Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2017, 01:18 PM

Default That's the last time I buy anything at Cabela's Calgary

Planning on taking my 14 year old son on his first backpack hunt in the mountains this fall, and we're acquiring the gear he's going to need. I had half a day off last week, so stopped at cabelas to kill some time, and look at their trekking poles, insulated mattress pads, and packs. They had a good selection of cabelas brand and therm-a-rest air mattresses, but only a few demo models hanging for me to look at.
The camping sales associate came over and told me great things about a particular therm a rest mattress, but since they didn't have a demo model for me to look at, I had to take him at his word that it was what I was looking for.
So I bought it ($150) and took it home. Took it out to check it out, it came with a little battery air pump, so I tried it all out. Inflated it with the pump, and had conner lay on it in the living room. It was a little small, but that was no big deal. It was VERY loud and crackly - Conner told me he likely wouldn't be able to sleep with how loud it was, and I agreed. We decided we'd return it and get a larger, quieter one this weekend.
So we went there this morning, and I explained that I wanted to exchange/return it. The customer "service" associate told me they can't return air mattresses for hygienic reasons - people sleeping on them, or using their mouths to blow them up. I told her "I get that - but nobody had slept on it, and we used the included air pump to blow it up. Besides, where does it say that we can't return it?"
She looked at the back of the reciept, said "hmmmm... it should say something here... hmmmm... it doesn't... but that's our policy."
By this point, I was starting to get annoyed. So I said "wait a sec - let's pretend that right on the back of the receipt it said 'no returns on air mattresses'. Do you think that would be adaquetly informing the customer BEFORE we buy it?? We don't get the receipt until AFTER it's been paid for. So what good would that do??"
"I can go ask a manager, if you like?"
I said "yes, I'd like to speak to a manager. I understand the policy, but if I had known about it before, I would not have bought it."
So she went to the back. Was gone a few minutes and said "I'm sorry, the manager is busy and can't come see you, and said that we couldn't return it. He's asked a camping associate to come talk to you instead"
"What? What good is an associate going to do? Is there a sign on the wall saying 'mattress sales final'?"
I went and looked. There was no signage indicating ANYTHING about returns or exchanges. The ONLY signs visible anywhere said "within 90 days we will be happy to exchange or refund purchase price with receipt etc. etc. etc"
I fully understand the logic behind WHY that would be their policy - if someone had blown it up by mouth, or someone slept on it before I bought it, I wouldn't want it. For hygiene reasons. It makes sense, thinking about it from that angle...
What REALLY bothers me about the situation is that;
a) they didn't have demo models of all the products. Only a few of them - so I couldn't see/feel the product to know it was too loud before buying it.
b) there was absolutely NO signage or indication from the sales associate that no returns or exchanges were allowed before I bought it.
c) the manager refused to come speak to me directly. He/she was "too busy" to talk to a customer who had a problem. What kind of customer service is that???

Since the Cabelas store opened in Calgary, ive been torn between them and Bass Pro. I like some of the cabelas products better, but bass pro is larger and has more selection and is a little closer to my home (Airdrie). This experience has completely soured me to Cabelas. I won't be spending any more of my hard-earned money there, and I would urge every single one of you to double and triple check BEFORE you make a purchase there, to ensure that their "customer satisfaction guarantee" applied to whatever you're looking at.

So that's my rant. I'm done.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Banned

Whilst I agree that they should have had a demo...it doesn't matter where you to...Cabelas, Wholesale, Sears, Homesense...nobody takes back bedding, it's common knowledge.
Recently moved my mother into a seniors facility. Had to buy new bed and bedding even though hers was only a year or two old.
Blame the bedbug problem that has arrived in our country along with our new immigrants.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:07 PM

To top it off, BP and Cabelas are now same Co anyway....
Old 03-19-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
That merger is pending approval, its not yet finalized:

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...as-merger.html
Old 03-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post

Nope. And the drop in my cabelas shares proves it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2017, 03:57 PM

There was no clarification in the store or on your paperwork (receipt), signage in store expresses that they will happily return items within 90 days. If you wanna spend time fighting it, I'm sure you would probably win, the store should have happily returned your money, and fixed their problem, instead of making it yours. The no return policy, and the fact that there was no demo would have probably, rerouted your choice, but fighting this will be very similar to banging your head on a brick wall!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:03 PM

I would still hunt down the manager, talk with him or her and also let it be known you will spread the word on social media.

Him not being available is just a way of a real poor mgr. avoiding a customer and pawning you off to some one else to take the heat.

Do not let this cowardly mgr get off without at least addressing the issue with you face to face.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Banned

http://www.cabelas.ca/pages/return-policy

It lists the mattresses/pads in the Final Sale section here as being non-returnable. If not, it should be clear in the store also.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Banned

No demo, but why didn't you open the box in the store to check it out before you bought it?
Then they would have a demo ready to go and you would know what it is you are buying.

frustrating as it is, it's always buyer beware,
even in the stores.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:28 PM

Cabelas is a hunting and fishing department store. If you're in the market for specialty gear, like backcountry stuff especially, go somewhere that deals almost exclusively in it. Campers village, MEC, Atmosphere, Valhalla Pure, etc. The person that likely talked you into your purchase may have never spent a single night in a tent, let alone done any sort of back country camping. When I'm in the market for a set of tires, I go to a tire shop, not Canadian tire or Walmart. Just because they sell tires, doesn't mean that they know about tires.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:38 PM

I agree with pretty much everything that you all had to say - but like I outlined in the post: it really doesn't bother me that their policy is no returns or exchanges on mattress - regardless of the fact that nobody slept on it or blew it up by mouth - I totally get that. What bothers the hell out of me is that there was absolutely NO signage anywhere in the store indicating the policy regarding the bedding (I would have thought there would be a sign on the wall, just like there is by the firearms counter), that there were no demos available to check out the product before buying it, and most especially the complete lack of customer service by the managers to handle the problem... anytime a manager is "too busy" to deal with a customer's issue, that speaks volumes about their attitude and priorities.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:32 PM

Same as underwear.

