Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Exclusive orbit? Your acting like this stuff is worth a million dollars. It isn’t. But it is good stuff, hardly the most expensive, but of great value. There is a BIG difference between value and cost.
Let it Go!

There are no absolutes
Old 05-20-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Seems some of you prefer a beam scale over electronic, any reason why?
I do have both but don’t consider the electronic to be as consistent...but it is fine for non fussy rifles. If I could have only one, it would be the beam. I noticed in my list I forgot to include the priming tool which is the Lee hand primer.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I do have both but don’t consider the electronic to be as consistent...but it is fine for non fussy rifles. If I could have only one, it would be the beam. I noticed in my list I forgot to include the priming tool which is the Lee hand primer.
This is exactly why I use a beam scale. And just for reference, a beam scale is MUCH cheaper than an electronic scale. This allows some funds for a better trimmer or press. Or whatever you wish.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-20-2018, 09:29 AM

I have loading tool rangeing old Lyman and Herters , from Lee hand tools to Wilson, Widden ,etc .
I much prefer a beam scale- in fact I sold both digital scales long ago.

A digital vernier works great but for true consistent 100% accuracy a scale vernier rules . Most times it is not needed

I throw all my charges unless I am loading fir targets past 500 meters , then I weigh each one.

The only thing s person cannot have enough of in my opinion is Advice and help from knowledgable help and loading manuals .
It takes time to learn how to do things right and how just what matters and what doesn't when it comes to handloading .

A person can get themselves wrapped up in details that actually do not matter while ignoring other details that do!
We are all guilty of that and I myself am no exception !
As far as the kits go, the RCBS is a good choice to start with for sure!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-20-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Let it Go!
I do feel I have some experience here. Experience that some may find helpful. It will likely differ from others and I apologize for that.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 05-20-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I do feel I have some experience here. Experience that some may find helpful. It will likely differ from others and I apologize for that.
Then share it.......

There are no absolutes
Old 05-20-2018, 02:45 PM

I thought I did, but here goes.

I have been reloading for 30 plus years and as with anything you develop preferences or bias towards certain products. This is what I use and why. I have had both the Lee kit (bought when I was a teenager) and the Rock Chucker Kit. I still have bits and pieces of each, but not much is left from either. Now on to the nuts and bolts:

Forster Co-Ax press: A complete luxury, but I got tired of runout and I sold two presses to buy it. It is really nice to work with. I find adjustments to dies are more precise and also more repeatable. And given it's floating shell holder and die holder concentricity is improved.

Redding beam scale: When I bought it 15 or 20 years ago it was relatively inexpensive and I believe it still is. I sold my RCBS scale to buy it, but am not sure it was an upgrade. It is a bit smaller which I like, and both would be as accurate as needed.

RCBS powder measurer: This came with my RCBS kit and works well. I've thought about upgrading, but am not sure an improvement would be seen. For the cost to upgrade I'm not sure it is worth it.

Wilson case trimmer: I have used a few trimmers. Most lathe type trimmers have flex and do not trim as consistently as they should. The Wilson is an exception and can actually be bought relatively cheaply. You don't get the bells and whistles, but they are a luxury not a need. Trimmers that trim off the shoulder datum are also great, but you need consistent shoulders to get consistent trim length. The Lee case length gauges and their associated trimmer are an exceptional value. They are as consistent as anything I have used, but you are relegated to one length (not a big deal, but it is a consideration) unless you modify the stop with a file.

Sinclair concentricity gauge:$120 USD One of those things I'm glad I bought. Not free, but not extremely expensive either. I bought mine on sale and went with a dial and not digital to keep costs down.

Sinclair nut comparator: $20 USD A cheap simple way to keep track of COAL using the ogive.

Sinclair bump gauges: $15 plus $8 USD Not an expensive tool that really opens your eyes to where you are moving your brass. This step can be accomplished with "feel", but sometimes you are out in left field without knowing it.

Sinclair COAL tool: $35 USD A surprisingly simple and inexpensive tool that will also open your eyes to where the lands actually are.

Dial Calliper: Cheaper than a good digital one and kinda bomb proof.

Redding FL busing dies: I like the floating bushing, the ability to control neck tension, and to FL size my cases. I buy the sizing die alone to save cash

Forster seating dies: I like a sleeve when seating bullets. I have found that the seating process wreaks havoc on concentricity. I use the non micromoter dies to save dollars.

Machinist pin gauges: These are cheap, a few dollars each, and I use them to determine neck tension. I have found the conventional methods for this to be unreliable.

