Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2017, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehound View Post
Thermarest is pretty much the best you can buy and I have never had one making those noises you describe, not if inflated properly.
The Neo-Air line makes the crinkly noise. It goes away when you fall asleep though.

Field testing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12WvOBjV0a0
Old 03-19-2017, 06:52 PM

Returning items is made for defects and wrong items. Like if you buy somthing broken or maybe you buy the wrong part and realize it while walking away. Now this chamges store to store but 9/10 times it will not cover items that you bought, opend and decided you dont like. Doesnt matter if its used. Next time ask what the return policy is i do it all the time if im worried a product may not be worth it. It sucks you bought somthing you didnt like but maybe going to another store or getting one they had a model of would of been wiser
Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 PM

I wasn't aware of this policy and agree with the OP that CS was lacking. Even mattress shops return mattresses although they do need to be covered when tried out. They explain this clearly before a mattress leaves the shop.

I had a completely unrelated issue with Cabelas and called the 800 number after the store refused to deal with a problem to my satisfaction. I spoke to a lady in the States (obviously I used the wrong number) with a strong southern accent. She said the Canadian managers needed to better learn customer service and told me exactly how to get the problem looked after. I had gift certificates mailed to me that more than covered the problem and inconvenience.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 PM

Ignorance is no excuse. We al know it is against the law to use only nickels to buy more $5 dollars worth of merchandise, or more than than 25 loonies. Then it is common knowledge that t is illegal to build a snowman taller than 30 inches in Souris P.E.I.. You are suppose to know the 136 items you cannot return to Cabellas, or the 216 items non returnable to Bass Pro:sign01 61:
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM
Banned

Mec.ca

https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/returns-and-guarantee/
Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
While I appreciate your take on this - your take is absolutely WRONG. I never had the intention of taking it home, using it and then returning it. I took it home, opened it, blew it up (with the supplied battery pump) and then we saw that it crinkled and cracked and made as much noise as if it was made of a box of corn flakes. Of course nobody wants "used products". Which is exactly the reason I didn't tear open the box and look at it closely before paying for it - they wouldn't be able to sell it with a torn open box, any more than they could sell it if some smelly, hairy dude slept on it for a week.
The retailer isn't responsible for me being uneducated about a product - but when their sales associate tells me it's a great product and worth shelling out $150 for, I'm going to believe him. Next time you're in a cabelas, look for the public posting of their return policy - it's a big poster above the customer service desk - in huge bold letters it states "90 days return or exchange with receipt etc etc" in smaller letters it states that firearm sales are final - that's it! There's a reminder at the gun counter that firearm and ammunition sales are final. My complaint isn't so much that the policy is what it is - but that the manager had better things to do than even talk with me, and that the policy on mattresses isn't as crystal clear to the customer as the firearms policy.
I didn't post this to play a martyr or play "poor me".
I posted this to vent frustration and hopefully so that at least ONE person can learn from my mistake.

On a totally unrelated topic - I have a beautiful, unused, high quality therm-a-rest air mattress for sale. Any takers? Lol
I agree with your take on it..I'd try one more time to return it via the store manager. IF that doesn't work file a small claims action on them, if they want to have a no return policy like that they should have signage stating as much. Guaranteed they will spend more fighting the small claim action than they would lose taking the air mattress back.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageValleyOutdoors View Post
I agree with pretty much everything that you all had to say - but like I outlined in the post: it really doesn't bother me that their policy is no returns or exchanges on mattress - regardless of the fact that nobody slept on it or blew it up by mouth - I totally get that. What bothers the hell out of me is that there was absolutely NO signage anywhere in the store indicating the policy regarding the bedding (I would have thought there would be a sign on the wall, just like there is by the firearms counter), that there were no demos available to check out the product before buying it, and most especially the complete lack of customer service by the managers to handle the problem... anytime a manager is "too busy" to deal with a customer's issue, that speaks volumes about their attitude and priorities.
Just my 2 cents.
No kidding. It does not matter at all if that is there policy. It is not up to you as the customer to know the policy of the store before a purchase. They NEED to notify you when making the purchase. At that time that you were made aware(not in this case) then you had the option to either buy it or take it out and look at it. **** Poor Service and attitude and support from the members of this board putting it back on you as you should have known! BS!

