Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Here we go again...

Yep, here we go again, just like last year. One day from the rifle opener here in the south and I have no f'n clue where I am going to start. I have had the time to do a bunch of pre-season scouting but it hasn't turned up much. My little cousin has a Muliebuck tag for 148 and I'm thinking Hargraves but so is everybody else with a Mulie tag in 148. I personally never hunt hargraves or the drowning ford during rifle because of the traffic, does anybody hunt these places is it wise to stay away for the opener? We are young and don't mind a hike to get away from the crowds but hate walking miles just to crest the hill and spot nothing but other hunters. Anybody here else hunt 148? Mind sharing a secret or two? Probably not, but it's worth a try. Good luck guys and happy hunting
Old 10-31-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Wmu 148

I hunted 148 lastyear and we seen alot of Mulie's.There is a BIG 5x5 white tail buck hangin out between Davies and Drowning Ford aswell, Rough score 180-190.First time I saw him I thought he was a big mulie. Drowning ford is quite busy but if your in the right spot at the right time there is more than enough to go around. I have been out there and seen lots and other times next to nothing. First day would be busy but you will probably see more deer than say the last week of hunting. I shot my first white tail doe there last year. This year my cousin and I are headed south to 118 for Mule buck and doe and White tail buck and doe. Goin for my first bucks this year. G'luck to you Guys. Shoot straight, hunt hard!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:07 PM

Hey Hatfisher,

My partner and I will be in 118 after Mulie bucks too - on the 8th/9th & 10th.
Gotta date with a white-tail elsewhere over the next couple of days!

Some nice deer in 118, and we choose it because it's almost all foot access only. No oil lease roads, no quads, no truck traffic, just rolling grass and coulees as far as the eye can see. If you enjoy doing a lot of walking and stetching your eyes - you'll love it.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Wmu118

I love it out there. I lived out there from the time I was 3 till i was 12. Grew up on the short grass ranch 21miles south of elkwater. That's where we will be hunting. Perhaps we will run into each other out there if we haven't filled our tags by then. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:30 PM

Yup I know what you mean Hatfisher. This year I have no moose tag so I am not headed out to the bush. I don't really have a plan for opening day.
I have spent almost everyday of the past few weeks scouting and have had 7 trail cameras up most of the year.
Today I was a little luckier. Right before dark tonight, I spoted a good WT buck. At least now I know where I am headed tomorrow.
Good luck out there this year.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-07-2007, 10:20 AM

I used to hunt 148 almost exclusively for my Muly bucks but finally got sick of all the hunters.
Moved down south to 118 and love it there,foot access everywhere(mostly),big animals and if you don't want to run into any other hunters then just walk a little farther from the road.....lots of road hunters!!!
I bought a deer cart so getting an animal out is so much easier now!!

As far as hunting 148 goes after the 2nd week I've found that alot of animals get pushed out of the river hills and into the open fields,hiding in cover that you would normally not glance at.
There are alot of draws and small coullies away from the river that deer just love.

Hargraves actually seems to get pretty slow for hunters after the 1st week but it's sorta hard to take watching all the deer running around on the Sask side(not to mention that it''s hard to say when you in Alberta or Sask).
As far as hunting Davies and/or Drowning Ford it's all pretty much luck....

Took the muly below last Friday in 118.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 283051.jpg (44.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 283052.jpg (58.5 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by madatter; 11-07-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Well I stayed in 148 for opening weekend and it was a zoo. Lots of road hunters but once you got off the beaten path it wasn't so bad. Never harvested anything but seen lots. Maybe this will be my week.