Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-26-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
There seems to be a little confusion when using the terms "English" "British" and "American" when describing a Labrador Retriever.

Most would agree that none of the above descriptions are interchangeable but in fact they all are. There is only one breed standard although they differ ever so slightly from country to country. All Labradors should share the exact same ancestry.

In the real world, some of the best "English" Labradors were born and bred in the USA and in fact had never a relative in the UK, some of the best "British" gun dogs have never stepped foot outside of Canada and there are "American" field dogs romping the fields of Europe. It couldn't be any other way because they all come from the same place! You guessed it, Newfoundland and Labrador.

In theory an English is what we would expect to find excelling in a show ring, an American we would expect to find excelling at field trials and a British would be at the heel of a true English gentleman patiently awaiting an afternoon of work under a fine English SxS. In reality most any Labrador is a fine looking individual and will out hunt 90% of hunters, just like most shotguns and rifles will out shoot their owners. We all know those guys buying the latest and greatest golf clubs yet their handicap hasn't changed since they took up the game.

I want a dog to look a certain way. Generally speaking that would suggest English but many Champion English dogs do not appeal to me. I like a dog with a little more leg and less weight over the shoulders than most English. I find the short legged, heavy chested dogs too slow and more prone to injury from the added weight on the front joints.

I want a dog that can hunt. Generally speaking that would suggest an American Field dog but many American dogs do not appeal to me. They are just too hyper and too high maintenance. I get out a lot but I am not retired and some days a 10-15 minute run is all I have time for. Most days off I hunt or fish but some days a sandwich and a nap is a nice idea as well. I would never push the boundaries of what a true "American" field dog is capable and would feel guilty in restricting him.

That leaves only the British right? Most British field dogs are too small for my liking. A British male generally comes in between 50-70 pounds and they look a little too hound dog like for me. I like my females between 60 and 70 pounds and my males to push the breed standard at at least 80 pounds and 90 is even better.

So obviously what I like in a dog is not for everyone. I search out dogs with the characteristics I like. I check carefully that all health issues have been screened for and a health guarantee is offered, I check carefully the pedigree to ensure there is hunt and confirmation in the back ground, I generally only purchase from a repeat breeding and I ask for and follow up on references.

A person should be truly honest with themselves as to what they want in a dog and seek out those characteristics without bias to the "English Show" "British Elite" or "American Field" stigma. Just look at the opinions on the "Upland and Pheasant Shotgun" thread, one size certainly does not fit all when it comes to outdoorsmen.
Any breeder recommendations for a British one?
Old 04-26-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Any breeder recommendations for a British one?
If I were looking for a British I would check out Gunworth Kennels in Sask. My male is from a Champion English male and a female British from Gunworth. I am very happy with him.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:30 PM

Default Labs

Some of the best English Labs you will find at Gwynne, AB
www.eagertrieve.com/labs.html
Old 05-01-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
If I were looking for a British I would check out Gunworth Kennels in Sask. My male is from a Champion English male and a female British from Gunworth. I am very happy with him.
Just wanted to follow up on this as I had already PM'd MK2750. I contacted Gunworth and put a deposit down on a litter due May 12-13th. Pretty excited!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Just wanted to follow up on this as I had already PM'd MK2750. I contacted Gunworth and put a deposit down on a litter due May 12-13th. Pretty excited!
Congrats! I can relate to your excitement. Just got my pup last week and what a bundle of joy.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I'm looking at maybe doing the same due to my pm with mk2750 also lol.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:03 PM

My Lab is from Eagertrieve. She is 2.5 and great personality, love to just be with me and loves hunting birds. Fall pup so not the best swimmer until you encourage her. Great dog!
Old 05-08-2018, 05:58 AM

Sorry for my ignorance, but what does a Fall pup have to do with not being a great swimmer? Eagertrieve dogs are more show style dogs rather than their field cousins, therefore are smaller in stature. Swimming is just harder for them over the field style .
Old 05-08-2018, 09:52 PM

As a fall pup, she played in the snow and ice more and honestly would rather be in the snow. She is a very powerful swimmer, but not as crazy for the water as my friends Lab who was a late winter pup. His Lab can't stay away from the water, mine likes going in up to her chest unless there is something to swim after or out to. My friends will just swim out in the water for the hell of it. His moved his sea anchor to shore last year, apparently the white float looked like his toy and he needed it. They are both Eagertrieve dogs.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but what does a Fall pup have to do with not being a great swimmer? Eagertrieve dogs are more show style dogs rather than their field cousins, therefore are smaller in stature. Swimming is just harder for them over the field style .
English Labs generally have better under coats and are just as capable if not stronger swimmers than their American cousins. The under coat of the English Lab aids in buoyancy and heat retention. The logic of breading for a finer coat in American dogs is to allow the dog to stay cooler when upland hunting. They are generally faster on land.