They make more than enough money to put a sign in the store, train there staff and notify you that it is a final purchase at the till. Anything else is just hogwash!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:40 PM

Poke a hole in it and take it back as a defective product.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
My take on this is ,
the OP had every intention of taking it home , trying it and returning ... I don't want used products .. the fact he knew this , is every reason for him to ask before and not cause all this fuss .. these sort of consumers along with theft cost billions of dollars to the rest of us .. not pointing at you OP but take some responsibility .... you still have the mattress right ?
And why should the OP not have this opportunity with the way the sale was made. He bought something knowing that they have a 90 day return policy. Lets say the OP looked at the back of his receipt immediately on purchase and found that there was no information on the back regarding his purchase. He then goes home and "demo's" it for 2 minutes and finds out it is garbage. Is it still his fault that he does not know their policy?

And since when is it a customers need to ask a stores policy on items?

Your attitude is a great example of blaming the end user for the retailer being lazy and taking advantage of customers! They have a returns policy. This item was not mentioned in the returns policy. Therefore they have to accept it!

They do have a sign that says no returns on ammo. They do have a sign saying no returns on underwear.

What the heck is the difference!

Attitudes like this OP keeps retailers in line! Im not worried about the billions. Im worried about getting a fair shake. If I am buying something like underwear that has a no returns policy on it I will buy ONE! and try it out! Then if it works I will buy more. Im not trying to screw the store in any way. I am trying to protect my hard earned dollar!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 PM

Why don't you tell us what kind it is. Maybe someone here will buy it off you?
I mean, you'd prolly have to lower the price since its used, though.

Were you going to bring the battery air pump hiking with you? A battery on an air mattress seems like glamping to me. Too heavy for backpacking. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

On a different note, ear plugs cost about $0.75 a pair, and I never camp without them. Never know when you will end up near a snorer or an all night wedding party (really).
Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I agree with your take on it..I'd try one more time to return it via the store manager. IF that doesn't work file a small claims action on them, if they want to have a no return policy like that they should have signage stating as much. Guaranteed they will spend more fighting the small claim action than they would lose taking the air mattress back.
Retail stores in Canada have no "legal" requirement to exchange anything or offer any refund. Most people don't know this.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
Retail stores in Canada have no "legal" requirement to exchange anything or offer any refund. Most people don't know this.
They do when they have a return policy prominently displayed that says 90 days return or exchange. It's called a 'promise', they made the 'promise' and are not following through with it.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 PM

No, actually they do not. They can tell u to pound sand legally....
Old 03-19-2017, 09:16 PM

Since when do we have to read store policies before making a simple purchase? To recommend doing so is wrong! Store policy is written ALL over the store "returns welcome within 90 days of purchase", and you have a receipt, that does NOT. Indicate their no return policy! Paperwork is your trump, and in this case their store signs and your receipt is your trump!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:27 PM

All I'm saying is all the signage, paperwork, and receipts are useless if they (the store) simply says, "sorry, we're not going to take that product back and give u a refund"
You can argue all you want, the police will be called and tell you the same thing before you are asked to leave. Stores however do not want the negative publicity of having disgruntled customers and usually go to great lengths to avoid stressful or confrontational situations....

Best bet is to shop at Costco lol, as mentioned they will take anything back!!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 PM

Sorry camshaft that wasn't aimed towards you! It was just a general statement!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:50 PM

If it falls into this section of items it looks pretty clear on what they will not return:
Final Sale items that cannot be returned include:
  • Ammunition, gun powder, primers or reloading components
  • Arrows (once cut to length)
  • Bear or dog spray
  • Books
  • Food processing equipment
  • Footwear insoles
  • Gift Cards
  • Sleeping bags and mattresses (including mattress pads)
  • Pre-owned firearms purchased from a retail store
  • Special Orders (including personalized items)
  • Tree stands and ladder stands
  • Underwear, lingerie, swimsuits and base layers
  • Retail-location Bargain Cave items (exception: Bargain Cave items purchased on Cabelas.ca follow general return guidelines).
Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
No, actually they do not. They can tell u to pound sand legally....
Can you please post the backup information to this statement. I find it very interesting to say the least!

I found this online. Not sure how official it is though!

Shopping Information

In Canada, we have laws and guidelines to make sure consumers are treated fairly. These can differ slightly depending on where you live.

