Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-09-2015, 04:47 PM

Default Coyotes - parasite control?

In the 'Parasite Control' section of the Miscellaneous Gear page on Jason de Jong's CoyoteCanada.ca, he touches on his approach to this subject: "...I carry a can of raid with me in my backpack and use it liberally on any coyote I am lucky enough to take. When I get the pelt off the coyote, I'll give the whole nine yards an additional dose of Raid and toss the whole nine yards into a garbage bag to sit for at least a couple of hours."

His treatise seems pretty convincing, yet I don't recall seeing this kind of advice on any of the other coyote hunting sites/blogs I've come across. Thought I'd check here - do any of the other coyote hunters here do something like this themselves?
Old 11-09-2015, 04:49 PM

Pretty common for flea control....
Old 11-10-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Pretty common for flea control....
I was thinking the same thing....has to be to rid the pelt of parasites/insects

Old 11-10-2015, 12:54 PM

Mange is carried by fleas I've been told... So, if I shoot a yote that appears to have it, I take an extra large garbage bag, hold it so that I grab the yote with the inside of the bag, and roll it inside... Then I use a can of raid on the inside of the bag to kill the fleas before burning the carcass...

On a side note, mange is a nasty problem to have in cattle...
Old 11-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Had to put down a coyote last week end that hazmat snared last weekend. Snare caught it around the back legs No permission was granted there for him. F&W was called in. Never seen so many fleas on one animal
Old 11-10-2015, 09:47 PM

Trappers put the yapper in a bag and spray with raid for a couple hours before skinning. Wear rubber or surgical gloves and long sleeves for safety too.

And fleas carry mange in a round about way. Fleas might be infested with the parasitic mites that carry mange. Mange is often transferred at the den site. The parasitic mite will transfer from animal to animal from the roof of the den and close quarters.

The warmer the weather the more fleas it seems. During good cold winters it seems there are a lot less fleas.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Banned

I used to spray them really good with raid (between the legs, under the arms), throw them into a garbage bag and spray more Raid in before closing the bag. I'd let them sit for at least an hour, most of the time longer. Then I found that there were very few fleas, if any, on them. Maybe it's just not a big problem around here, I don't know.

I'm not sure why the authour of the article would Raid it and put it into a bag AFTER skinning it???? Doesn't it make more sense to do that before skinning it so the fleas aren't jumping onto you and inside of your shed? Maybe he's skinning them in the field and just taking the pelt home.

Now fox and weasels on the other hand don't even get near the shed before they get the Raid! Every one that I have caught has always been infested with fleas.

Last edited by HunterDave; 11-10-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:15 AM

Fleas aren't too bad once it gets nice and cold.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm not sure why the authour of the article would Raid it and put it into a bag AFTER skinning it???? Doesn't it make more sense to do that before skinning it so the fleas aren't jumping onto you and inside of your shed? Maybe he's skinning them in the field and just taking the pelt home
From the information on his site it looks like he skins in the field, hitting the animal with Raid before beginning to skin and then again once the pelt goes into the bag for the trip home.

He mentions he also launders his hunting clothes and showers upon returning home. That portion of the discussion revolved mainly around fleas and prevention of flea infestation of the home.

Edit to add: Looks like he lives & hunts in the Calgary area.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:26 PM

I do it with Permethrin, I heard a lot of people use Raid.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:53 PM

Default Mange not caused by fleas

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Mange is carried by fleas I've been told... So, if I shoot a yote that appears to have it, I take an extra large garbage bag, hold it so that I grab the yote with the inside of the bag, and roll it inside... Then I use a can of raid on the inside of the bag to kill the fleas before burning the carcass...

On a side note, mange is a nasty problem to have in cattle...
Actually mange is caused by the bite of a mite, called the sarcoptic mite, which makes tunnels in the skin, which causes bleeding and eventually crusted lesions and hairloss. Nasty nasty disease. Coyotes (and wolves) with severe cases of mange suffer a lot.

Interestingly, ivermectin kills those mites, so infested cattle (pigs get it too) are treated with ivomec.

The main problem for trappers and hunters of coyotes is having the fleas hop onto and bite them. A pain in the.......

ticdoc
Old 11-11-2015, 04:20 PM

I find a liberal raid bath while hanging works good. I generally only wait 2 minutes before I start skinning. I would be skinning until 2am if I left them in a garbage bag for 2 hours lol. Don't worry about it.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 PM

Nice to know about the info. Thanks guys!