety of dumb pack animal and source of cheap labor. Some can also drive and glass.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 PM

Default helper

since im camping hope he brings beer
Old 01-15-2015, 06:15 PM

Default Warning

I just want to post a warning to anyone taking kids, or has a weak stomach. I was sent a pic of a fetus,from a cow elk taken legally, outside the base, and all that is missing is the hair. The hooves are even developed ! With the base hunt being another month yet, I would consider gutless method !! I have a strong stomach but if I was to see this as a child I think my thoughts of going hunting may have changed. I was asked not to forward the pic but I'm sure someone will post one in the near future. Just remember, this hunt is to thin the herd.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
I just want to post a warning to anyone taking kids, or has a weak stomach. I was sent a pic of a fetus,from a cow elk taken legally, outside the base, and all that is missing is the hair. The hooves are even developed ! With the base hunt being another month yet, I would consider gutless method !! I have a strong stomach but if I was to see this as a child I think my thoughts of going hunting may have changed. I was asked not to forward the pic but I'm sure someone will post one in the near future. Just remember, this hunt is to thin the herd.
Interesting thoughts. .

I recall seeing wild and farm animal fetuses as a young child and found the sight to be just as interesting as all the organs.

I also recall the kid who asked his mom to write the school so he could skip out on disecting the frog.....

It's all perspective.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-15-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Interesting thoughts. .

I recall seeing wild and farm animal fetuses as a young child and found the sight to be just as interesting as all the organs.

I also recall the kid who asked his mom to write the school so he could skip out on disecting the frog.....

It's all perspective.

Soo what do you do with the fetus?...
Old 01-15-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaleddie View Post
Soo what do you do with the fetus?...
Leave it on the gut pile or ............... take it home and eat it.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-15-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Leave it on the gut pile or ............... take it home and eat it.
If you take it home don't you need a tag?
Old 01-15-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyaleddie View Post
If you take it home don't you need a tag?
I wonder...........is it a elk yet?

Just kidding on taking it home anyhow. hehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 PM

Applied for this hunt because this is what we eat all year long wild game,i'm only one guy seeing how couldn't talk anyone else into entering,so if I get drawn could be quite the chore,so if I get drawn and someone who put in doesn't,would be interested in teaming up,Located in Nanton,AB,good luck to all who entered,cheers Peter,chance of drawing is low I know,but your chance is 0% if you don't enter at all