There is absolutely no relationship between love of water and date of birth.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:02 AM

My pup was born yesterday, pretty exciting!

Sounds like 3 black females, one black male, one chocolate male and one chocolate female. We had requested a black female so have a couple options at least.

The 8 week countdown is on!
Old 05-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Default American...

Mine just hit 8 months...after a rough start due to some tummy illnesses he is doing great...just back from a 3 week road trip where he swam for the first time (everything still frozen when we left!). His first attempt was pretty funny...5 minutes later he had it nailed, I would agree...time of year of birth doesn't seem to affect how they swim...it's in their nature! As far as the American/British thing...mine's American, and he retrieves like a machine...he would retrieve on the beach for as long as I would throw...but hop in the truck and he's out sleeping between my two kids in the back...great "off" switch (even if the car ride is before the running and retrieving!) Really i'm just hoping I can do him and his pedigree justice with my training...fingers crossed and we'll see this fall i guess...cheers!
Old 05-13-2018, 02:25 AM

I’m looking at getting an American Chocolate.

Seems like most breeders aren’t having any chocolate litters until winter. I’ll have to call around.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:20 AM

Makes sense!
Just wasn't sure what was meant by the relationship of a Fall pup and swimming. I would still disagree with your assessment regarding the two style of Labs. My hunting partner and I have one of each, mine is a pure breed English style Lab, while his is a Pure breed American style . Although they both are excellent hunters, there is no doubt as to which lab is bigger , stronger and faster or more Athletic if that is more a suitable term. His Lab will launch itself into the water ., while mine will eagerly go in and retrieve , but takes at least twice the time. My observation is that the shorter stature of the English style does not permit the speed or agility in the water compared to her American Buddy. Not to say that she is not a capable swimmer, just comparing the two , there is a massive difference.

Quote:
English Labs generally have better under coats and are just as capable if not stronger swimmers than their American cousins. The under coat of the English Lab aids in buoyancy and heat retention. The logic of breading for a finer coat in American dogs is to allow the dog to stay cooler when upland hunting. They are generally faster on land.

There is absolutely no relationship between love of water and date of birth.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I’m looking at getting an American Chocolate.

Seems like most breeders aren’t having any chocolate litters until winter. I’ll have to call around.
Try Razor Labs. I have a black coming out of a Black/Chocolate litter end of fall. Great pedigrees.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkataker View Post
Has any one dealt with antler meadow Labs?

Looking to get a chocolate in early 2019/spring 2019. Just browsing and looking for places to go visit. Family/waterfowl dog is what I would be looking for
We picked up a black female in late January from Antler Meadow. Great family dog - especially with our two young girls. The dog has a real natural instinct to fetch and hunt. Beware, it was about a year wait.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Makes sense!
Just wasn't sure what was meant by the relationship of a Fall pup and swimming. I would still disagree with your assessment regarding the two style of Labs. My hunting partner and I have one of each, mine is a pure breed English style Lab, while his is a Pure breed American style . Although they both are excellent hunters, there is no doubt as to which lab is bigger , stronger and faster or more Athletic if that is more a suitable term. His Lab will launch itself into the water ., while mine will eagerly go in and retrieve , but takes at least twice the time. My observation is that the shorter stature of the English style does not permit the speed or agility in the water compared to her American Buddy. Not to say that she is not a capable swimmer, just comparing the two , there is a massive difference.
You can't make an assessment from two dogs. One may very well be genetically superior to the other regardless of which bloodline they come from. Males are bigger and faster than most females if they are well conditioned. Training and nutrition are important factors as with any athlete. There will even be differences in speed and swimming ability within a litter.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
There will even be differences in speed and swimming ability within a litter.
This is a great point and is true about any breeds litter of pups. History has show that one litter of pups can be outstanding dogs and the next litter of the same breeding not so much. Basing ones decision on one breeding is a gamble at best especially if you are looking for certain attributes in a pup. To go even further if you are looking for certain qualities(not physical attributes) in a dog picking a pup is always a gamble.......
Old 05-20-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puphood1 View Post
This is a great point and is true about any breeds litter of pups. History has show that one litter of pups can be outstanding dogs and the next litter of the same breeding not so much. Basing ones decision on one breeding is a gamble at best especially if you are looking for certain attributes in a pup. To go even further if you are looking for certain qualities(not physical attributes) in a dog picking a pup is always a gamble.......
I'd say there are breeders and lines of dogs out there who consistently prove this wrong. Entire litters of well tempered hunting machines do happen. I'd much rather pick a puppy based on solid and tested hunting background/pedigrees than pick a pup from some litter whose Dam and Sire "looked good".
Old 02-23-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
Bought three Labs off these folks and have had serious problems with all three of them.
You had problems with Oak Lane? I ask because I'm looking.