Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 03:24 PM

I used to be way more gung ho about golf but still get in 20 to 25 rounds a year. Hitting D'Arcy Ranch in Okotoks tomorrow. One of my favourite courses in the Calgary area. Wayne Gretzky was my best ball partner at Gozzer Ranch Idaho last year. One of my golf highlights. A good guy and pretty good golfer too. Smokes cigars the size of his forearm!
Old 05-25-2018, 07:16 PM

Default golf

I play Lakewood in sylvan Lake. I'm just getting back into it after a break of 10 years. enjoying it again.
I often have a spot to fill up my foursome if someone wants to come out.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:14 PM

Cochrane based here...

Personally can't stand Glen Eagles. Total gimmick and the wind is non stop. Gophers all over the place for $120 on the wknd? No thanks.

Love Watervalley and Wintergreen. Awesome value.
Sundre is a hidden gem.

Playing Lorette in KCountry on Sunday. So happy they are back in the rotation.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjockey View Post
Jamie,
I've golfed The Ranch, The Links, Northern Bear and Coal Creek (3X). Coal Creek by far has been the best yet. Another couple weeks and I will have my VIP card paid for.

RJ
played the ranch twice last yr ..my first time and last time too many hidden landing areas from your t shots.same as coal creek. white tail landing in mundar
same designer a lot better track. links last nite greens were real bad only 2 were actually grass rest were painted and real bumpy second round of yr 79 with 35 putts lots of missed 4 or 5 ft putts , so can't really complain.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
Cochrane based here...

Personally can't stand Glen Eagles. Total gimmick and the wind is non stop. Gophers all over the place for $120 on the wknd? No thanks.

Sundre is a hidden gem.

Can’t believe you were first to say water valley, best course for price. Stewart creek, greywolf, radium springs and most other kootney course are good if you want to pay. Nanton, turner valley are 2 others close to calgary that are good and fairly cheap. And being from Kelowna most courses in okanagan are stellar. My problem is no money. Enjoy the courses
Old 05-26-2018, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
Cochrane based here...

Sundre is a hidden gem.

Please let us know how it goes.. Pics would be great!
Old 05-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Banned

I was invited to play a course I never had before on Thursday.
Heather Glen.

Yeah.... Though my playing partner was fun, I would doubt I would go back. The Tee Boxes were like teeing off of some overused, dried out Elementary school baseball field.
Greens were alright, Lots of noise from the highway, inconsiderate grounds crew, Carts were about to break down...

You get what you pay for here
Old 05-26-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Please let us know how it goes.. Pics would be great!

Will do.
Their social media channels are very much active if you want to see pics from those who've played it so far in 2018.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:45 PM

Default luv golfin

I just got a membership to Country Hills, always went to Harvest but since it closed I had no where public close by. I play quite a bit and figured it was time to bite the bullet. Very happy so far, I'm already 15 rounds in for the season.
I played pretty much every course in and around Calgary minus a few private places. Spend a few weeks in kelowna every summer as well, plenty of boys trips during the winters to Vegas as well.
Favs in AB: Innisfail, Water Valley, Wintergreen. BC: Shadow Mtn, Eagle Ranch, Tower Ranch, Hyde Mtn.
Played Palm Springs in Jan & it was great, got to play PGA west (Stadium) a few weeks before the PGA. Hoping to make it to Phoenix some time soon.
Outside of my club I played Gleneagles (like that track) and Stewert Creek (fairways are in rough shape this year, I'm also off to Kananskis tomorrow!
Old 05-27-2018, 02:09 AM

Good post, I haven't played since my college days in the states about 5 years ago. But i'm looking to get back into it as I just moved here from the LML. Played from Scotland to China in my hay day on the Canadian junior team. Best course was Kingsbarn, or Carnoustie. Whats a good value course within 1.5hrs of SE calgary
Old 05-27-2018, 03:05 AM

Default Westlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockjockey View Post
Jamie,
I've golfed The Ranch, The Links, Northern Bear and Coal Creek (3X). Coal Creek by far has been the best yet. Another couple weeks and I will have my VIP card paid for.

RJ
Give Westlock GC a go, it is my home course, greens are in awesome condition this year(and most years) I believe it is a VIP course...there are a lot of good courses up this way...Athabasca is nice, Whitecourt, Barrhead...all good tracks...
Old 05-27-2018, 09:17 AM

Thanks Kevwood
I play Barrhead a couple times a year and it is awesome. Westlock is nice as well, last time I was up there was a long time ago. I'll probably play it this summer though.
We are really lucky with all the great courses within an hour of the greater Edmonton area and the reasonable rates that are being charged.