Sinclair expander mandrels: I find I need those or expander balls to iron out necks. A non necessity, but I think they are $80 a piece and the die body less than $40

Lee priming tools: I haven't found a priming tool with more value. It works great. I like the originals and wish I had five of them.

Lee "O" press for bullet pulling: A $40 press that works for this one job well.

This is why I think guys should think this through a bit. It would have been cheaper for me to gather these over a bit of time than to replace later.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-20-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I thought I did, but here goes.

I have been reloading for 30 plus years and as with anything you develop preferences or bias towards certain products. This is what I use and why. I have had both the Lee kit (bought when I was a teenager) and the Rock Chucker Kit. I still have bits and pieces of each, but not much is left from either. Now on to the nuts and bolts:

Forster Co-Ax press: A complete luxury, but I got tired of runout and I sold two presses to buy it. It is really nice to work with. I find adjustments to dies are more precise and also more repeatable. And given it's floating shell holder and die holder concentricity is improved.

Redding beam scale: When I bought it 15 or 20 years ago it was relatively inexpensive and I believe it still is. I sold my RCBS scale to buy it, but am not sure it was an upgrade. It is a bit smaller which I like, and both would be as accurate as needed.

RCBS powder measurer: This came with my RCBS kit and works well. I've thought about upgrading, but am not sure an improvement would be seen. For the cost to upgrade I'm not sure it is worth it.

Wilson case trimmer: I have used a few trimmers. Most lathe type trimmers have flex and do not trim as consistently as they should. The Wilson is an exception and can actually be bought relatively cheaply. You don't get the bells and whistles, but they are a luxury not a need. Trimmers that trim off the shoulder datum are also great, but you need consistent shoulders to get consistent trim length. The Lee case length gauges and their associated trimmer are an exceptional value. They are as consistent as anything I have used, but you are relegated to one length (not a big deal, but it is a consideration) unless you modify the stop with a file.

Sinclair concentricity gauge:$120 USD One of those things I'm glad I bought. Not free, but not extremely expensive either. I bought mine on sale and went with a dial and not digital to keep costs down.

Sinclair nut comparator: $20 USD A cheap simple way to keep track of COAL using the ogive.

Sinclair bump gauges: $15 plus $8 USD Not an expensive tool that really opens your eyes to where you are moving your brass. This step can be accomplished with "feel", but sometimes you are out in left field without knowing it.

Sinclair COAL tool: $35 USD A surprisingly simple and inexpensive tool that will also open your eyes to where the lands actually are.

Dial Calliper: Cheaper than a good digital one and kinda bomb proof.

Redding FL busing dies: I like the floating bushing, the ability to control neck tension, and to FL size my cases. I buy the sizing die alone to save cash

Forster seating dies: I like a sleeve when seating bullets. I have found that the seating process wreaks havoc on concentricity. I use the non micromoter dies to save dollars.

Machinist pin gauges: These are cheap, a few dollars each, and I use them to determine neck tension. I have found the conventional methods for this to be unreliable.

Sinclair expander mandrels: I find I need those or expander balls to iron out necks. A non necessity, but I think they are $80 a piece and the die body less than $40

Lee priming tools: I haven't found a priming tool with more value. It works great. I like the originals and wish I had five of them.

Lee "O" press for bullet pulling: A $40 press that works for this one job well.

This is why I think guys should think this through a bit. It would have been cheaper for me to gather these over a bit of time than to replace later.
Completely agree but saying that, I started loading in the late 60s. Some of the tools I use today weren't even inverted back then. Other thing is, till I tried two or three hand priming tools, press mounted tools and bench mounted tools it would have been impossible to pick my favourite. Until I tried all three of the electronic powder dispensers I would not have known that I didn't like any of them and went back to throwing charges with Lyman 55 throwers. Until I tried a number of electronic scales I didn't know they were a pain and ineffective unless you want to measure to .001 of a grain, other than that a beam scale works better. Same is true of presses. My favourite progressive, Dillon 550, is very different than my favourite press for brass forming.

When I started loading there were VERY few guys to learn from. Now we have the benefit of AO, that has lots of well experienced guys on it like you, 260 Rem, Dick, Cat and a raft of others, as well as other internet sites where a guy can learn a great deal before laying down his cash.

Even then, you have to do it for quite a while to eventually learn what make, model and style of tool works best for your specific needs. Even then, often no one tool is enough, I have three different Calipers as well as 4 precision micrometers, depending on what I am doing.