Shopping logo
BEING INFORMED MEANS BETTER PROTECTION

Newcomers to Canada have the same protections and responsibilities as all Canadians.

Knowing about this will help you to make better choices when it comes to buying goods and services.

In Canada, you should expect to:

get the product or service you have chosen at the time it was promised to you;
pay only for the products or services you have agreed to buy;
have retailers and manufacturers honour their warranties or guarantees;
get a full and honest explanation about all costs and credit terms;
be protected against products or services that are hazardous to your health;
be given all the facts and information that you need to choose the product or service that is best for you;
be entitled to return or exchange products if there is a product exchange or return policy;
get money back or a fair settlement if the products or services are not the ones ordered, are faulty, damaged or not fit for the usual intended purpose;
be able to complain to the merchant or supplier if you are not satisfied with a product or service;
have your privacy respected and protected;
express your views about consumer issues through government organizations or your elected representative;
be able to complain to public agencies.

And this

Can I bring products back to the store?

Businesses do not always have a legal obligation to accept an item you want to return just because you have changed your mind about it. Businesses don’t have to give a refund or exchange on products unless it is written in their return policy. Return policies are often posted somewhere near the checkout.

If you want to return an item because it is broken, or does not work as you expected it to, the store may be obliged to offer a replacement for the item or repair it. Or, the store may simply return your money. If a manufacturer’s warranty came with the item, the store may refer you to that warranty and suggest you contact the manufacturer directly.

If you are having problems with an exchange or refund, or feel as if the seller is not respecting its policy, contact your provincial or territorial consumer affairs office for help.

It seems that if the store has a RETURN POLICY then that policy becomes part of the sales agreement. If you go to return a product that falls within that RETURN POLICY and they refuse then they are violating the sales agreement and are then in violation of their RETURN POLICY and would be at the mercy of whatever governing body decides in that situation.

To the OP

Contact

Service Alberta, Consumer Contact Centre
3rd Floor Commerce Place
10155-102 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4G8
Telephone: 780-427-4088
Toll Free: 1-877-427-4088
Email: service.alberta@gov.ab.ca
Old 03-19-2017, 10:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Meh

Pick and choose your battles and where you spend your money.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-19-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
If it falls into this section of items it looks pretty clear on what they will not return:
Final Sale items that cannot be returned include:
  • Ammunition, gun powder, primers or reloading components
  • Arrows (once cut to length)
  • Bear or dog spray
  • Books
  • Food processing equipment
  • Footwear insoles
  • Gift Cards
  • Sleeping bags and mattresses (including mattress pads)
  • Pre-owned firearms purchased from a retail store
  • Special Orders (including personalized items)
  • Tree stands and ladder stands
  • Underwear, lingerie, swimsuits and base layers
  • Retail-location Bargain Cave items (exception: Bargain Cave items purchased on Cabelas.ca follow general return guidelines).
Well that's open and shut as long as they either have that listed in the store in a open and view able place OR they have it on the back of the receipt! If this is from the internet then the sign in the store or the information on the back of the receipt trumps it and then the OP is correct!
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Pick and choose your battles and where you spend your money.
THIS^^

I'm not going to make a big deal of this, just chalk it up as a $150 lesson and call it a day. My point was never to get a big debate/argument going about this - in fact the title sums up my thoughts on it entirely - I'll just be spending my $ at Bass Pro, or MEC, or even amazon.
It was simply a little online rant, and as I said before - hoping someone else can learn from this, and make clear the return policy on something before you take the store associate's word on its quality. That's it.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:10 AM

Yup, had this exact scenario happen with a neoair mattress I purchased at MEC and returned it - no questions asked!! Went with a Big Agnes Mattress instead, much happier!! 👍👍

-Confucius
Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Poke a hole in it and take it back as a defective product.
bingo
Old 03-20-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Whilst I agree that they should have had a demo...it doesn't matter where you to...Cabelas, Wholesale, Sears, Homesense...nobody takes back bedding, it's common knowledge.
Recently moved my mother into a seniors facility. Had to buy new bed and bedding even though hers was only a year or two old.
Blame the bedbug problem that has arrived in our country along with our new immigrants.
Well, there's a load of crap.