I bought some, realized it was the wrong size in the parking lot, they wouldn't allow me to return it ten minutes later still in its factory sealed bag.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Same as underwear.

I bought some, realized it was the wrong size in the parking lot, they wouldn't allow me to return it ten minutes later still in its factory sealed bag.
yups .. but I also I agree with the no return policy on some items ... just think about it .... new or used ...lol... yikes
Old 03-19-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Whilst I agree that they should have had a demo...it doesn't matter where you to...Cabelas, Wholesale, Sears, Homesense...nobody takes back bedding, it's common knowledge.
Recently moved my mother into a seniors facility. Had to buy new bed and bedding even though hers was only a year or two old.
Blame the bedbug problem that has arrived in our country along with our new immigrants.
Totally agree. I hate that them immigrants brought bed bugs to North America. Also the Starlings, English Sparrows and Dandylions.

If the Brits, French, Spanish had not been allowed to come here we would be bed bug free.

http://www.bedbugs.org/the-history-of-bed-bugs/

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM

Costco takes returns on matresses and underwear. Don't even need the receipt.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
Costco takes returns on matresses and underwear. Don't even need the receipt.
Note to self: Don't buy underwear at Costco.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
Note to self: Don't buy underwear at Costco.
LOL really
Old 03-20-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Well, there's a load of crap.

Mattress Mattress will exchange any bed used with a cover.
Both Ikea and Costco will exchange or refund any mattress for ANY reason up to 45 days.
Know what the latter 2 do with them when you return them? They throw them in the garbage.
They stand behind their products enough, and feel that they offer enough chance for 'education' that it's a fair risk. Costco also sells sleeping pads. I see their stock is going up also.
OP, thanks for the head's up. I for one would have thought since neither the poorly trained staff member,
nor the poorly trained cashier explained anything to you other than tell you what to buy, they should be happy to return your product at THEIR learning expense, not yours. The fact that a manager was 'too busy' to address your concerns speaks volumes of the training at that store.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:58 AM

personally if i was the manager since i didn't have one on display i would of taken it back and put it on display and put a sign up for future customers.i kept a customer and their should of been one on display.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 PM
Banned

Default .

Quote:

l,ll scratch to that , here ,here
Old 03-19-2017, 04:01 PM

Consider using it for a few nights at home to see if it changes after a number of uses. You may be able to save it. Thermarest is a decent brand. It should work.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2017, 04:49 PM

I'm glad they don't take back air mattresses.
Knowing they don't makes me more willing to buy one there.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:05 PM

I think its pretty clear its a policy! Talking with a manager is a mute point and a waste of time. Would you have written a praising post if the manager had refunded your money. I think we need to have a 24 hour cooling off period on the site before one can post about how they feel they were wronged in their opinion.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM

It sounds like a sound policy, to not take back bedding. Sorry about your luck on the purchase.

imo cabelas and bass pro both have crappy camping sections. Unless you need a propane powered ice cream maker, or a camo camp chair!

One question for the OP, what was your rush to make the purchase anyway? Its March for gods sake! Your son likley wont need it til summer.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:45 PM

All they have is your word that you didn't use it. It's there policy. If u sold a bed and the person wanted to return it would you take there word and that chance

Old 03-19-2017, 10:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Meh

Pick and choose your battles and where you spend your money.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Pick and choose your battles and where you spend your money.
THIS^^

I'm not going to make a big deal of this, just chalk it up as a $150 lesson and call it a day. My point was never to get a big debate/argument going about this - in fact the title sums up my thoughts on it entirely - I'll just be spending my $ at Bass Pro, or MEC, or even amazon.
It was simply a little online rant, and as I said before - hoping someone else can learn from this, and make clear the return policy on something before you take the store associate's word on its quality. That's it.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Took a business course once and they said if you make 100% of your customers happy 100% of the time you will lose money.

Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM

Save yourself a lot of stress and grief and go by your 14yr old son a pair of ear plugs if he is such a lite sleeper. Chances are the owls hooting woill keep him awake as well . I mean really ,3 pages over a "loud air mattress"? Maybe he might be more comfy at the Hilton.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Save yourself a lot of stress and grief and go by your 14yr old son a pair of ear plugs if he is such a lite sleeper. Chances are the owls hooting woill keep him awake as well . I mean really ,3 pages over a "loud air mattress"? Maybe he might be more comfy at the Hilton.
POST OF THE WEEK! Hilarious!

All things aside, OP, I would be a little ticked off as well.
However, lesson learned and there are ways of getting around it.
Try selling it off on Kijiji for a reduced price, you could probably recover a good chunk of your loss.