RJ
Old 05-27-2018, 12:46 PM

Played Fernie Fri. & Sat What a beautiful and challenging and reasonable course.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:10 PM

Not really a golfer but have walked around lots of different courses. Hinton should be on everyone's list who ever drives through there. The Dunes in Grande Prairie is another very nice course, not as scenic as Hinton. Kananaskis has already been mentionsed. The new 9 holes in Drumheller are truly spectacular. The old course in Red deer is a beautiful course but you need to go with a member.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Not really a golfer but have walked around lots of different courses. Hinton should be on everyone's list who ever drives through there. The Dunes in Grande Prairie is another very nice course, not as scenic as Hinton. Kananaskis has already been mentionsed. The new 9 holes in Drumheller are truly spectacular. The old course in Red deer is a beautiful course but you need to go with a member.
What new 9 holes in drum?
Old 05-27-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
What new 9 holes in drum?
Back 9 of the Dinosaur Trail Course were added later. I call them new but they were probably built 25 or more years ago. First front 9 were put in about 1965. Quite a while later the back nine was added. The front 9 are pretty but the back 9 are truly spectacular.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:47 PM

Trestle creek west of Edmonton!!! One of my favourite courses in alberta !!
Old 06-23-2018, 06:47 PM

Haven't golfed in 2.5 years, and played Athabasca Golf And Country Club today. Beautiful course, and just the right amount of challenge. I shot an 86, which is what I'd expect to shoot 2.5 years ago, so I'm right where I left off.

J
Old 06-23-2018, 11:23 PM

Played kananaskis Friday pretty good shape.
IMG_1146.mov.
Stewart creek today. Very wet on the front nine but back nine was decent.

Silver tip tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2018, 11:26 PM

Default Any Golfers on here?

Anyways had a grizz come out on the fairway on one of the holes but can’t get the video to load.

Last edited by sweld; 06-23-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:28 AM

So they will close all the hiking/walking trails for weeks because someone saw a griz, but the golf course stays open?
Old 06-24-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
So they will close all the hiking/walking trails for weeks because someone saw a griz, but the golf course stays open?
People pay to use the course, not to hike/walk
Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 AM

Our 20th annual "Hundred Holes of Hell" tournament at Waterton Golf Course was relocated to Picture Butte. Last year. We'll be going back to Waterton this year. The fairways weren't touched but the landscape around the fairways will be a lot different. Looking forward to it. Love that course.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:52 PM

41 rounds done now all at the Elk Point course
Old 06-24-2018, 07:03 PM

I played K- Country on the 7th-8th, the back nine of Kidd was closed and won't be open until mid August i heard. Played the front of Kidd and both nines of Lorrette. Course was in good shape, but the greens were very hard and sandy.

I'm playing RedWood Meadows for the first on Monday, has anyone played there before ?

I play quite abit at Coyote Creek in Sundre, fun track, and also the Sundre Club on top of the hill, 2 completely different courses in my opinion , both fun and challenging.

Hoping to play D'Arcy ranch or Winter Green this year as well.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
I played K- Country on the 7th-8th, the back nine of Kidd was closed and won't be open until mid August i heard. Played the front of Kidd and both nines of Lorrette. Course was in good shape, but the greens were very hard and sandy.

I'm playing RedWood Meadows for the first on Monday, has anyone played there before ?

I play quite abit at Coyote Creek in Sundre, fun track, and also the Sundre Club on top of the hill, 2 completely different courses in my opinion , both fun and challenging.

Hoping to play D'Arcy ranch or Winter Green this year as well.
D'Arcy Ranch is one of if not my favourite course in Calgary area. Redwood is OK, but pretty flat in my opinion.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 AM

Now living in EDM after 30 years in CGY...only played a few course up here, so far The Ranch is looking like the best value for quality. Also played Legends ( just ok) and highlands ( old river valley course but lots of fairway winterkill) Just got back from our annual weekend at Wolf Creek...we played 54 holes this time...old tired and sore today but those courses are my favourites in Alberta. Great value and Friday night we were the only ones on the south nine...check out Where Canada meets Scotland.....
Old 06-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Couple weeks back i purchased a new 3 wood calliway epic. WOW!!! its like cheating, so today i broke doan and dropped $600 on the big bertha epic driver. Unreal distance and accuracy. $1000 in 1 week on 3 clubs..... i may have a problem. Lol
Old 06-25-2018, 01:32 PM

Playing out of the Ponoka Community course regularly. Also some other local tracks which aren't too bad. Innisfail, Pine Hills (RMH), Sundre, Red Deer G&CC, and Riverbend is ok. Playing a couple rounds at Trickle Creek this weekend.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:00 PM

Played silver tip on Sunday

And finally broke 80 on my home course in redwater