Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2014, 05:41 PM

Boats are NOT allowed with in 500 yards of river!!

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 12-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Should I bring a ground blind or a tree stand?
Tree stand is best but I heard the rule of no ladders allowed....only screw in tree pegs allowed.

LC
Old 12-22-2014, 07:12 PM

Default February suffield cow elk quota hunt

Since its a military base, can we bring bazookas for long range shots?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419300759.840696.jpg
Old 12-22-2014, 07:27 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonMS View Post
Attachment 100749
No but I heard for a $1000 a day they will rent you one of there tanks.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
No but I heard for a $1000 a day they will rent you one of there tanks.
Pffffft.....want gunship or at least door gunner seat.

Think big man.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:43 AM

So, how many tags do you get if you sign up with a partner?

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!
Good luck with this draw.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonMS View Post
Attachment 100749
I've been on 2 of these already and they actually give you one when you sign in. First 50 hunters get their choice of field artillery, the Howitzers always go first

Tree stands are OK but you have to bring your own tree, there's not many out there.

It's definitely worth doing...lotsa fun
Zeke
Old 12-24-2014, 11:09 AM

This thread may have gone from worse thread to best thread in just a matter of days....

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:49 AM

I'm wondering if there are any wild boar on the base... Will I be able to shoot one without a tag? Will I have to submit the head?

Old 12-24-2014, 12:12 PM

These licences come with two tags, one for the cow and one for the fetus.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Has anyone here eaten meat from a large animal that was in the later stages of pregnancy? Wondering if it would be third rate as the cow is expending much of its energy to growing the fetus(s). The cow may not be eating well further compounding the issue. I could probably handle with some revulsion seeing the fetus kicking in the gut-pile as it freezes to death but freezing my ass-off for what could be little better than dog food has me second-guessing this draw.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Has anyone here eaten meat from a large animal that was in the later stages of pregnancy? Wondering if it would be third rate as the cow is expending much of its energy to growing the fetus(s). The cow may not be eating well further compounding the issue. I could probably handle with some revulsion seeing the fetus kicking in the gut-pile as it freezes to death but freezing my ass-off for what could be little better than dog food has me second-guessing this draw.
No worries there. The meat will be fantastic as usual with proper care.

At this time of the year the fetus will not be very large. Perhaps the size of a kitten. Previous comments on the fetus being 30 pounds in Feb. is simply wrong. You will have look skillfully to find it in the gut pile.

Intrauterine growth is exponential, not linear. A mid term fetus will be approx. 1/10 of the full term size. At this stage the cow will have expended more energy towards placenta growth and maintenance than towards the fetus.

Early spring is when the cows will be under stress to maintain body condition alongside increased energy expenditures for pregnancy maintenance.

Let's not lose sight of the reason for this hunt and the important role that hunters have to play. If hunters want to continue with being recognized as a critical component of wildlife management, we need to do our part and reduce the elk population here.

Military use of these lands preclude earlier seasons. Higher hunting pressure during available dates could likely result in a lower success rate and harvest. We (hunters) have to do what we can when we can in the most efficient way possible.

In other words, put on the boots, suck it up and get to work.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-24-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Simple solution for you and anyone else with "issues" or "reservations" ......
do not apply, shut up, move on.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Has any woman that you know ever lacked the extra reserves while pregnant? I know my wife didn't lean out.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
No worries there. The meat will be fantastic as usual with proper care.

At this time of the year the fetus will not be very large. Perhaps the size of a kitten. Previous comments on the fetus being 30 pounds in Feb. is simply wrong. You will have look skillfully to find it in the gut pile.

Intrauterine growth is exponential, not linear. A mid term fetus will be approx. 1/10 of the full term size. At this stage the cow will have expended more energy towards placenta growth and maintenance than towards the fetus.

Early spring is when the cows will be under stress to maintain body condition alongside increased energy expenditures for pregnancy maintenance.

