Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-14-2018, 04:59 PM

Default lengthening LOP

Found a really nice subgauge shotgun I have been looking for for a while and 2.5 inch drop at heel is perfect but when I shoulder it I am looking down on rib which to me means it is too short. I am built like a gorilla with long arms and this thing has probably average LOP (dont think it has been cut of just over 14 inches).
Checked my favorite shotgun which I shoot very well and LOP is 15 inches and I can hold my own for hunting birds or waterfowl with several with 14 3/4 LOP (probably due to wearing more clothes in fall and winter)

I would like to add an inch to the butt stock but since it is such nice wood I would like it tastefully done with a black plastic or acetate spacer trimmed to fit flush with the wood. Is there such a product or someone in Calgary area known to do this type of work.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:33 PM

I would start by taping a spacer on the butt of the gun, just to see if that resolves your looking down at the rib. Increasing the LOP will help, but adding 3/4" to 1" LOP may not be enough. If it is enough, then a contrasting wood spacer , or a plastic spacer can be used. If the spacer doesn't resolve the issue, you will be stuck dropping the comb. Gitrdun refinished a SxS shotgun stock for me and did an excellent job. Oddly enough, I find 15" optimum for my English stocked guns, but around 14-1/2" optimum for pistol grip stocks.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:34 AM

Put a slip on Limbsaver on it. You can easily get 1" more LOP like that. If it shoots really good and you want to make it permanent, talk to David Henry. He probably does the best custom wood work of any current Alberta gunsmith. He turns out really beautiful stuff.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:51 AM

I would suggest a Graco adjustable system, you can add all the LOP you need, cant, recoil reduction if you wish. The polished aluminum looks great against fine wood in my opinion.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
I would suggest a Graco adjustable system, you can add all the LOP you need, cant, recoil reduction if you wish. The polished aluminum looks great against fine wood in my opinion.
For a clays gun, I would agree, for a lightweight sub gauge field gun, I would avoid an adjustable butt plate or an adjustable comb.I would first determine if the LOP is the only issue, by adding a spacer, or a slip on recoil pad, and then go with a simple light weight modification, so as not to change the balance of the gun, any more than necessary.