Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2018, 01:52 PM

Your bin has much more smoke than ours today it seems.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 06-23-2018, 02:15 PM

Fox - Going back to school for year 3. Did Flames have a feeling that they will lose him for nothing?
Ferland - WAY too inconsistent. His games gotten softer. No big loss, especially trading him out of conference.
Hamilton - When the Flames traded for his brother, I suspected that Dougie was the high maintenance type. Just a feeling on my part. Still, he was a core player for the Flames. Tough to lose him.

Hanifin - good young d-man. Younger than Hamilton. Shoots left. Flames will move Brodie back to the right side where he is more effective. I like this aspect of the trade.

Lindholm - good young right winger, which the Flames need. Scored 16 with Carolina last year. Should be able to get at least 17 with
the Flames. I like this aspect of the trade as well.

Overall, Carolina got the best player. Calgary got two good young players in return. I think Calgary could have done better, seeing as they gave up Fox.

Carolina wins trade, but of course, the verdict won't be known for a few more seasons.

Waiting for it. Carolina acquires Freddie.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Your bin has much more smoke than ours today it seems.
Did Lucic get traded?
Old 06-23-2018, 02:40 PM

Bill Peters must have really liked Hanifin and Lindholm. Hamilton is for worth more than Hanifin (especially since he’s an RHD), and last season Ferland and Lindhom has almost identical PPG, with Ferland also really bringing an edge to his game. Fox seems like a good RHD prospect.

I want to see Oilers try and pry Hamilton out of Carolina’s hands now in the style of Sharks flipping Hoffman. Trade RNH+Russell for Hamilton+(enter 3rd line winger on a ~3-4m area contract) and use Hamilton as an RHD one or two year stop gap while we wait for Bouchard and Bear to continue to develop before entering the show. Maybe Oilers add a 3rd or 2nd to sweeten the pot

Without Lindholm, Canes lost one of their best centers, and they just drafted a player who models their game after RNH. Cap hits between RNH and Hamilton almost the same. Canes get a decent LHD, and Oilers get a decent depth winger and get Russell off the books.

Who says no?
Old 06-23-2018, 02:48 PM

Some players to sign, yes, but Calagry has about $25M in cap space now. Wonder if a second move is coming.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Hanifin had 10 goals last year and Linholm had 16. Hamilton had 17 as a d-man, not sure who the "much needed goal scorer" is in the deal.
Should have known you of all people would have picked that out and had a comment. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:09 PM

Guess Ishould have said potential goal scorrer. Either way I liked Ferland better when he crushed people, when he went to first line and tried to be skill player that wrcked him.
Hamilton was good for sure but need to give to get, just hope it works out.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Should have known you of all people would have picked that out and had a comment. Thanks for the input.
Your welcome.

But I started this thread about the Oilers getting a great draft pick. Then a bunch of sore flames showed and needed for some reason to convince us that the flames were fine without draft picks this year.

I will make sure I check with you next time before commenting on my own thread.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:37 PM

Appriciate that, thanks. Thought it was a general Draft Day thread, didn't see the Oilers only part. Have a good one.

Last edited by Rig-Rat; 06-23-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Your welcome.

But I started this thread about the Oilers getting a great draft pick. Then a bunch of sore flames showed and needed for some reason to convince us that the flames were fine without draft picks this year.

I will make sure I check with you next time before commenting on my own thread.
You know those Calgary Flames fans really have nothing to talk about in Cow-Town. Their flames will be moving out of town soon, so all they’ve got to talk about is the team in Edmonton!

BW
Old 06-23-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
You know those Calgary Flames fans really have nothing to talk about in Cow-Town. Their flames will be moving out of town soon, so all they’ve got to talk about is the team in Edmonton!

BW
Maybe, just maybe they will in the end have a big shiny new arena that will undoubtedly cost their taxpayer a heckuva lot more than ours which has already been an immeasurable revenue generator that has transformed our skyline and downtown core.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Guess Ishould have said potential goal scorrer. Either way I liked Ferland better when he crushed people, when he went to first line and tried to be skill player that wrcked him.
Hamilton was good for sure but need to give to get, just hope it works out.
I have always wondered if his body couldn't continue at that level.
That was the most incredible piece of body work I have ever seen. Go watch the Ferland video of that series just to remind yourself again.

I also thought the coaches had wanted him to change his game. Its like he had to re invent himself.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Ha!!! Takes one ya know one bub!

Cept our dumpster fire team dominated yours last season.

And we’z Gonna dominate you this season too!

Ooooooh baby!

Go Oil!!
Dumpster fire teams trade league mvps for an underperforming d man, ruin countless 1st overall picks and top 10's, take over 10 years to rebuild... and still aren't rebuilt after adding a generational talent. Cant say the same about Calgary fortunately we have a class act organization. We even make another great trade today always improving and getting younger.

Dump the locker room cancer and d man who can't play in his own zone for a much younger guy with equal offense numbers in their first three years, who is a much more overall rounded d man with a higher potential. Trade high on ferland(26) who's numbers are inflated from playing with Johnny and monny due to lack of RW depth, who is a 3rd liner on most teams, for lindholm(23) who is good for 40 pts a year and probably more, has way better offensive and defensive capabilities. Lindholm and hanifin are young and have very high ceilings they will only improve and both are core players. All signs pointed towards fox not signing so no loss there. Tre will grab another top 6 or 9 ufa with our 10mill in cap space, can't wait for next season.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:12 AM

Really????