Let's not lose sight of the reason for this hunt and the important role that hunters have to play. If hunters want to continue with being recognized as a critical component of wildlife management, we need to do our part and reduce the elk population here.

Military use of these lands preclude earlier seasons. Higher hunting pressure during available dates could likely result in a lower success rate and harvest. We (hunters) have to do what we can when we can in the most efficient way possible.

In other words, put on the boots, suck it up and get to work.
Thanx WB
Old 12-24-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Nothing wrong with asking questions. As for you , "LB Na Cl"
Old 12-24-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Seems to of like part of that last comment was uncalled for.

What are you scared of?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Seems to of like part of that last comment was uncalled for.
Having a "wobbly pop" or two tonight my friend ?
Old 12-24-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Having a "wobbly pop" or two tonight my friend ?
Don't really drink anymore, but don't let me stop you from throwing out the cap.

I find it humorous that you would tell another member to "shut up" because he asked a question.
In almost all cases, when one person tries to silence another person, it is out of fear of something.
Just wondering what that is?
Old 12-25-2014, 12:34 AM

LW, lb NaCl means pound salt and merry Christmas to you too.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:05 AM

I heard today from a reliable source the fetus dies within 1 minute of the cow. I'm in.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I heard today from a reliable source the fetus dies within 1 minute of the cow. I'm in.
The fetus stops developing within 1 minute of the cow dying. We are getting to the question of, when is a fetus a living thing.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

I hope the media gets a hold of this an educates all non hunters of this hunt and the slaughter of cows that are 2/3's term pregnant. This hunt will end faster than the G bear hunt. To all that are ok with this give your head a shake because there is lots of other time in a year to do this hunt. What is next an April hunt?

I am a hunter and am 100% ok with hunting but this is not hunting and is not morally acceptable in my opinion and really bad for our sport.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residentguide View Post
I hope the media gets a hold of this an educates all non hunters of this hunt and the slaughter of cows that are 2/3's term pregnant. This hunt will end faster than the G bear hunt. To all that are ok with this give your head a shake because there is lots of other time in a year to do this hunt. What is next an April hunt?

I am a hunter and am 100% ok with hunting but this is not hunting and is not morally acceptable in my opinion and really bad for our sport.
what the hell difference does it make how pregnant the cow is? The vast majority of elk are killed in the post rut. Basically any cow elk shot in october and november is likely pregnant. Is this ok with your narrow minded view? The fact of the matter is this is strictly a population management hunt. Not a "make sure she aint knocked up hunt".
Old 12-28-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:

So then it is acceptable to kill animals, just not the babies? Or is it it because they are expecting mommies? Perhaps if we were to all pitch in and live capture the elk and then run some sort of nuter/spay clinic the anti hunters would then realize that we are just good people who care and because of that they will overlook the fact that we murder the grownup animals?
Old 12-28-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:

This is such misguided logic it is almost laughable - except that it is fervently believed which makes it scary. Mulecrazy has it covered.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
This is such misguided logic it is almost laughable - except that it is fervently believed which makes it scary. Mulecrazy has it covered.
Residentguide's comment is laughable.

And pathetic.

But when considering the source, expected and unsurprising.

Whatcha going to do Justin, call the newspapers and peta?

Old 12-28-2014, 03:00 PM

The fetus is going to be very recognizable... I shot a cow in late January and could deffinaty tell the fetus. It was the size of a back pack and you could see the joints poking out. I know if I get drawn I'll be shooting a great tasting calf.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:37 PM

If drawn, myself and my hunting partner will be picking out some yearlings or calves. I don't see the opportunity as a challenging hunt, but I won't pass up the opportunity to put some nice elk meat in the freezer.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:04 PM

A lot of people cried murder when the 212 cow hunt started. They were saying it was going to be a senseless slaughter, local tv and reporters were out to see the slaughter of all 3 elk that actually got killed. Don't hear a word about it anymore !!