Mattress Mattress will exchange any bed used with a cover.
Both Ikea and Costco will exchange or refund any mattress for ANY reason up to 45 days.
Know what the latter 2 do with them when you return them? They throw them in the garbage.
They stand behind their products enough, and feel that they offer enough chance for 'education' that it's a fair risk. Costco also sells sleeping pads. I see their stock is going up also.
OP, thanks for the head's up. I for one would have thought since neither the poorly trained staff member,
nor the poorly trained cashier explained anything to you other than tell you what to buy, they should be happy to return your product at THEIR learning expense, not yours. The fact that a manager was 'too busy' to address your concerns speaks volumes of the training at that store.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 AM

personally if i was the manager since i didn't have one on display i would of taken it back and put it on display and put a sign up for future customers.i kept a customer and their should of been one on display.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
All I'm saying is all the signage, paperwork, and receipts are useless if they (the store) simply says, "sorry, we're not going to take that product back and give u a refund"
You can argue all you want, the police will be called and tell you the same thing before you are asked to leave. Stores however do not want the negative publicity of having disgruntled customers and usually go to great lengths to avoid stressful or confrontational situations....

Best bet is to shop at Costco lol, as mentioned they will take anything back!!
You are correct that a vendor is not required to have a policy of accepting returns but once one is posted, you are COMPLETELY wrong in your statement above. A posted return policy, and written warranties are a contract and must be honoured. The vendor cannot just arbitrarily change the terms of his return policy.

To the Op, call Cabela's complaint line. They will clear it up. Once it is, learn your lesson and deal somewhere more interested in keeping you happy, preferably Canadian owned.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You are correct that a vendor is not required to have a policy of accepting returns but once one is posted, you are COMPLETELY wrong in your statement above. A posted return policy, and written warranties are a contract and must be honoured. The vendor cannot just arbitrarily change the terms of his return policy.

To the Op, call Cabela's complaint line. They will clear it up. Once it is, learn your lesson and deal somewhere more interested in keeping you happy, preferably Canadian owned.
That's not what I'm saying....I'm only stating in black and white terms that there is no "law" requiring a business to do anything. Are there other options and recourse, absolutely (store mgr, regional mgr, head office, media etc) But regardless, if the store says no, who do u think ur gunna call at that time to force the store to issue u a refund or take the product back?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 AM
Banned

Default The Onus has to be on the consumer

Buyer beware!

not knowing a stores policy can not be an excuse in 2017,

not when everyone is walking around with a portable computer in their pocket.

not when the majority of stores have their policy's posted on their websites.

should the employee that recommended the mattress been able to mention that they are not returnable ,
perhaps,
But perhaps the guy forgot.

so many threads about
"I'm never going there again"

Policy's and rules exist not only for the consumer, but for the retailer as well.

We go looking for customer service and are disappointed when we don't get it.
Understandable.

but many of these people working in these jobs are working for minimum wage.
they are the faces of a corporation and take all the abuse.

It's not their fault , those that put on a shirt and smile and great you in these big box stores.

most will help you the way you want,
but many are just making it through the day on a meager income,
in a place that may not treat their employee's all that great,
with managers focused on where they go next,
in a revolving door industry.

who grows up and says I want to go work at Cabela's?

when we have many big box stores,
that have choked out the mom and pop stores where you could expect the kind of service we all want,
in this consumer world the onus has to be on the consumer, to spend some time at a keyboard and research what the item they want is, and then quickly scroll through company's return policy.
and if you don't find the answer then call the customer service line.

Buyer Beware!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 AM

I wonder if its a Canadian store policy. A couple years ago I bought one of those pads for a cot at Cabelas in Montana and my son tried it for a few nights and didn't think it was thick/comfortable enough. Told them this and returned it no questions asked.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 AM

Sage Valley, I do think you have a valid point. They should have taken it back. IF there is a gray area, a store that cares about customer service will always take it back, even if they have to throw it away afterwards. And I don't even think there is a gray area here. The store has a return policy. Absent specific exclusions that are pointed out to buyers in advance of the purchase, that general return policy applies.

That said, I don't care if there is a demo display or not. I would have opened the package and checked it out before I took it to the checkout. I never buy a box of something I have never seen. I'll cut that box of decoys, for example, open and look at them, put one together, etc.

Get as much gear as you can from MEC. Guaranteed they would have taken it back.