Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
I do have an endless supply of 55gal metal drums from my work. Might be a summer project!
Also look up ugly drum smoker
Old 05-21-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Like gtr said, the owners always say theirs is the best. One could also say the big restaurants would need a 480 volt electric supply to create 225 degrees in a smoker that large for that amount of time. The smoke is easy to make.consistent heat is tougher. BTW most of the large commercial smokers use Uber type controls to keep the heat consistent which essentially makes them controlled exactly the same as a pellet grill. Look at the competitive bbq circuit. There are stick burners but way more pellet but I have no idea if you lump those as electric as they do plug in. Not saying one is better just pointing out a few things
I’ve used a buddy’s pellet smoker quite a bit. They are kinda the best of both worlds. Simple consistent heat and great wood flavour. I wouldn’t really consider them electric since the heat is still made by burning wood. KCBS bbq competitions allow pellet smokers but not electric. Like you say pellet smokers have taken over the competitive bbq world. All the guys winning competitions are using pellets.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 PM

Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker works great. I recommend the cold smoker attachment.It allows for long smoke times and you can use wood sticks . An 8"long 2x2 lasts about 8 hours. The meat probe is great.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:33 AM

I have the propane masterbuilt 30. Works really good actually for what it is. Check out the smoker sticky ive posted a couple pics of results in there.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
I have the propane masterbuilt 30. Works really good actually for what it is. Check out the smoker sticky ive posted a couple pics of results in there.
Will do! Thanks!
Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 PM

I use a charcoal Firefox setup and it's been great
Old 05-22-2018, 08:52 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
I hear ya. Made this one 25 yrs ago. An old 50’s fridge and an old indoor bbq element for heat. An old steel strainer for wood chips. $0 maintenance.

Looper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First smoker I can remember that my uncle in the Yukon had was very similar.... bet it world smoke brookies up nice...it did a great job on salmon
Old 05-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Will do! Thanks!

With that being said I don't use chips, I buy smoking chunks from lowes. Work way better and don't normally catch fire.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:19 AM
Banned

I have the MES 30" - the meat probe went screwy after a year. I also bought the side cold smoker from Amazon for $58. Get that and forget the little chip tray. Its so much better and will give about 3 hrs of smoke without reloading. Of course you can also get a smoke tube and use some pellets for more smoke.
More info
Old 05-04-2019, 09:47 AM

I have the 6 rack Bradley. My biggest complaint is it isn't tall enough. It's a tough squeeze to get more than 15 lbs. of smokies hanging in there which makes for a long day when making a 40 lbs. batch of smokies. I've got 4 large hams curing right now and I don't think they'll all fit in at once. Yeah it's a little tough to get higher temps in the winter. I have mine in a large cabinet (Canadian Tire garage storage type) which helps but maybe some of that foam insulation like Dick uses would help too. We have smoked a turkey on Christmas day. I have heard of a different element that can be bought for it that helps.
Yeah the pucks are a bit pricey, have to look into that build your own thing. The perfect one for me would be about two racks taller, maybe three. I like the convenience of setting it and being able to carry on with my day and not having to babysit the smoker.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
what makes Bradley’s so special? I was in store today and nearly crapped myself when I seen the price they want for pucks.
If yer gunna spend a 120 bux on a brisket. 6 bux for wood should not be the deal breaker