How many years in the NHL?

How many cups?

Flames are still riding 1 fluke cup win that really was a Montreal lose as opposed to a Calgary win.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:36 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Well another long day and my name was not called.....jeepers eh.
Thought there was a basement team that needed a fella to fill water bottles and then work myself into the line up....if they all got the flu or something.
Maybe next year.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-24-2018, 08:00 AM

It really was refreshing to see Edmonton address a longstanding, glaring need in a draft where they could have taken anything (unlike previous years when they've usually picked first and had the pick spelled out for them).

The kid will likely take a couple of years to stick (hope so, anyways; don't rush him and screw him up like we've been prone to do in the past) so not sure how he helps the roster this year. I still feel like Klefbom can do that job well enough when healthy.

Funny seeing this thread devolve into a Flames-Oilers hatefest. There is zero point arguing about which team is better at this point, or hanging onto cup seasons gone by. Both teams played like garbage last year. Start chasing actual contenders. Battle of Alberta is much better when it doesn't feel like the Flint Michigan Megabowl every time...

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well another long day and my name was not called.....jeepers eh.
Thought there was a basement team that needed a fella to fill water bottles and then work myself into the line up....if they all got the flu or something.
Maybe next year.
May be you could be the goalie. Seems like both Alberta teams could use some goalie help
Old 06-24-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Funny seeing this thread devolve into a Flames-Oilers hatefest. There is zero point arguing about which team is better at this point, or hanging onto cup seasons gone by. Both teams played like garbage last year. Start chasing actual contenders. Battle of Alberta is much better when it doesn't feel like the Flint Michigan Megabowl every time...
I’m not sure how old you are Prairiewolf, but it you’re old enough you will know that there is a Mason-Dixon Line in Alberta when it comes to sports. It doesn’t matter what sport, or which league the North will battle the South always!

That’s just the way it is!

BW
Old 06-24-2018, 10:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
May be you could be the goalie. Seems like both Alberta teams could use some goalie help
I could flop around like luongo did when he was with the Canucks....my style is go down, stay down until the whistle then the linesmen can help me up before dropping the puck!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-24-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I could flop around like luongo did when he was with the Canucks....my style is go down, stay down until the whistle then the linesmen can help me up before dropping the puck!

That sounds like the perfect metaphor of my love life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2018, 01:20 PM

I've been watching a bit of the FIFA World Cup games, because I wanted to expand my sports horizons, and it's a lot like watching the Flames play...lots of 'Johnny Gaudreau's' shaking their hands, falling down, calling for penalties, lots of situations where it almost looks like somebody may score and then nothing happens, lots of referees waving their hands around and doing really nothing for all intents and purposes...and pretty boring for the most part.

At least it's played in a nice facility, so in that respect it's kind of like the Oilers dumpster fire.......

Overall it's a bit like watching wrestling, totally real.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-24-2018, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Really????

How many years in the NHL?

How many cups?

Flames are still riding 1 fluke cup win that really was a Montreal lose as opposed to a Calgary win.
A fluke win, really? Don't let your fan boy adulation for the soilers blind you to facts or anything.
Back then the Flames had won two consecutive President's trophy's and missed a third by two points. Yeah, I guess that would make them a long shot to even make the playoffs, let alone a fluke win.

Whatever, it's really all about creating your own reality isn't it?
Old 06-24-2018, 04:38 PM

Well said.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-24-2018, 04:58 PM

Francis said it today. Hamilton lost his edge when his brother was traded and he didn’t care if they won or lost, he was making bank. Must be some reason he’s been traded twice in the last 3 years....
Too bad about Ferland though he had great heart and played well with the top line but will cost them a lot of money if he does it again so send him on his way.
Fox was never going to play in Calgary, just didn’t want to so bye bye.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=YYC338;3802986]A fluke win, really? Don't let your fan boy adulation for the soilers blind you to facts or anything.
Back then the Flames had won two consecutive President's trophy's and missed a third by two points. Yeah, I guess that would make them a long shot to even make the playoffs, let alone a fluke win.

Whatever, it's really all about creating your own reality isn't it?[/QUOTE

hehehe
Old 06-24-2018, 08:16 PM

I seriously don’t see an upside for the Oilers this year. Same team....
Old 06-24-2018, 08:46 PM

Default Blasphemer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I seriously don’t see an upside for the Oilers this year. Same team....
We’re gonna storm back baby!

We got the $ to pick up a winger..... then it’s playoff land baby!!!

Go Oil!
Old 06-24-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
We’re gonna storm back baby!

We got the $ to pick up a winger..... then it’s playoff land baby!!!

Go Oil!
And this is why you shouldn't mix Red Bull and shatter.....be safe out there kids, heed the warning.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:10 PM

Oh imma thinkin some big wagers Twix you an me bub.....

Yer gonna pay big time!

Go Oil!
Old 06-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
That sounds like the perfect metaphor of my love life. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edit: not a sarcastic laugh... just a normal one