Same as you, I have sold and replaced lots of different pieces but all in, most of them I got a real good chunk of my money back on when I resold them because I stayed away from bottom of the line junk. New guys can benefit from the advice here but I think all that get into reloading seriously will end up buying and selling lots of equipment.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Completely agree but saying that, I started loading in the late 60s. Some of the tools I use today weren't even inverted back then. Other thing is, till I tried two or three hand priming tools, press mounted tools and bench mounted tools it would have been impossible to pick my favourite. Until I tried all three of the electronic powder dispensers I would not have known that I didn't like any of them and went back to throwing charges with Lyman 55 throwers. Until I tried a number of electronic scales I didn't know they were a pain and ineffective unless you want to measure to .001 of a grain, other than that a beam scale works better. Same is true of presses. My favourite progressive, Dillon 550, is very different than my favourite press for brass forming.

When I started loading there were VERY few guys to learn from. Now we have the benefit of AO, that has lots of well experienced guys on it like you, 260 Rem, Dick, Cat and a raft of others, as well as other internet sites where a guy can learn a great deal before laying down his cash.

Even then, you have to do it for quite a while to eventually learn what make, model and style of tool works best for your specific needs. Even then, often no one tool is enough, I have three different Calipers as well as 4 precision micrometers, depending on what I am doing.

Same as you, I have sold and replaced lots of different pieces but all in, most of them I got a real good chunk of my money back on when I resold them because I stayed away from bottom of the line junk. New guys can benefit from the advice here but I think all that get into reloading seriously will end up buying and selling lots of equipment.
This is why it blows my mind when people would rather not listen. I was told, as a result of this thread, that I’m an elitist snob. Well no, I’ve learned the bloody hard way.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-20-2018, 04:50 PM
Banned

Chuck I think that was a good post but for a new reloader like the op is I'm sure the rcbs kit would serve his needs.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:13 PM

The OP is fine with what he has bought. Anyone can use any of the tools mentioned. If someone is interested they may benefit from a couple of ideas.

A note on the press. A $450 press is expensive. But amortized over 25 to 40 years is a pretty small expense.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-20-2018, 07:45 PM

And a correction on mandrel cost. They are $8 not $80. That’s a typo.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-20-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Chuck I think that was a good post but for a new reloader like the op is I'm sure the rcbs kit would serve his needs.
I think you are correct......
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:41 AM

A few asked for specifics on tools

Progressive press Dillon 550 with multiple preset heads

Dedicated seating press for small caliber center fire, Lee mini

Brass Forming press Lyman Crusher

General single load press for sizing and seating - Texan with a Turret top that accepts three sets of dies or any combo of dies and tools

Beam Scale Lyman D7

Trimmer Lyman Universal with Power adaptor and Neck Turning attachment for Lyman

Low Volume primer seating, RCBS hand tool
High Volume Lee hand tool with tray - The old version

Dies Redding, Rcbs, Lee and Hornady. I would use all Redding and a few Lee neck dies if I started over but Redding and Lee weren't available here in the 60s and 70s.

Bullet Remover Hornady collet is by far the best choice, but also still have RCBS collet for a couple of odd sizes.

Powder Thrower - 8 Lyman 55s. 7 pre-set to specific various charges.

Cocentricity Gauge made my self from dial indicator and a vice wedge kit.

Calipers CT Digital, Mitutoyu Dial. Micrometers are Starret and B&S

Dick

You have seen Chuck's recommended list of tools, here is my list after years of buying and selling. What does your lineup look like.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
A few asked for specifics on tools

Progressive press Dillon 550 with multiple preset heads

Dedicated seating press for small caliber center fire, Lee mini

Brass Forming press Lyman Crusher

General single load press for sizing and seating - Texan with a Turret top that accepts three sets of dies or any combo of dies and tools

Beam Scale Lyman D7

Trimmer Lyman Universal with Power adaptor and Neck Turning attachment for Lyman

Low Volume primer seating, RCBS hand tool
High Volume Lee hand tool with tray - The old version

Dies Redding, Rcbs, Lee and Hornady. I would use all Redding and a few Lee neck dies if I started over but Redding and Lee weren't available here in the 60s and 70s.

Bullet Remover Hornady collet is by far the best choice, but also still have RCBS collet for a couple of odd sizes.

Powder Thrower - 8 Lyman 55s. 7 pre-set to specific various charges.

Cocentricity Gauge made my self from dial indicator and a vice wedge kit.

Calipers CT Digital, Mitutoyu Dial. Micrometers are Starret and B&S

Dick

You have seen Chuck's recommended list of tools, here is my list after years of buying and selling. What does your lineup look like.
Dillon 550 for 9mm

RCBS Rockchucker press(rifle and low volume pistol).
RCBS hand prime tool.
RCBS chargemaster dispenser/scale.
RCBS powder dump.
RCBS 505 beam scale.
RCBS powder trickler.
RCBS case prep center(powered) mixed tooling attached. love the 17 degree VLD Lyman chamfering tool.
Forster trimmer/neck turning.
Mix of RCBS, Redding, and Lee conventional, and now my favourite collet dies.
Various calipers(vernier, dial, digital).
A Starret micrometer.
RCBS primer pocket uniformer.
Sinclair flashhole uniformer.

