Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 04:56 PM

Default Obsession Lawless

Thinking of pulling the trigger on the new obsession Lawless. Not going to lie, I'm a speed freak. I've never shot an obsession bow but like anything else I've heard good things and bad things. With this bow being so new it's hard to find a review talking about the actual shooting experience. I love speed but speed is nothing without being comfortable. There are other models that are VERY similar to this one (fx6) but from what I can tell basically just the brace height. I already have a 350fps class bow (motive 6) with a 6" brace height and I've never experienced any issues with it being unforgiving. Obviously comparing a different bow and manufacturer is like comparing apples to oranges.

I really do like my bow and the only reason I started to look at other options was I switched to heavy arrows for my moose hunting this year. (I'm now using 600gr arrows) They did the job and I was happy with the penetration. With that said, some people (myself being one of them) always want more. I'm already at max poundage (71lbs). I can already shoot my bow 100 times in one session without sacrificing accuracy. Ive heard numerous times and read on many forums 'you don't need more poundage'. To me that's like telling someone they don't need a 300wm, cause there 270 will do the job just fine. That person is correct, but that other person still has the right to want more power if you want it. With that said I still wanted and still want an 80lb bow. That lead me to my initial sesrch. I'm interested in the lawless or for that matter any bow that has an ibo of 350 (same as mine) or higher, but offering an 80lb limb option. It wouldn't make sense to me to get a 330 ibo rated bow and then get the 80lb limbs cause in that instance I'd be right where I started off anyways.

Sorry for the long winded write up, my main worries are;

-should I be worried about switching to a 5" brace height from the 6" brace height
-do obsession bows hold true to there ibo ratings? Ive heard alot of manufacturers don't. But even if they advertise 370 and it's actually bat 350, when I get the 80lbs limbs I'll be better off. Plus the 90% let off is a bonus.
-ive called around and surprise surprise, no one has the new lawless. Let alone one in a lefty with 80lb limbs for me to try. Obviously a first idea would be to try the bow out first. This is kinda why I'm here, asking your opinions on obsession bows. Maybe I'll find another brand that I can try that fits my criteria.

Is there anything in missing I should be thinking about? Don't get me wrong, my bow works fine and I am quite happy with it. I'm not the guy the buys a new bow every year. Not that there's anything wrong with that either, to each there own. I just want heavy arrows and I want more speed. I could always cut down a little weight on the arrows and still have speed, I might just do that. I'm open to your thoughts.

Talk me in our out of my conundrum. I'm open to thoughts.

Last edited by ramonmark; 11-13-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:16 PM

I think you will be dissapointed.

ALL bow companies inflate their IBOs... Obsession has a reputation of taking inflate to even higher levels.

From the reviews I read and watched it's a 350 fps bow.

The only bow I ever shot that came close to IBO was Destroyer 350.....

https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showt...5569617&page=2
Old 04-07-2019, 12:46 AM

If you want some real speed you should look for a used PSE Omen with 80# limbs. These bows are the fastest produced at ibo conditions. They were rated at 366 fps and most were actually quicker than that once they were tuned. I had a buddy that was hitting 372 fps at 5 grains/#. For real. After PSE whipped everyones pants in the speed game everyone started focusing on "comfort" and "shootability" imagine that! They were horrible to shoot! Be like a .300 Warbird.....just imagine that!

As far as current production bows go, Darton makes some that are rated at 355 that actually make it. You might want to check them out too. Not sure if they make an 80# model.

Lol, have fun!

Norm
Old 04-07-2019, 08:19 AM

Look at the Mako from Xpedition Archery. Report on AT is that it makes IBO

Speed: 364.
Bow Weight: 3.9 pounds.
Brace Height: 5 inches.
Axle-to-Axle: 33.31 inches.
Draw Weight: 60, 65, 70 and 75 pounds.
Draw Length: 24.5-30 inches.
Let-Off: 80 percent.
MSRP: $1,099. USD
Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 AM

For myself, if I was going speed bow I would pick something that could be purchased and serviced locally by a reputable pro-shop. I had a niche market “speed” bow a High Country Speed Pro X10, using a super light arrow it shot over 400fps yes you read that right, it was warrantied to 3.5gr/lbs. BUT no one carried them locally and getting service was a huge pain...wasn’t worth it to own one.

LC
Old 04-07-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
For myself, if I was going speed bow I would pick something that could be purchased and serviced locally by a reputable pro-shop. I had a niche market “speed” bow a High Country Speed Pro X10, using a super light arrow it shot over 400fps yes you read that right, it was warrantied to 3.5gr/lbs. BUT no one carried them locally and getting service was a huge pain...wasn’t worth it to own one.

LC
I had one too, but they were still only ibo rated at 355. With an ibo arrow my destroyer 350 would keep pace with it quite easily.
Old 04-07-2019, 04:21 PM

IMHO

A 5" b.h bow is not what you want to be shooting when a 6x6 Elk is in your sights or 40"+ Moose....LOL.

Just saying.

I like 7" B.H bows that are rated between 335-340 fps....seems to be the sweet spot for hunting rigs.

E35 is what I am shooting and just trying a Stevens Prevailer that I bought used.