I only turn necks for two cartridges that being my 25/06 and the 280 AI.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 05-21-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:07 PM

At the time I bought my stuff, around 1980ish, I picked up the Rockchucker, a Bonanza accessory kit with, I forget what all together, in it. I remember I went and got an RCBS chamfering tool PDQ, and the primer pocket brush setup, didn't like the Bonanza versions. I bought the 505 scale, a Forster trimmer, a Lyman flash hole uniformer, a Forster dry neck lube/brush kit, Lee spoon kit. Didn't take me long to go get a Lee Hand primer, never have liked using the press for priming and handling individual primers. When I did go get a powder thrower, I picked up the Lyman 55, then a Redding BR30 later on. Always used dial indicator calipers, and a 0-1" mic. Bought an RCBS collet bullet puller pretty early on.
I didn't like the dampening on the 505, picked up a Hornady scale later on, much better dampening.
Used an electronic scale for weighing cast bullets, simpler and quicker to sort with. Finally splurged on a Chargemaster, but, still use the Lee spoons and the beam scale to do a lot of the small batches. Had to go to a Hornady trimmer to use with the 450-400NE, have to use the Rockchucker for that as well, and prime on the press for it. I have a Co-ax press, prefer it to the Rockchucker for almost everything else. I have Hornady and Forster comparator tools, length gauges.
You don't know what works best for you, til you try out some of the others and learn what quirks they have.
I am not a big bughole chaser, most of the standard dies & tools will do the job for as well or as much as most people will shoot. Some folk will chase to the nth degree for competition. All depends on your desire to chase the bughole and what disciplines you may choose to play in. And one way or the other, you are still the nut behind the trigger, the gun, the conditions and your mental discipline will determine far more of the outcome than the ammo will, after a certain point.

Last edited by 32-40win; 05-21-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:15 PM

As far as everyday hunting or range messing around loads go, here is my go to list of the gear that is on my bench everyday.
Match stuff and a couple of rifles are loads using hand tool and no press.
Rockhucker and Lee presses
Lee Autoprime tool
Lee shellholders
Redding beam scale
Harrell and Lyman55 measures
ITC and Starret verniers
Lyman Trimmer
Dies depend on the cartridge
Cat
Old 05-21-2018, 03:30 PM

I started with the rock chucker kit. My main tools I use now are

Rock chucker press
Rcbs hand priming tool
Rcbs trim master ( I have the neckthicness trimmer)
Redding case trimmer
Rcbs case prep center
Lyman gen 5 powder dispenser
Rcbs, hornady,Lee,and Lyman dies
Rcbs precision Mic for each caliber

I also have the powder thrower and scale that came with the kit that I use
As well as a Lee hand press and all the Lee trimmers for each caliber. Hand tools include debur/champfer primer pocket cleaners and uniformed and flash hole debut tools. I have a Frankford scale I use for some things as well as hornady concentricity tool and rcbs case measurement tool. Lymans Sonic and vibratory tumbler for case cleaning. Assottment of calipers and measuring tools as well.

Started off with the kit and added as I went. Still use all of the items that came with the kit depending on what I'm loading
Old 06-03-2018, 09:01 PM

Default Reloading scales

Looking for test weights for reloaders scales,Have two beam and one digital, an 8 gr difference,seems simple as pie, but not so, dead in the water until I can resolve this problem. Going to be reloading barnes bullets for a 6.5 creedmoor.Just want to get it right-------So far have not found anything in Calgary.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Looking for test weights for reloaders scales,Have two beam and one digital, an 8 gr difference,seems simple as pie, but not so, dead in the water until I can resolve this problem. Going to be reloading barnes bullets for a 6.5 creedmoor.Just want to get it right-------So far have not found anything in Calgary.
coyote..

you may have to go through X-Reload.

SKU RCBS-98992
RCBS SCALE CHECK WEIGHTS DELUXE
RCBS

$83.56
Old 06-03-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Take any bullet and use it as a test weight. If you have a match grade bullet all the better. A 165 grain bullet should weigh within .2 of 165 grains. I have scales that are known accurate based on a calibrated test weight. I can weigh a bullet to .01 grains and mail it to you for a test weight if you like.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:25 PM

anybody with a 10-10 RCBS scale has a 250 grain weight hidden in plain view.